People just don't care | Page 5 | FerrariChat

People just don't care

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by barranr, Mar 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    FasterisBetter:
    Don't get too carried away. I'm a lawyer, too. How else do you think I could write so convincingly of our system?
    I don't advocate violence, or tit for tat revenge. I do think that begats an endless cycle, ala the Hatfields and McCoys, Palestinians/Israelis, etc.
    Apart from using the courts and legal system, I actually believe in what I guess you could call divine retribution. I'm not a religious person, and am not saying "God" is going to punish the culprit, but I do take a certain amount of solace in the fact that, if somebody was an ******* to me, chances are, they'll be an ******* to somebody else. And, that somebody else might just put them down.
    Having been shot at on the highway in a roadrage incident years ago, by a maligned, half-crazed Porsche driver (yeah, i know, they aren't all engineers with pocket protectors), you are preaching to the converted.
    In short, I was just ****iing with you, as a brother at the "bar."
    Respectfully submitted, yours, etc.

The Professor.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    No kidding? some really shot at you? What did you do to them that pissed them THAT much off?

3. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sorry about your car rod. It's all to familiar though.

Your best bet is to get those padded tube shaped things that someone else already mentioned and since you park outside, you may consider covering your car too. You may also consider contacting the owner of the bldg, explain to them what happened, and ask if you can pay a little extra rent to have a reserved spot.

If you do anything to her car, your going to have to worry about your car, since your out there too.

Forget about her and move on with a creative solution to the problem.

4. kiwi348

kiwi348 Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    new zealand
    Full Name:
    shakey
    i remember a family story from years ago. my father had a carpark that he paid for, but some other prick kept parking there and despite many notes left under his windscreen that this was a private carpark he continued to park there. so my father and his business collegue bought 4 rolls of wallpaper, the self gluing kind that you just lift up out of the water tray and place where you want them, and they wallpapered the guys car. completely. he never parked there again. the wallpaper baked all day in the hot sun and must have taken forever to get off but without permanent damage. anyway, the point was made. just a thought.

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Prof.,

There are only a few things that get me going like this, and one of them is mindless knee-jerk responses to seemingly minor situations that escallate them into violent confrontations. Or doing damage to someone else's property as a "tit for tat".

Would that the world was perfect, and you and I no longer found work as lawyers because there were no more disputes or disagreements. In the meantime, is it any wonder that we're busier than ever and there are more of us than ever when you read what people are willing to consider as a reasonable response to something as minor as a door ding.

Regards,
    Steve

6. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Well, this isn't revenge but it was a good bit of fun.

When I worked at a race shop we all used to play practical jokes on one another. One of our Formula 2000 drivers (Tommy Uhr) was in need of some retribution for a joke he'd played on us. So, one day when he was chatting with me in the office my buddy Tim grabbed a couple of long zip ties. Crawled under his Ford Bronco and just zipped them around the drive shaft so that the excess was pointing opposite directions from one another.

Tommy finished his business (hanging out) with us and got in his car and drove off down the road. He was back within a minute and a half.

"Something’s wrong with my car!"
    What?
    "Yea, it just started! I was driving off and I'm hearing some kind of noise."
    Noise?
    "Yea."

We all walked out an popped the hood. Started it, revved the engine... didn't hear anything.
    "You, sure you heard something?"
    "Yea, get in."

So, we went for a drive. Tommy's getting more than a bit worried at this point. As speed increases on the car we all hear a "tick-tick-tick-tick" from "somewhere" beneath the car. I'm sure mechanic and parts bills were already adding up in his head.

"YOU HEAR THAT!?"
    "Mmmm.... no... what're you hearing?"
    "THAT TICKING NOISE!"
    "Oh. Yea, that wasn't there before?"
    "No."

At that point he figured something was up. Drove back to the shop with Tim and myself laughing. Tim crawled under and clipped off the zip ties.

Ahhh... the zip tie. A million and one uses.

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    You should have asked the cop to maker her show proof of insurance, taken down all of her imformation and then filed a claim against her insurance company. Her negligent operation of her vehicle damaged your vehicle, your photos will make that obvious and that is not only the legitimate way to handle things is will extractthe revenge of higher insurance rates or a dropped policy for her. Anything else is likely to escalate matters only.

And I hate to say it, but having a high end car and nowhere to keep it is guaranteed to end up badly. I drive my Ferrari everywhere, but it NEVER gets parked outside overnight or where someone can park next to it. Having a Ferrari without some kind of secure, enclosed parking is fine, I guess, but don't expect the car to stay any nicer than any other regular car subjected to the same treatment.

8. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    One more lawyer weighs in:

There is an interesting concept in civil litigation (which includes just about all litigation between private parties) regarding burden of proof, and that is "preponderance of evidence". Most people only come into contact with the burden of proof concept in the criminal context, where the standard is, "beyond a reasonable doubt". But in a civil case, it simply needs to be more likely than not that your claim is valid. In theory, if it is 51% likely you are telling the truth and 49% likely that your opponent is, you should win. It doesn't always play out that way, especially in small claims cases, but the point is, you don't need a no-loopholes, iron-clad case to sue somebody and win.

In this case, as I understand it, the sequence of events went like this: you heard your car alarm, you went to investigate, and you found the offending SUV parked way too close next to your car, and damage to your car. It may be possible that someone else did the damage, but it looks more likely than not that the offending SUV driver was the cuplrit.

[For a prominent illustration of the difference in burdens of proof, consider O. J. Simpson: the was acquitted in his criminal murder trial---the evidence didn't show his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. But, in the subsequent wrongful death civil suit he lost all his stuff to his wife's family because while it may have been possible that he didn't kill his wife, it was more likely than not that he did.]

9. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Good advice.

Suggesting a malicious act on this board is pretty revealing of a person's character. or lack of.

10. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    The only door ding I've gotten on the Ferrari came from another Ferrari. Accidental. You can park wherever you want and you don't have control over external events. Another time I was with a guy who is really careful where he parks his car. He had parked it in a clear space away from any other cars. A tree branch suddenly fell onto his car! (No, he didn't cut down the tree...)

It is aggravating, but not something to obsess over. Life is too darn short to be blowing a fuse over other people's stupidity. Revenge just boils your own blood. As much as the Lexus owner looks like the culprit, there is a chance she didn't do it. Or she wasn't driving the vehicle, she was just the owner and her stupid teenage kid is the culprit, who lied to her about the whole thing. Sometimes the best thing to do is fix the damage and move on.

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    ChasKing: Are you saying OJ did it? I suppose that's plausible. He does drive SUVs, that's been documented. He has not established his whereabouts on the night in question. I guess the only thing missing is motive....%)

12. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I would take those photos along with her to small claims court..

At the very least you'd be dragging her @ss down there and she'll learn to never do that again...

If she doesn't show up two times you win automatically..

If you don't have the time..Pay someone to do it..

JMO...