Period Correct Radio | FerrariChat

Period Correct Radio

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I just bought and received an Italian spec NOS Voxson “Hockenheim 70” radio in the original box with original manuals off of Italian EBay (thank you Tom Shaughnessy!). Faceplate fits my holes exactly! It would be of interest to me to find out more about this particular spec and also see other “period correct” radios in other Dinos.

Freeman

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hey Freeman,

I know we've discussed this before. Isn't the prevailing notion that whatever you could pick up at the local car stereo store at the time would be correct? They went to the dealers, at least in the USA, without a radio, and there's no spec radio listed in the options on a Dino, right?

I actually spoke with the guy who did a lot of installs in these at the time as a teenager working in his dad's shop on Route 30 in Bryn Mawr, PA. He was a mile east up the road from Algar, and they sent most of their cars to him for radios.

Goodman Radio is still there, all these years later, and Gary Goodman, last I checked, still takes an occasional turn behind the sales counter. Very knowledgeable guy, has also been a concours judge for a number of years. http://www.goodmanradio.com/ Probably has an attic full of old radios too.

I don't recall what we ended up installing in my Dino, but we spent some time finding something he felt was appropriate, getting it refurbished, and eventually installing it. Maybe Uro can post a pic.

What was much more interesting was finding the correct antenna and escutcheon for the mounting on the fender. I eventually found a half dozen antennas on Ebay.it, and brought them here. Kept two, the rest got sold to fellow fchatters.

D

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks Dave for your insights. I figured since my Dino was originally Italian/Euro spec, this is a correct radio someone in Italy would have installed. I’d love to hear more thoughts on correct antennas. Hirshmann antennas are still available. Anyone have an extra Voxson?

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The Voxson are impossible to find.

I got mine from a guy who was advertising them for alfas on ebay. He had about a dozen at the time.

D

5. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FWIW my Italian-market car was fitted with a Hirschmann, so you'd be fine without the Voxson antenna.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Nothing listed on the original invoice. As far as I know, this is "period correct", albeit with modernised internals. Not that I ever use it . . . Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I like the way the faceplate matches the other bezels!

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    When I bought my '73 Alfa in Italy, under advise of the radio guy in Rome, he installed the radio in the glovebox, as these were everyday thief fodder.
    No antenna to give it away, as very cleverly hidden in the insurance registration carrier under the mirror. The precursor of the windshield antenna...
    It was a must to have a cassette player, specially with the lovelies, as they always carried their music with them.

It survived one whole year, and of course, it was stolen in SFO. The glovebox was locked, but the thief simply tore off the whole assembly from under the dash.

This was an exact replacement plus a new glovebox. Thankfully the dash is still virginal, no holes and no damage.

It still works, and might look the part in the '73 Dino.

Regards, Alberto

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  10. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    As an original owner who took delivery in Miami 11/1972 at Orange Motors, no radio was installed. There was a Becker radio dealer in Coral Gables, who I had install the radio (Becker Europa II). I still have the blanking plate that the car came with!

11. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    That was a dealer's wrong choice......very kitsch, the Autovox (big Voxson competitor) SA-86 is still available!
    Simply look for it on ebay.it, subito.it or kijiji.it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

All the best
    Bruno, Italy

(Voxson and other brands car radio/combo/stereo expert)

12. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011

13. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    Voxson stuff always had high sale prices...this is why their power antennas had very poor results and soon disappeared from the market.
    In many years of search I only found an old model supplied with 2 drive motors but without the core wire...I don't know when/if I will take care of it!
    Everybody bought cheaper (and even better!) ones like those made in Japan or by Autovox.
    As to the 8-track unit...the Voxson Sonar GN104SR was really very fine looking and a must for those times (end 1967)....by far better looking than Lear Jet models.
    Last but not least the Philips cassette was not so popular in Italy...like the FM broadcastings!
    Bruno