performance cam regrinding | Page 3 | FerrariChat

performance cam regrinding

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Dec 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Russ - Just curious if you mind sharing the cost that webcam quoted you for the grind. I am going to give them a call when I get back to minnesota next week to talk about what I want out of my car and see if I can get some specs as well.

Look forward to the desktop dyno numbers as well.

John

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    John
    Have you thought about contacting Michelotto to see if they'll give you specs for the race cams or sell you a pair if they have any lying around?
    I've not dealt with them but am told they've been helpful to others.
    Philip

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Important corrections to my previous data after talking to Laurie at WEBCAM today (terrific customer service) – those stock cam specs previously posted are 3.0 QV numbers only! The 3.2 has similar intake and exhaust durations, but a greater intake lift at .343; the exhaust cams are essentially the same in the qv and 328.

So, that changes a lot with performance cam plans for the 3.2, and suggests that dropping 3.2 intake cams in a qv will buy you some lift ( .306 to .343) giving a broader power band.

Since protecting the low end is a priority with me, we've decided to initially keep the stock exhaust cams. This will help keep the low end, and is consistent with what I have previously heard here on Fchat. We will go for broadening the power band with a more aggressive intake with a .381 lift (up from stock .343) and a duration of 240@ .050 (total 266@ .020) which compares to the stock 328 duration of 224@ .050 (total 244@ .020). These cams will also have the more rounded quick ramp. In an amazingly entertainingly (to me) ironic twist, this performance intake cam uses the same profile for a 1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV.

Price wise, WEBCAM says they will do both intakes for $1100.

Another cam they suggested was a .368 lift with 235@ .050 duration (total 261 @ .020)
    She also stated there was a ‘Speis Racing’ specification cam on file with intakes at .360 lift @ 226@ .050 and exhausts at .322 lift with 220 @ .050.

Will post more later, and will try the desktop dyno on the new numbers soon. This is a very similar experience to learning about Webers – great fun and terrific people.
    Best Russ

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Just ran the new intake cam specs on my el cheapo desktop dyno computer sim against my sim control run I for my stock cams with carburettors which is close to the actual measured Dyno-Jet chassis numbers (+/- 285 hp @ 6700) available in old threads as I tweaked the carbs.

Keeping the stock exhaust cam, and just changing only the intake cam to the before mentioned 381 total lift with 266 duration and 106 degree lobe centers generates interesting predicted results. There is a loss of torque below 3700 or so progressively larger and leveling off paralleling the curve from 3000 to 2000 with about a 20+ ft-lb loss. After 4000 rpm it takes off above the previous carburreted curve:

(computer sim data here)

Ferrari 3.2 qv engine, stock compression, Weber carbs
    intake total lift .381 266 duration @ .020, stock exhaust cam, 106 degree lobe centers
    rpm
    5000 - 267 hp
    5500 - 280
    6000 - 302
    6500 - 308
    7000 - 311
    7500 - 310
    8000 - 300

Even with some loss below 3700 rpm it takes off above that in a broad powerband way surprising for a 3.2 liter engine - that's 97 hp/liter which is what I was hoping for if this works out...
    As I typically cruise around 3500 - 3700 rpm, even dumping the throttle in 5th it would jump as that is where the power band takes off above stock. The stock Kjet FI 3.2 is rated at 260 hp at 7000 or so, and this engine is already just beyond that at 5,000. Pretty cool for $5500 in carbs and cams giving a 50 hp boost and better reliability. While this may bear no resemblence to reality, it is pretty alluring and would be a good match for the current gearing: the low first gear would drive it up into the power range then whoa, Nelly! Since the stock car has achieved redline in every gear, I think the new engine with the 8000 rpm limiter would as well, just much quicker.

And just think of those wailin' Webers and flow through exhaust. It's what I live for.

5. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Russ you are the man! I am going to get in touch with Laurie next Monday to see what they can do for the 348. I have to imagine the cam profile is very similar to your's. Hopefully I can get a nice grind as well and get to my 95-100bhp goal as well. Man you have me so pumped now for next winter to get here so I can tear my engine apart! :)

I want to thank you so much for the time you put in and the information sharing. You have been great! :) I will post what I find from them on Monday as well and throughout the process. Hopefully the cams, along with the rest of the car and me getting to a lot more track days this summer with all combine for a ton of fun!

