Perez to Redbull, Albon becomes reserve driver | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Perez to Redbull, Albon becomes reserve driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nsd991, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    The pace in the RB is simply too low to threaten the Mercedes in either championship. Red Bull's media tactics masterfully puts all eyes on the #2 driver seat, but they have problems which much extend beyond that. Even with a clone of Max Verstappen, they would not beat Mercedes in the WCC, and probably not WDC either. The high-rake aerodynamic design is extended to the limit (still being slower than Mercedes), they have no engine option for the future and have been consistently beat for the past 7 years. Not sure if the fizzy drinks wallet will cover for another couple of years of not having a shot at a title?

But yeah, go Perez! Hope you can survive the snake pit for a year to land a decent contract for 2022!

cairns and william like this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Joe Saward believes he already has a 2022 deal with Williams and Perez himself has alluded to a deal being in place

sammysaber and 375+ like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Agree'd I was being polite about Albon. He was simply not that good or consistent. Lacked confidence overall it appears.

subirg, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Very true. In the case of a one-tear contract, no side has much to lose.

Perez will keep his hands in the game, and RB won't have time to become impatient if it doesn't work out.

But I cannot see Perez staying for the long run. Apart from Max, drivers are disposable at RB.

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria

E60 M5 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    It’s official now!

nsxrebel and tifosi12 like this.
  7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup. Cool. Mexico will be happy, guarantees a sold out stadium next year.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I wonder how attractive Perez would have been in the deal if he was not saddled with those millions of dollars of sponsorship money that comes with the deal?

Where are all of the cries of 'it should be about talent and not money' :D

Of course I say this tongue in cheek as Perez is a good and talented driver but let's not forget that he continues to be a 'pay driver' and there are associations attached to that reality.

lorenzobandini and tifosi12 like this.
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Absolutely true.

To paraphrase you: His telephony $ is one of his talents.

lorenzobandini and Nuvolari like this.
  10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Another irony of sorts is that Perez lost his seat when Stroll Sr. bought both Racing Point and Aston Martin leading to cries of unfair because Stroll's money was bullying him out.

Now Perez is going to Red Bull who welcome HIS money that will do nicely to replace the Aston Martin money they will be loosing. Am I the only one seeing the double standard here :D

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice catch.

Didn't think about it. Then again to me it is utterly irrelevant whether a driver is a pay driver or not. Reality is that basically every driver is a pay driver in the sense that they bring their personal sponsors to the team. The rest is in the details of contracts we don't get to see anyway. On top of that there are other considerations for why one driver is more interesting than another (unrelated to their actual talent), things like marketability and country of origin.

Nuvolari, william and lorenzobandini like this.
  12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There was an article in Motosport, I think, saying that the amount of sponsorship Perez brings with him was grossly exagerated.
    If I remember rightly, it would be about $5m, but Perez salary is taken out of that, and it's already around $2.5m !

Nuvolari and tifosi12 like this.
  13. DF1

Truth. RedBull are not pay driver needing Haas by any implication of this. They do not have a driver they like to set with Max at all. Their system has not produced another Ricci.

14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154291/perez-form-made-him-impossible-for-red-bull-to-ignore

Red Bull says that Sergio Perez's impressive performances in Formula 1 this season made it "impossible" to turn down the chance to sign him.

The Milton Keynes-based team announced on Friday it had signed Perez for 2021 as a replacement for Alex Albon, who is being moved into a development and test role.

While Red Bull team boss Christian Horner admitted that making the choice to not continue with Albon was tough from an emotional perspective, he said that Perez's strong pace simply could not be overlooked.

"The decision has been an incredibly hard one," said Horner, when asked by Autosport about the reasons behind the decision to go for Perez.

"I think all of us wanted to see Alex succeed. What we said was that we would give Alex the season, and not make any decisions before, to have a complete set of data. And that's obviously what we did.

"But when you look at the data, and you look at the ratio between the two drivers, it was a decision that was obviously very much driven by that. It was just impossible to ignore Sergio's performance in the Racing Point over the course of the year, and particularly, in the second half the season.

Horner thinks that Perez will have no problem stepping up to the demands of a big team like Red Bull, and believes he is vastly more experienced than he was when he endured a troubled time at McLaren in 2013.

"He's a very rounded driver now and I think he has an uncanny ability to over deliver in machinery he has had available to him," added Horner.

"If you look at the amount of podiums and success that he's had over the over the years, I think he'll be a good addition to the team. I think it shows again, our determination to field a competitive team against Mercedes next year."

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    About damn time.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    IMHO best possible result for RB next year is to compete for the constructor's title - LH will not be challenged for the driver's title, he's not that bad to let it go while driving the best car. However if Bottas is still hopeless and RB finally has two good drivers, RB may fight for the championship...

stavura, Nembo1777, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004

I definitely see a few wins for the team next year and several double podiums. Bottas, like Vettel, has really dropped the ball as of late, so having two strong drivers to take advantage of that will really help the team in the constructors championship.

DF1 likes this.
  18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Would be nice but I think it'll remain wishful thinking.

subirg and william like this.
  19. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I think he means Constructors Championship which is very reasonable

20. DF1

21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I bet Perez hasn't stop smiling yet, good for him.

nsxrebel, DF1, piolaxo and 1 other person like this.
  22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Happy for Perez...he really earned it this year. He is mature, he is professional, and he might even boost RB beverage sales in Latin America. If Max is smart, he will be happy to have that good a driver as a team mate. Makes me think of the Andretti/Peterson and Hawthorn/Collins teams.

nsxrebel and DF1 like this.
  23. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    And Perez got the extra $10M...;)

nsxrebel likes this.
  24. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Hmmm, I hope Williams takes a jump with the 2022 regulations for the sake of him, otherwise it is going to be a big cliff between RB and Willaims.

Terra likes this.
  25. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It will be interesting if there will be fireworks at RBR with SP and MV? I wonder if a primary reason to keep Albon in reserve is if SP does not perform (unlikely) or if the combo becomes hamiliton/rossberg or hamilton/alonso toxic? I bet the threat of jetisoning SP will keep him in line. MV is the golden boy. Albon would have stayed if he had performances like he did in Abu D. He just needed to spoil Merc's strategy. If SP gets close to taking out MV he will be gone.