Performance difference in a 308/328 and a 350Z... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Performance difference in a 308/328 and a 350Z...

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ANYBODY CAN GO FROM POINT A TO POINT B WITH JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THAT HAS WHEELS ON IT AND WITH OUT THE FEELINGS OF PROUD AND JOY AND THRILS. BUT NOT EVERYONE CAN DO IT ON A CLASSIC FERRARI 308/328

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ok :)

3. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    I approach this from this viewpoint.

350 z = Trophy wife. she is pretty and performs well doesnt cost a whole lot although still expensive and quickly depreciating.

328= Mystress/hooker Looks tasty all the time and always performs weather she wants to or not.. Oh and you can guarantee it will cost you something every time you take her out and even when your with your trophy wife your always thinking of the Mystress and those lovely sounds she makes when your driving her hard..

JJ

4. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I agree, the Ferrari always gets more attention.

5. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    This is the truth. I say the same thing all the time.
    My friends still drive Fords.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Am hooked on my 308, but tired of being left behind at red lights, so am doing somethingn about it...
    ;^)

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Amazing, isn't it - - the place from which people come. Right or wrong, I happen to agree with you.

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When the 308 first came out, every magazine that could get thier hands on one was testing it. They tested it against Corvettes, Porsche 944 turbos, you name it. If was in that "price" range, or was just considered fast, they stacked the 308 against it. These poor cars were always just expected to beat everything, and the truth was that it was never designed to. It was only built to put a smile on a guys face on a winding country road, not beat everything on a track.

But while the cars performance numbers were a bit low, overall, it was on the high side of low in EVERY category, so in the end it was stll always a winner. And if its numbers couldnt help it score, its looks were so killer it didnt matter. But if it wasnt real fast when they made it, US emissions and safety laws turned it to a slug. If it really ever had 255 HP, no one really knows, but with a lil tweaking on the early cars you can find all that and spades. But the later cars, down to 205 HP, then straddled with more wieght. By the time the QV came along, it was much heavier and any HP gain was sharply offset. So the question becomes, which "Ferrari" are you comparing your performance against?

The funny thing is, I always compared cars by engine size. If you compared the 308 to all other 3 liter cars, especially the early 308, it can handle itself quite well even by todays standards. Yet so many want to put it up against a Vette, or a 3.5 liter Z, or worse yet, something turbo'd. I wonder how a plain wrapper mid 70's NA 3.0 911 with no mods would hold up against a early carbed 308. My guess is they would be pretty even. But comparing it to a modern 3.5 liter 4 valve motor designed with computers?

As time marches on we all age. The cars do too, but sometimes no one notices. It truly is remarkable that the 308 still hold the cards in beauty after more than 30 years. I cannot walk into the garage, even to simply throw something in the garbage, and not almost stop and stare at the car. Of all the cars ive owned or seen, I cant recall anything with so many compound curves, or anything that pretty from so many angles. I can stare at it almost for hours, and even after all these years, I still find another curve or line I never noticed. While Ferrari may have compromised on the engine performance, or some odd thing, nothing was compromised from the orignal drawings. They simply forced function to follow the design. Probably that was one of the few times in auto history we may ever witness that.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    ^^^^ What he said!! ^^^^

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Verell, I understand your need for speed, but dude, who has left you behind at stop lights? I don't see you as a street racer. In 4 years of ownership, nobody has EVER tried to drag race me at a stoplight. Ever.

Birdman

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    <Innocent Look, said as a good friend> And who was it, Mr B, that was taking a turn and due to heavy use of throttle did a spin in the middle of the roadway? Who might that have been. C'mon, fess up :)

Yes, the stock has fun power, though agree it is time we NE guys do a Supercharger day/weekend. Then perhaps we will rent KTR's dyno for some tuning of A/F and whatnot.