As far as Michelotto I have contacted them and their cam grind they said i would not be happy with at all on the road. Basically they assured me it was a track special not making any power till 5500-8500.

6. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Be advised that 308 qv cam pulleys will not fit 328 cams so figure in a set of new (or used) cam pulleys if you change. Hub has a different diameter.

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Paul - many thanks - very important info I was unaware of!

It seems I now have a set of good used stock 308 qv intake and exhaust cams for sale if anyone needs a set... :) Will now just plan on using what is in the car.

jj - many thanks. So you really had a 914 v-8? Wow.

One further caveat on the sim data below. I went through last pm point-by-point matching to real dyno data. The curve in actuality will probably not be as flat, i.e, while the high end numbers seem to correlate pretty well, hp numbers below 5500 drop off a little more sharply much like the stock curve.

best to all
    rt

8. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Russ - Yep I have a 914 v-8 but currently am still assembling her. It was a little project that I wanted to see if I could pull off with all the fabricating and floor up restore before tackling something bigger like an older Fcar, etc. Lets just say I got more than I bargained for out of that 71 chassis and learned how to do more metal working and welding than I expected. I replaced more body parts, and frame areas than I ever expected. However I cant wait to have it done and on the track....put a 289 in her so I didnt kill myself but it still makes 340hp in a car that weighs just over 2000 lbs with me in it. :) I am just hoping a slightly warmed over 901 tranny will hold up for a few years, but it should as I am not making ungodly torque out of the 289. Driven a couple with 350's running the 911 tranny that were just rockets...you think the Viper is a fast car these redefine the meaning.

Anyway now back to regularly scheduled Ferrari programming. Where did you get your camshaft blanks from. I am trying to find a set of 348's but have had a little bit of a struggle so far with some sponsors on the board being able to find them. I probably will call trutlands and gtcar parts here Monday but just wanted to hear from you where yours came from.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The best bet for 348 cams will be Bill at GT or anyone but Ted at trutlands.

Just to recap the retrofitted Mondial 3,2 so far before we do the cams:
    Weber 40DCNFs 36mm venturis, stock 308 airbox - $3500
    Single distributor conversion with MSD - $800
    Dyno-jet measured rear wheel hp @ 238 - 241 (285 - 290 crank).
    Next Webcam intake cams - $1100, projected 310 crank hp
    All pretty much bolt on so far...

10. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    I will get in touch with Bill. Do you mind if I ask what you paid for your cam blanks?

Your car is amazing man...has to be something else to drive!

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The blanks were part of a trade with trutlands for some of the MFI components- I may be wrong, but 348 cams are a different kettle of fish altogether and not price comparable.

Also check with Norwood's, Nick's (sponsors), durable1.com, carobu.com, Webcamshafts.com and Frank Capo at Modena Engineering in Oz

good luck and have fun!

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #62 snj5, Feb 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found another cam profile listing for those of you cataloging these.
    Pretty aggressive. In fact, so aggressive that I would say this is really a 2v profile or the .050 durations should be @ .020 for a QV.

Also heard Kermit is running a performance cam set in a Kjet motor without problem except for having it need to idle above 1000 rpm. HMMM.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    That grind is insanely agressive...I have to imagine thats for a 2V as the power band would be ungodly high in the RPM range and I would probably stall the damn bastard on the street non-stop! :) Anyway calling WebCam tomorrow and will post my grinds as soon as possible.

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I find a good place to get ideas for where to go with the cam is the crane cams web sight and find a honda or toyota 4 cylinder 1.5-2.0 liter. They list the specs for the different grinds, what rpm it works in and what other stuff you need, like what compression, porting, open exhaust. It might help.

15. MTLewis

MTLewis Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    There have been some that have implied that using a hotter cam is way to approach the horsepower numbers of a 4-liter engine. Regrettable the camshaft is only one part of this equation. I would suggest that you consider the following:

1. The amount of duration is contingent upon the amount of displacement. The more displacement that an engine has the more duration it can tolerate. This means that the 4-liter engine have more duration than a 308 and still maintain idle quality.

2. The 4-liter engine isn’t a compromise between low-end torque and high rpm horsepower. Camming a 308 means that something is sacrificed…generally throttle response and low-end torque.

