Performance difference in a 308/328 and a 350Z... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Performance difference in a 308/328 and a 350Z...

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    That's exactly my point guys. Ya love the 308 for what it is. A Z-car 15-20 years newer SHOULD perform better....but it ain't a Ferrari!

2. skyhigh

skyhigh Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    SoCal
    greg328,
    Now that you have had your 308 for a little while, how does it compair overall to the Z? I too have a 350Z and am thinking of the 308/328.

3. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I think the Nissan 350Z will out perform the $10 million Ferrari 250GTO, the $5 million Ferrari 250 LM or a priceless Bugatti Type 41 Royale even. You are comparing cheap technology with a classic piece of auto art... I bet my friend's Honda Civic three doors with fully modified engine, Motec.. whatever can beat the 350Z.. and so on.

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I can tell you one thing, ANY Ferrari is "money pit" defined. Some more than others. And they are tempermental creatures, too. Every model has its bugs. From the oldest to the latest. If you take care of your Ferrari, plan on a bare minimum of a thousand or two ANNUALLY just for proper service and upkeep. Some years will run you much more than that.

BUT...the Ferrari may still be way cheaper to own than your 350Z. These mass-produced cars fall in value like a stone. In 10 years, your 350Z will be worth $ 5 grand if you're lucky. That 328 you buy will likely be worth more in 10 years than it is right now. Likely a lot more.

5. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane

You are absolutly spot-on.

Greg, how's your 308 and what do you think of it?

6. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Agreed...but, you can work on your own car - especially the 308 series, they are pretty basic machines and the word "Ferrari" doesn't mean that it takes a high priced mechanic to do service work. Spending 2 grand a year for basic upkeep is fine if you can afford it and don't mind the local Ferrari shop sucking you in. Do it yourself, learn about your car, save major bucks, and find out that the working guts of the mystical Ferrari abides by the same reality of mechanical physics as a Ford Pinto.

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    100% on the mark.

8. ferraristyle

ferraristyle Karting

Jan 7, 2005
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I also own a 350Z track model, but it's the wife's car. Currently I'm in the market for a 308, but owning many Porsche's I can tell you my .02.

I can tell you hand's down that the 350 will eat the 308 in almost every aspect imaginable....and well it should, it's 20 years of technology separating the two.

Now look at what your going to spend 35-40K on either a new 350Z or a used 308 with about 30,000 on it. Ok, next look at your resale...on the Z your done, I just asked what price I would get on a trade from a couple of dealers and they told me I'm in the 25-28 range.....with only 5,000 on the car. And there are way too many of these cars to be able to sell very competitively on the open market. Finally, once the 2007 Skyline comes available, I suspect the value of the Z will drop even more.

Here's another way to look at it. Look at how many millionaires buy art. In a lot of instances they pay a premiem for what they get. They then keep the piece of art on display for 10 years or so and then go and sell it, often getting close to what they paided for it or even more. Therefore, they just got to enjoy that piece of artwork for 10 years for basically free.

Same way with these cars, buying a classic Ferrari will always lend the resale better then a mass produced, jap, car. "Don't spend your good money badly."

The bottom line is what you want the car for. If you're just a perfomance guy then the 350Z may be a better choice for you. If your into looks, then it's a little bit of a toss up but I think the nod goes to the Ferrari. Even after 20 years the car still turns heads.

Finally, and I'll never forget this, when I went out to a restraunt this summer I took my Porsche Boxster. I asked the valet to give me a nice front spot, so he parked it beside a 328. The cars in the front row were my Boxster, a red Ferrari 328, a yellow C-5 Vette, a silver 350Z and a black Porsche 996. There was also a couple of silver and black Benzs. Just looking at people that were walking into and out of the restraunt it was obvious that everyone was checking out the 328. You even heard the comments....look at that Ferrari. For me, I was like, "what about my Porsche? For me, that's the reason I'm getting the Ferrari......

9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Ha! How ironic. Your reason for GETTING a Ferrari is the only reason I don't really like having one at times. I'm not a big show boat kind of guy, and I'm afraid people that see me running around in a Ferrari will think I'm an arrogant SOB, make too much money, etc.

We all have our motives I guess...

10. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

I heard from people somewhere saying that everytime a Ferrari owner park his Ferrari, when walking away from his car, he will always turn back and look and admire his car before turning away, everytime. Other sport car owners don't necessary do that. If you have a Ferrari, try it, walk away and never look back, I bet you cann't...
    I once yelled a mechanic that he had my Ferrari fixing too long. It was suppost to be a one day joy. He took it two days. Then, I realized that I just missed my car...
    It's been three weeks now that my car is in the shop for valve adjustment, waiting for parts. During these three weeks, I have bought two big screen TV's, upgrade my stereo system, buying a showcase cabinet ... all that just to kill time waiting for my Ferrari....

That's what a system 308 Ferrari will do to you...

11. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I'll chime in because I've had the 308, 348 and am looking for another. I also have a 350Z Roadster. Love them all, the Z isn't quite the "experience" as the others, but the performance is great and the maintenance is ZERO!!! that's worth a lot in my book. Not worth everything, but when I have to drive a fun car from Columbus Oh to Wash DC...it's the Z everytime, not for mileage restrictions, but because I know I'm gonna make it there.

12. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    It is mixed actually for me some days I feel like parking right up front where every one can see my f car and complementing on it but on others I sometimes have this embarassing feeling so I have to sneak in at the back way without wanting anyone to see me leaving my Ferrari.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'd say classic 911 owners can't walk away either. especially from the side or rear quarter....

That's why it's a classic.

Robb

14. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I test drove a red/tan 328 gtb and being a big fellow I found it somewhat uncomfortable. Getting in and out, the pedal offset, low roof line and the crappy AC made the car a disappointment. All that said, it is still one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. I know it makes little sense in my case considering its limited comfort but I still love the car. It would be easy to get a 350Z but I just dont love it.

15. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #40 greg328, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I started this thread a while back, and haven't been back in a while, so let me respond to all of you.

I bought the 77 308 in question. Absolutely love it! This car has got to be one of the cleanest 308's I've ever come across. New red paint--high quality, interior looks fantastic-almost new, engine bay is spotless, simply a time-capule car, but it's been driven properly, 26,300 miles. Also, it has 17" F-40 style Speedlines and Dunlops. I added a Momo leather/suede steering wheel, Varishocks/QA-1 springs, ES a-arm bushings, new side mirrors, and a killer Alpine radio. This car looks and drives brand new!

I also kept my 2003 350Z track. I LOVE this car also, and figure I'll keep it too, even though logic would dictate to dump it for something more sensible. The Z is FAST, and corners like a slot car. My carb 308 is --not that far behind-- in go-go power. 240 versus 290, 50 horses do make a difference, and it's noticeable, but really, the 308 is plenty quick to get in all kinds of trouble if I wanted to.

The 308 handling took some getting used to. The steering is manual, so it's not as *smooth* as the 350Z. It feels like a race car steering rack. It seems to need more attention through a corner, as opposed to the Z, where I can just carve a fast corner without really thinking about it.

That's really the difference between these 2 cars--one really rewards you for your effort, but it does require effort and concentration. The other is just so modern and capable, it almost does all the work for you! Still a pleasure, though...

I'm really not a horsepower freak. I figure when you have enough to feel like your car is rapid/quick, then that's satisfying! The 350Z and 308 both meet that requirement for me.

It's been a life-long dream of mine to own a Ferrari. Well, I finally made it happen at age 40. I'm not a rich guy, so I guess it's fortunate that the only Ferrari I really lust after is these old 308/328 models. Somewhat affordable.......

Yes, I peek in the garage, and smile at her!! Once, I even patted the fender and said, "That's my baby"! It sits right next to the 350Z. I hope it doesn't get jealous!!!!

Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. fl81turbozx

fl81turbozx Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    The old z's can smoke a Ferrari too....

My 1981 280zx Turbo will smoke a 1981 308 all day long and is as reliable as they come.

But, with Ferrari you get that wow factor and oh that sound. There is nothing logical about buying a Ferrari, perhaps that's part of the beauty of it.

