performance exhaust and race cats help ??????? | FerrariChat

performance exhaust and race cats help ???????

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ozan458, Sep 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz
    hi everyone

Im new to the Ferrari world I have a 458 Italia 64 plate its time for me to get a performance exhaust i just love that old skool F1 v8 engine sound that comes from the novitec system. iv been doing research on performance exhausts and race cats. im getting my forza controller fitted nextweek so it can work together with my novitec system. i will be buying the novitec rear box and the 100cell race cats next year January. but my main reason for this post is im trying to find out peoples views and experience with the mini cats and the odb cat delete simulator to stop the evil engine light from coming on. do they really work.

I know that novitec capristo and akrapovic all do the odb cat delete simulator I would love to hear peoples views on these products. aswell as the mini cats do they work and which ones to buy.

I dont want to tune my car because it still under warranty i have spoken to my local Ferrari HR owen garage they dont have a problem with me fitting the novitec system they said as long as the engine light dont come on they will turn a blind eye to your exhaust system.

I would love to hear peoples views thank you very much oz.

2. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    #2 Carlos@TAG, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    We're huge fans of Novitec here at TAG and if you're looking for an F1 type sound this is the way to go. Most OBD cat simulators work just fine. Capristo is another solid choice and they both sound great!

Here is a video of a 458 with cat delete pipes and the rear box.
    Let us know if you have any other questions!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz
    hi thank you for your reply is there any reason why you would choice capristo over the rest and what do you think of the mini cats

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The CEL light can be cleared but it comes back on. I de-catted my 991tts and the CEL light would clear itself but the O2 sensors would still read not-ready irrespective of the light being on. That is what matters here in Texas for the emissions tests. I think for inspection you just have to put the regular cats back on. I never saw anyone with the 100 cell cats not have problems with CEL. The 200 cell cats for the most part don't have any issues. I had them for two and a half years before I de-catted.

5. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz
    hi thanks for your reply what was you using to stop the cel light from coming kn your 458

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #6 wrs, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    This was on my 991tts, not 458 but I believe the behavior will be similar as other people experienced the same thing on other cars, specifically BMW M series. The obd tools only clear the code but the O2 sensors will still read not ready when the inspector tests the car. As far as I know, the tools that clear the codes are not legal to sell either but garages have them so I am not sure about the exact legalities.

I had 200 cell cats on my BMW M5 and the 991tts, neither car ever failed inspection or posted a CEL based on the cats or exhaust. It wasn't until I de-catted the Porsche that I started getting CELs. They would clear after a while but I had an OBD reader and I could see that even though the car didn't show CEL, the O2 sensors showed not ready. That is what the emission inspection tools look for.

I should also add that stock cats are 600 cell and so going to 200 increases flow almost as much as 100 cell does but without any risk of CEL.

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have a similar setup on my 458 and I love the sound. I have headers, the 100 cell cats and the software. I have been running this setup for over 2 years. I am using the factory muffler and it sounds and performs fantastic. The car is making a good 50hp over stock. In this setup the NR software controls when the flaps open in the muffler so in sport mode the flaps stay closed when I'm not really pressing on- which is nice for driving through neighborhoods. Its a little louder than stock but not super loud. However, Race mode means the exhaust flaps are open all the time and the sound is very loud and as I noted it is fantastic. I like this setup as it was suggested to me to give it a try before their muffler. I think the sound is an octave lower than what you would have with the muffler. I also think their muffler still has flaps so I'm not sure you would need the Forza controller. By the way, I have never had any check engine lights/ warnings with this setup.

8. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz
    hi there

you was saying that you had software done aswell on your 458 your meaning a ecu remap im trying to avoid a ecu remap because im still in warranty for 2 years.

I keep hearing about these mini cats and the odb cat delete simulator to avoid engine light. but havent found anyone talking about how well they really work

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have a system to open and close the valves manually like Akra, Capristo and Forza (built here locally for less than 1/2 price) …

What I find is that travelling longer trips, I really get tyred from all that noise and I close them again often.

Also the wife doesn't like the open valves …. and neither do the nextdoor neighbours … as mentionned by Caeruleus11

So … think of that too …. :)

10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes I have the NR software, I think they said it does not void the warranty, but maybe it does.

Snaponjackson likes this.
  11. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    The only for sure way to remove the CEL is do have it removed via ecu tune. Its what ive done for my car and havent had any issues. i have also turned off the secondary air/cold start pumps as they were malfunctioning and causing codes to pop up. I also run ethanol(e85) on my 458.

12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My comment above was supposed to say maybe you should find out if it does.

13. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz
    hi I will do ill fine out about the NR software aswell.

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I am very very happy with the changes to the car. The power difference is noticeable and the car sounds just the way I always wanted it. Its not quite that high pitched scream of the 355, because the 458 is a larger engine (and lacks the 5 valves per cylinder) but makes a kind of higher end baritone wail.

15. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    Ozan,

As others have mentioned, the best way to take care of the CEL would be through Novitecs ECU Remap. This does have about 10 day turn around as the cars ECUs will have to be shipped to Germany. Not only is the CEL taken care of but the red line is raise to 9,100 RPM and you have valve actuation control from the Manettino.