3. The lift figures that have been quoted in this thread are artificially low. There have been some that have contended that max lift for a 2-valve engine is about .400 lift. This is wrong. Max lift is in the neighborhood of .500 lift. The 4-liter engine has intake lift of .485. It is my opinion that some of you are leaving about .100 of lift or more on the workbench. Yes, it does require modification to the heads and new springs. I would strongly suggest that you contact Steve Demirjian to determine how your heads can be modified to obtain more lift.

4. If you want more flow, then change the valve size. Intake should be larger and exhaust should be smaller.

5. Heads should be ported. Stock 2-valve head flow is only 150 cfm at 28 inches of water. 200 cfm is possible, with better low lift flow and continuous flow all the way to max lift. Adding more lift to a stock port is a waste of time because flow max's out at .300 lift with stock ports.

6. Optimize cam timing requires more compression. The stock 308 compression is very low…8.5 to 1.

7. While you are messing with the heads do a high performance valve job. Replace the seals and guided. You won’t burn oil any more and most of the flow gains are within one inch the valve seat.

8. Please quote cam timing at .050 inches of lift. .020 is an advertising number an as such is not terribly valuable for the purposes of this thread. I noticed that Russ quoted Cam figures at .050 lift…thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark Lewis

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm going to add some to Mark's reply

The torque you can make is mostly a function of displacemnt, assuming the basics are right to begin with. So changing the cam GENERALLY does not increase torque.

HP is really only limited by 2 things, head flow and red line assuming the other components match. A 2 liter engine at 16000 rpm will make as much hp as a 4 liter at 8000. but the 4 liter will have twice the torque.

The duration sets the rpm band the engine will operate at and when the head flow and compression all match, the widest torque curve in obtained. If the compression is low or the flow too high, torque will be lost in the bottom of the curve. If the head flow is too low, the top of the curve will be lost.

So if you have a set of heads ported to flow say 200 @ 28" H2O, you can make about 400 hp from the engine. A 4 liter 2v will do it at 7000 and need about 260 degrees of duration, it will be very streetable. A 3 liter will do it at about 9500 and need about 280 degrees of duration, that is a race only engine IMO. But it will work and if fitted with EFI could be street driven without a lot problem, but will beat up the valve train, figure no more the 30k-50k miles before the heads need to be freshened.

A good street engine is usually about moderation and wide torque curves, but there are those that actually like high rpm monsters. Personaly I've realy come to like wide torque curves that come in early, it's just so much less bother to drive.

17. MTLewis

MTLewis Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    There is an automotive axiom that states valve lift equal torque. Torque is a function of displacement and volumetric efficiency. Lift affects the ability to completely fill each cylinder with ambience air pressure.

The challenge that the 308-engine builder faces is that stock configuration does not provide much in the way of either lift or flow. What I have indirectly proposed is a solution for both of these limitations. Regrettably, this requires modifications to the head and not a simple replacement of the camshafts. Yes, it will be more work and more money.

This would not result in a 4-liter motor, but rather a better 308. You would end up with a wider and flatter torque curve and around 300 usable hp. Electronic fuel injection, a more aggressive ignition curve and more compression would also help. That which has been learned from the 4-liter would be directly applicable to making a better running 308.

Sincerely,

Mark Lewis

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, anybody who wants power from a 2v should get the heads to flow first if your numbers are right.

I have a modified harley xr750 race engine, it's a 2 cylinder with 375cc per cylinder, 2 valve, basically the same bore and stroke as a 308. It makes about 35 ft-lb@6500 torque and 55 hp@8400 per cylinder. That would make a 308 with 420 hp and it is definately possible to build. The 2 holdups are flow and valve lift. The cam in my engine in .570 lift and 270 duration @.050" lift. The intakes flow 148cfm@12" water, thats about 230@28" I think, and that is with the carbs in place. It idles well at 1000 rpm and pulls smoothly through the power band, if fact I ran this engine on the street for a few years.

Heads that flow 200, should be good for about 350hp on a 3 liter....maybe a bit less because the cam doesn't have quite the lift, but adding another 5-10 degrees duration might help make up for that.

Cams alone will only get you to about 260 or so, big difference.

