Peoples perception and Ferraris. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Peoples perception and Ferraris.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Robertb, Aug 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    It all depends on your line of work though doesnt it. I have a customer who provides me with several £million of work, but the point of contact and people who allocate the work are generally Project managers who earn £35/40Kpa and drive Mondeos. If they thought I drove a Ferrari they would be jealous and it may affect my business. I know of a rival who lost business because he turned up in a Porsche - its not the money its the image - they are quite happy for me to turn up in my 60K Audi or 4 x 4, but not a flash sportscar.

It wouldnt and doesnt bother me that some of my suppliers / subcontractors have flash cars and earn far more than I do, but it does bother some people and in order to maintain my business I have to respect that fact

2. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    You could spend more on a 3 series than a 348!

3. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ROTFLMFAO:D

4. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    our vet once turned up in a new skyline as his disco was being servicedhe parked it at the front of the house and walked round to the horses trying to hide the car first thing i said to him is the call out more expensive in that he said i hate using it everybody thinks that i am making a fortune

5. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    That's also a good point. The owner of the printing company my agency uses (on a weekly basis), has a 355 spyder and this has no bearing on whether I give him my business or not. However, the differnce is that we both own our own companies and understand the whole risk and reward thing. There's no doubt in my mind thatsome clients wouldn't be happy about giving me business if they knew. They're the ones who would never have the balls to go out and do it for themselves.

6. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    I didn't have a problem parking a 6 month old Ferrari outside the DSS, got some funny looks from the winos though!

7. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    its tossers like beckham and other socalled celebritys and rich knobheads that buy a ferrari as a status symbol, their not car enthusiasts but every body then perceives us to be like them.(now wheres me bloody sorong)

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    do you mean these nob heads

9. panterasteve

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    thats the fooker,what ****** splash ,i bet hes being cruising on brighton seafront looking for a date (ive gotta ferrari want to come n see some puppies)

10. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Steve
    You know better than to post pictures like that.

Lucky for you I'm in a good mood but I might not be next time :)

11. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    sorry boss

12. panterasteve

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    HA HA YOU GOT DONE YOU GOT DONE

13. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Interesting thread.

I have an Audi A2 TDi and I wondered if clients maybe didn't take me seriously when I turned up in it. So I started selectively using a 355 for meetings with new clients and I would say it raised their opinions of the value of my skills, and raised their opinions of how much I cost - but they figured I must be worth it so I have made more because of it.

I do some work as a motor racing instructor and do briefings etc for "Ferrari Experience" days - most people have no idea whatsoever how much F-cars cost even people who say they really love Ferrari's. They see any Ferrari and think they also see a millionaire. When people see Porsche's they tend to think company car, in my opinion.

When I point out to them that they can buy a Ferrari for the price of a new high spec Vauxhall Vectra they look in disbelief.

Mind you I do string a tail about "increase my mortgage / use the equity to get it on the never never" - when in fact I bought it with a Switch card :D

14. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    That's funny, because I've got an admittedly older F-car, would quite like an A2, but can't afford it!

I think if you find yourself doing things like not taking your Ferrari for 'political reasons' then it's a sign of a failure to communicate.

15. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Mmmm....I get this all the time . People look at the car and think "there goes a millionaire"

Where in actual fact I'm down to £999,127.

so bo**ox to you all!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. Golgo

Golgo Guest

Aug 17, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I had a decent Porsche 944 and people would comment on:

1. It was a poor mans porsche
    2. I had no penis
    3. I wanted to race every kid in a 1985 Chevy Cavalier with a big muffler tip.

Perceptions are just that.

Enjoy your sportscar, make em envyous.

17. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Don't have to use mine often, but if I have to use a car (and there's no way I'm using the public transport system in this country, save maybe the odd tube journey!), I have little choice.

I don't mention the car day to day at work, but if people ask, I don't hide it.

Don't believe it's done me any harm on the work front, and it'd be more a reflection on the client if they decided not to give me work based on what I drive. It's irrelevant to the job I do. They either want someone who can do that job, or they don't and that isn't based on what I drive.

It's a shame some people have to think twice about using their cars simply because of the envy of others. If these others concentrated more on making their businesses work and run properly, they might be better placed to trade in the Mondeo for something with a bit more soul.

18. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    If people see me in the car that kmow me i tell them its not mine but its different up north as they are not as common as down south

19. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I went to a lunch event on sunday in Central London and parked right outside the restaurant. As it was a warmish (but wet) day, the front of the restaurant was open.

A few people gave me funny looks and I'm sure there were probably some snide comments made behind my back. But I did'nt care.

Me, I'm just doing what everyone else does. Park it as close to where i'm going as possible. I would have parked any car in the same place.

If anyone had a problem with it....then it was they who had the problem. If they want to judge me for what i have than what I am, I could'nt care less.

But it's nothing to the crap I used to get when I drove a Rolls Royce.

:D

20. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    I couldn't care less what people think, I've worked damned hard to get to where I am now and have the ability to buy a car I've always wanted. I drive it to meetings, to the shops, to friends.

21. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have worked hard for mine like many many others, why should I hide it. We should be proud of our achievements in life and not be afraid to show it. If people can't handle it, well tough.

I take my to work and used to take it regularly to McLaren when I was there and made a point of parking it right where Mr Dennis could see it! He comment was "You have an unusual taste in cars"-make of that what you will! I got a ribbing the first time I brought it in, but after that it was cool and people liked it.

Once left it outside of reception and a class moment happened when I was working away and then over the tannoy (at the old building) came the announcement "Could the owner of the Yellow Ferrari please contact reception", at the time lots of sponsors were walking about ;)

Peter

22. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    The other week I parked the car in Chelsea, and this guy came up and started asking me about my car and if I used it everyday etc.
    He then said that he preferred his car and would I like to see it, it was only then that I noticed the MC12 parked 4 along from mine.
    But it wasn’t his; he had the Gallardo next to it.

I think when you live in London, everyone just gets used to seeing these cars all the time (although it’s still the only MC12 I’ve ever seen)

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You know i had a comment from a UK f.chat member about two years ago. It was along the lines of, i have friends who are ex forces and they dont drive ferraris, so how come you (me) do?? I went on to explain that its becourse maybe there friends left the service and worked on a building site or roads, i did not, i knew the money was in the protection of wealthy familys. So asumpsions are even on here dudes;)

24. mmm355

mmm355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a good story - you must have been cracking up inside!