Personal property tax on my 458 in NC question | FerrariChat

Personal property tax on my 458 in NC question

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by flnsx, Mar 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flnsx

flnsx Rookie

Oct 19, 2004
    I am moving to Mecklenburg County NC from Florida. I have a few cars and am wondering about what percentage the county takes from yearly for personal property tax.

Are they generally basing their cost off the retail or wholesale cost of the vehicle? Are they usually right on with their assessment?

What are you guys paying yearly for your cars?

2. mj1214

mj1214 Rookie

Jun 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I live outside of Charlotte in a different county and paid around 3k a year on a car valued at around 400k. It stung because this is every year and goes down per year as the car “depreciates.” Use this tool. It’s pretty accurate:

https://edmv.ncdot.gov/TaxEstimator

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster likes this.
  3. mj1214

mj1214 Rookie

Jun 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When I had a Huracan, I was paying around $2700 per year on this tax.

4. flnsx

flnsx Rookie

Oct 19, 2004
    Thank you very much!

mj1214 likes this.
  5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Fun fact!

In SC any car with an “antique plate”, over 25 years old and not used for regular transportation is taxed at……$0!

$100 or $5,000,000 car, no matter, zero tax.

SCFerrari and mj1214 like this.
  6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Got to be 30 yo in NC. Which sucks....

7. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    But they make up for it on the new ones! Property tax not sales tax that is.

UroTrash likes this.
  8. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    A lot of our clients with multiple cars "store them" in Montana, in a desk drawer :) It is a one time fee for registration. Amazing how often they bring them to Charlotte for driving and service.

nicholasn likes this.
  9. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That’s just inspection. I still have to pay registration and property tax on my old Ferrari and Harley.

10. hans2

hans2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    Montana tags are your answer.

11. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Antique tags are available for cars 30 years or older and the PPT is caped at $500 regardless of vehicle actual value. Car is to be used for shows etc. and not daily driven. Kind of an administrative pain to get but not much different than getting the Montana plates. I have several of my older units tagged this way. Newer high value there is only one option.

12. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Do you have a link or such?

13. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    One thing you may find is they don't know how to value some cars. I have a 2015 458 (low miles, high options) and they valued it at $93K (this was a few weeks ago). So my total tax and other fees in Wake County was $915. My local buddy with a Murcielago paid under $700. YMMV

Thecadster likes this.
  14. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Kevin
    If your car qualifies then just go to DMV and request and antique tag and they will switch it.

15. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Kevin, What Peter said plus do it before the 90 day renewal date or they will do the transfer but you will still have to pay the regular tax value for the upcoming year. They got me on that little point for one of my cars that I waited until I got the annual renewal notice. Also be ready to get a form from your local county tax office after the DMV issues the annual renewal to verify the use of the vehicle. I actually received the renewals with the old values and then got the county form. After completing and returning the county form about a week later I got the correct revised tag billing with the $500 limit from the DMV. Just government making you jump through the hoops to get something they really didn't want to grant in the first place. We can thank the Classic Vehicle lobby for getting this through for us a few years ago (I think it was 2018). NC DMV is not the greatest to work with when it comes to registering and tagging classic cars. It was a real crap show when I moved here from AZ with my older vehicles and that is a story for another time. :eek:

16. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wow this has been enlightening.

First, while I currently do not drive my Ferrari daily I would not rule it out in the future. It is a driver not a show car.

This year Wake county wants $135.97 for the old nag.

So, I question getting the antique tag.

17. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/property-tax/property-tax-forms/av-66-antique-automobile-value-exclusion-application

I recently put an antique plate on my 328. In addition to getting the tag from the DMV, you also have to complete the form on the linked page above and take the completed form to your county tax office. Was actually very easy and only took 5 mins once I found time to drive to the office. Saved several hundred dollars on property tax this year, so was worth it.

18. Ultima RS

Ultima RS Karting

Apr 4, 2022
    https://www.mttitles.com

You're welcome. :)

19. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Then it’s settled. Simply never buy a new car. ;)