....or put on a blower, that will make the heads flow like there's no tomorrow :)

19. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    A question:

Is maxium lift on a stock 308 limited by the stock valve springs? It is my understanding that the stock springs will bind at a cetain lift (well below 400). My lift will be in excess of 400 but the valve train was completely redesigned by Ferrea racing components and exotic cylinder heads inc. (machine shop) using I belive their modified "Honda" springs among many other items.

I am no expert in this matter so I am not looking to argue just hear others points of view on this issue.

Paul

20. MTLewis

MTLewis Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Without going into a great deal of detail, the 4-liter heads are using special springs which will not bind at high lifts and other modification to the heads are employed to obtain .485 lift on the intake side.

Paul it sounds like you are on a similar path as the 4-liter project as far as achieving more cam lift. The heads do need to be ported. The size of the intake valve should be increase while the exhaust valve is decreased. More low lift flow is available. The ports can be improved to flow all the way to max lift without major changes to port volume. The shape of the intake valve has also been optimized, as well as multiple valve and valve seat angles have been experimented with to maximize flow.

Good luck with your project,

Mark Lewis

21. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    The 1st guy (hack) who attempted to port my heads ported right into the water jackets so with new heads in hand I took them to a real machinst who ported them and built them to Ferrea racing components specs with all new Ferrea valves, guides, seals, springs and retainers none of which have anything to do with Ferrari, the cams were built my web cams. This is a 4 valve 308 so valve size is not the same issue as with the 2 valve head.

What I still would like to know is at what point to stock springs start to bind?

Paul

22. MTLewis

MTLewis Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Paul

I talked to Steve today and he noticed your question about how much lift before coil bind occurs. He will mock up a stock spring and get you an accurate figure. The stock flow numbers that he has quoted for a 308 are the real deal.

As for your heads, that is really sad…not to mention expensive! We do all our R&D on a junk head to avoid the very problem that you experienced. Finished port designs are then digitized so that they can economically be reproduced.

Our 4-liter port profile is done in conjunction with larger intake valves and smaller exhaust valves. The porting, valves, seats and guides could easily be used on a stock 308. Our cam spec would have to be checked for piston to valve clearance. We are running custom pistons with the appropriate size valve relief cut in the tops of the pistons.

The 4 valve head will be next up. I’m sorry that doesn’t help you now with your project.

Sincerely,

Mark Lewis

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Sorry for the absence - just got back from a 'practice' deployment getting ready to go to Iraq this summer. And yes, even Ferrari owners get to pull latrine cleaning duty - yukie poo.

For those interested in researching different performance cam options, here's the summary of my personal data experience so far:

The Elgin and Webcam measured specs on the stock 3.2 cams match almost exactly (intake: .344 lift with 222@ .050. 244@ .020). Interestingly, in 3.0 qv cars, the intake and exhaust cams are almost exactly the same as the 3,2 intake durations, but with much reduced lift at .306. Also, the stock 3.2 cams match the stock Testarossa cam profiles almost exactly. I have the stock profiles with lift/duration numbers if anyone is interested.

For my specific application, have chosen to just swap the intake cams and not sacrifice as much low end shooting for 97hp+/liter from a Weber 40DCNF retrofitted 3.2 QV with maximum reliability on street gas and DIY enjoyment.

Dema Elgin had initially recommended going to his intake grind of (.364 total lift with 238@ 050 and 257@ 020).

Laurie at Web has 2 recommendations: a Lamborghini Diablo profile of (.381 total lift with 240@ 050 and 266@ 020) or another of (.368 total lift at 235 @ 050 and 261 @ 020). She also stated there was a ‘Speis Racing’ specification cam on file with intakes at .360 lift @ 226@ .050 and exhausts at .322 lift with 220 @ .050. Again, I have the whole profiles if anyone is interested.

I know that Paul Sloan's wild Weber 48 IDA 3.0 QV project has more aggressive cams still, and projects to 350 hp+; and absolutely ranks as one of if not the most spectacular looking 3 liter engines ever seen for sure.

Would like to compare to the fabled Capo cams, but will have to go look as I've misplaced them. I do remember them as being indeed quite aggressive.