17. projectr13b

projectr13b Rookie

Jan 25, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Ian Hutchcraft
    haha i have plans to buy a 308 after college and its probably the most illogical thing i could ever do in choosing a car, but i have a thing for classics.

as for handling (granted ive never driven a 308 or a 350Z) I think its all about the drive. i can corner almost as fast in my honda accord as i can in my 79 rx-7, but the RX-7 is a lot more fun to drive even though it takes forever to get warmed up and such. classics are always more fun because its more about learning to drive the car, than getting in an knowing you can drive the car like today with all the traction control and ABS and stability management. I'll take a manual rack, carbed sports car anyday. but then again, new cars are much more comfortable and reliable =/

18. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    The Ferrari Does it for me. People will look at other cars but when they see the Ferrari, WOW

Jeff

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've got a 300zx turbo that is in near perfect shape.

Threw a manual turbo booster on it and it flys through the revs.

Drove a 308 the other day and it seemed like the tach was going in slow motion.

Hard to beat the jap cars but why do i still want a 308?

I dunno..just do.

20. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was doing a parade lap last summer in my 328 GTS at the SOVREN Pacific Northwest historics. The Z club was in front of me. (It was Sunday, so the only other F-club member was in his Citroen SM.)

Since there weren't as many cars total in the parade laps on Sunday, the pace car gave us huge room to run very hot. There was a 350Z right in front of me. That car was quite fast.

As we came around turn 8 (the big sweeper leading towards the front straight,) the 350Z took off like it was shot from a cannon. I got on the throttle, but found I didn't have enough traction to keep up (I actually got a little sideways as my tires bit for traction mid corner -- a common problem on this extremely difficult off-camber decreasing radius corner.)

The 350Z got pretty far down the track --- I was just happy I didn't spin on a frigging parade lap. (It was just a few weeks after I got the car, and the first time I had driven it hard.) Luckily I'm used to being tail-out in cars.

But, it's pretty easy to spot that the 350Z stock is much faster than a stock 328. Horsepower and much wider rubber make quite a bit of difference!

21. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    +1 for everything Philip said.

But for the cost to bring a 308 to Nissan 350 standards you could have easily bought a used Corvette Z06 that would EASILY smoke a 3x8 or 350... but then there is the visual love of the 3x8 and the way it feels when driving... so yes, +1 what Philip said.

22. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    It is, VERY slow motion compared to even my old Honda Del Sol. Dump the stock flywheel for something much ligher. See fchat sponsor Nick Forza, he has them.

23. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    A friend of mine has a 350Z, automatic. Off the line, she could not keep up with me in my euro 308 carby monster. and she said she gave it all she got. maybe it is because she has a automatic, although my 308 runs pretty strong with hi comp pistons, electromotive, headers, dual exhaust and no emissions. those cars are much heavier than my 308 also. believe me, i was surprised, then i drove her car, and i was assured that my 308 WAS running much stronger than the 350. another friend was shocked when he could not out accelerate me in his twin turbo mitsu 3000 with the retractable hardtop. then we looked at his manual, and the damn thing weighs 4280 pounds, compared to my 2800 pound 308. i have duelled with several 328s, and none of them could out accelerate me either - yeehaw!!!!

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    <rant>
    This is a stupid ancient thread that needed to stay buried. Let's make a list of all the cars that can "smoke" a 308. OK, it would be as long as a Tolstoy novel. BFD. What does that prove? I can hop up a Civic to beat a 308. So what. I will look forward to the day when the 308 and its timeless good looks are thought of the way the Dino 246 is thought of. (i.e. pretty, and who gives a crap how fast it can go 0-60.)

The problem with the 308 is that the design is aggressive enough that everyone assumes it must be a rocket, even 30 years later. It's an INCREDIBLE testament to the design that 30 years later people assume it's fast, but it's annoying. Not many 30 year old cars still have to "hold their own" against modern competition. It's a classic car for Christs sake, get over it!

Lots of people find the "Magnum" comments about the 308 annoying. They don't bother me at all, I like Magnum. But I am *so* sick of hearing about how slow the 308 is. Honestly, who the **** cares? If you want a cheap fast car, you can spend your money on a new Mustang. But I'm still driving a classic Ferrari and you are driving a Ford.

Want a fast 308? Buy a supercharger.

My 308 is plenty fast enough for me to get a speeding ticket.

</rant>

Birdman

25. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    I totaled my 350Z last September. The thing is, once it was gone I really didn't care. On the other hand if I totaled my 308, I'd be out tomorrow looking for another 308.