Stock QV head flow measured:
    Lift -- corrected cfm flow
    0.10 -- 31.6
    0.15 -- 51.5
    0.20 -- 64.7
    0.25 -- 80
    0.30 -- 86
    0.35 -- 89.2
    0.40 -- 92.2
    0.45 -- 94.2

If what the posted Durable1 flow bench says is true, and it is somewhat corraborated by others, I would not gain much max flow from going to the .381 lift over the .360's lift as the qv heads become the limiting restriction, except picking up a much broader hp curve by bringing in more lift much earlier (a more aggressive ramp). That increased area 'under the curve' theoretically would be mostly felt in the mid range, I believe. Could look at keeping the stock valve springs at this lift level. The increased duration will move the power band a bit higher with a higher max hp output.

So, in summary, I'm hoping to get about 97hp/liter+ max hp ( 310 - 315 crank hp) with a bit broader power curve bringing in the power earlier and holding it. That will be a 40 - 50 hp increase over stock with more power earlier with a simpler improved DIY reliability and parts sourcing. Not that it's important, but that would probably put me in the 5.6 - 6.0 second 0 - 60 range, which is good for me. And the personality and sound will be terrific, and all on a wide safety margin for street gas.

Anyway - this all represents a lot of research that I'd thought I would put here in case anyone is interested.
    best
    rt

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Russ,
    Do you know what presssure those flow numbers were taken at?...they are pretty low number, so I'm guessing not much vacuum. Also do you know if that is with an intake manifold, velocity stack or bare head fitted?

It sure looks like what I need to do is just track down a set of stock 3.2 cams for my QV. I'm pretty happy with my power curve the way it is, but 12% more lift (and area under the flow curve) plus 4% more flow might be just what I need to get to the 200hp/liter I was hoping for :)

Also, if you are thinking valve springs, have a look at Crame Cams MG midget race springs. They pretty much dropped right in to my QV heads, added something like 50lb seat pressure (I need that for the high boost), a little higher spring rate and more lift before coil bind...but I'm not sure where I put my notes with the number on them.

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #75 snj5, Feb 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark
    I'll attach the actual worksheet that was forwarded to me below. I am mainly using it to look at at the curve, as the hard numbers do not mean much to me at my experience level yet. Also if it helps, or you want to plot the curve, here is the side-by-side of what I have:

Stock 3.0 QV vs stock 3.2 intake cam

Max lift 3.0 QV: .305 ; 3.2 QV: .348

Lift.......3.0QV........3.2

Laurie emphasized that with a 4v engine, even a few degrees made a large difference - much larger than it would with a 2v. You can see with the increased lift, the valve opens into the effective range sooner and stays there longer. This is what I would like to try to achieve in my car as well getting a fast ramp to allow a larger area under the curve. I'm deducing that with the stock head, I should keep the stock springs as monster lift cams are not as effective without porting.

And now, for a more spectacular comparison! For those of you who always knew the 2v cams got tamer with FI, but not just how much, here is a side-by-side of a set of Euro carb intakes with a set of later Kjet cams:

308 carb total lift: .349 '82 Bosch FI total lift: .305

Lift.......2v FI........2v carb

Wow, huh?
    So, if nothing else, we've quantified what we've always heard and boy, is it true!

An interesting twist: The 3.2 FI and euro carb exhaust cams have the same profiles and lift, except of course that the 3.2 is a 4v. To keep things 'Ferrari spec' as it were, wonder if one could fit the euro carb 2v profile on a 4v cam - it actually matches up closely with some of the other performance cam numbers.

Mark - you're welcome to what is left of my 3.2 intakes at Dema's if you can get him to respond. :) Attached below is the original flow sheet for just a qv bare head I'm told without runners that I took my previous data from. Looks like they were done at 10", but not sure.

I also got the Capo QV performance cam with timing and will enclose the photo below as well. While I do not have the full profile, it has 254 duration or so. What is important in this picture is the EVENT TIMING. Again, small degree changes seem to make a huge difference.

So, as a summary chart, here are the stock vs. performance choices so far:

Lift......QV(.305)..3.2(.348)..Carb(.349)...Elgin(.364)…Web(.368)…Diab(.381)
    .010......296..........284……...310
    .020......247..........245……...260……...……257………….....261……..…..266
    .050......220..........222……...240………...... 238……..……..235…….…...240
    .080......203..........208….…..218
    .100......194..........200….…..208
    .150......168..........178……...184
    .200......138..........152….…..160
    .250......100..........124……...130
    .300.......36............84…….…92

Hope this is interesting for some.
    best
    rt