Personalised Registations | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Personalised Registations

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by EK3R, Oct 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twotoomany

twotoomany Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    David Higgins
    RON 1 R0NNY B1G RON BR 1 R0SSA, What ever fires your rocket.

What is the fine or penalty for an incorrect plate, or would it be deemed a false plate and carry a heavier penalty.
    I suppose what i am really saying do you pay for £20,000 £40,000 for RON 1 or just put RON 1 on your car and eventually pay the fine or penalty.
    I must emphasize that this is hyperthetical only.

2. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Are you saying put on a plate that does not belong to you? ie I put EK 1 on my car even though it is owned by somebody else?

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Yeh I think thats exactly what he's saying!

4. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    In that case would of thought it would be significantly more than just a fine!

5. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I think there is a big difference between bending the law and outright breaking!

6. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    You wouldn't catch me doing this.

This would constitute using a False Instrument and carries a maximum sentence of 10 years imprisonment(as opposed to maximum £1000 fine for having an irregular plate.

Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, s.1, states

“a person is guilty of forgery if he makes a false instrument with the intention that he or another shall use it to induce someone to accept it
    as genuine, and by reason of so accepting it to do or not do some act
    to his own or another person’s prejudice.”

Well it's up to you but it's your arse that Mr Big(who's in with the warders)will be after in the showers :)

7. twotoomany

Sep 15, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    David Higgins
    Whats the difference between tampering with letters and numbers as previously discussed and having RON 1. the end result is a falsified plate. the main difference being with RON 1 you get the plate you really want albeit for a undefined length of time and in effect you are breaking the law, but not actually hurting any body, except perhaps the dealers, who everyone with out exception as been slagging off throughout this thread.
    The people who puchase a plate then butcher it to try and make it something its not risk the same penalty and fine.I personally know someone who had his 2 initials and a number for in excess of 5 years before a small fine of £80. Once again I must reitterate that I do not condone this but opened it for discussion. I personally have purchased both my plates at Swansea DVLC auctions as previously mentioned in this thread.

TWOTOOMANY

8. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Repost of mine - but guarantee the last paragraph will totally amaze you!

Polly Curtis of the Guardian
    Wednesday August 7, 2002

'What's in a name? About £100,000 if you want one on a number plate and it happens to be Singh. And, according to new research, people are prepared to pay such a sum to boost their egos.

A survey based on personalised number plates, conducted by Professor Andrew Oswald, of the University of Warwick, found that having such a plate is purely a status symbol.

"Simply for a 5" x 15" rectangle of plastic, some people will pay the price of a flat in a nice English city," said Professor Oswald. "Where diamonds and watches have a function - to look pretty or tell the time - number plates don't have a function apart from status, yet people will spend thousands of pounds on them."

Professor Oswald, and colleague Matthew Corder, surveyed a sale of nearly 3,000 number plates. What they found was that status symbols, while having no intrinsic function, are valuable to the ego.

"This market has no humour, it's entirely based on ego. They don't pay for funny words, they pay for their own name. Very human and somewhat sad, but there you have it," said Professor Oswald.

The research shows that ego is big business. And so do the figures.

The most expensive number plate ever sold was for an ego-busting £250,000. It read K1NG. The research found that a three-letter word raises a number plate's value by £200, while the average first name will put £1,100 on the price and a surname £1,300.

The British government has made £700m selling number plates'

That last paragraph is unbelievable!

Cheers Kevan

9. twotoomany

Sep 15, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    David Higgins
    Not all plates are bought for boostering egos. I purchased 4 LH for my wife and 7 DH as never been on a car only on a retention certificate for some seven years. Or am I kidding myself, do I really need a single number and two letters to increase my self esteem, on a car. When you lay it out in those simple terms it does seem rather pathetic
    I sometimes justify spending £7,000 on number plates by reasurring myself as to the increase in value 100,s of % over the original purchase cost.

TWOTOOMANY

10. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    at the end of the day does it really matter?

agreed investment potential is huge (and long may it continue as my pension is cr*p)
    fun factor is pretty huge too
    ego? well I guess thats like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder!

11. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    No comments yet about the £700m raised from selling the number plates - I was bl@@dy outraged!:mad:

This on top of road tax and the duty on petrol - and don't even get ne started on speed cameras :mad::mad:

12. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    The £700m doesn't bother me. If they didn't take it from selling plates they'd take it from somehwere else. At least it gives us a chance to buy a decent plate that maybe we wouldn't have had.

13. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Crack on with your plates guys, contrary to popular belief, we DO have better things to do!

In 8 years I have only booked one guy for having a number plate the size of a beer mat with chinese style italic writing on the back of his big F. O. motorbike, and he got the standard fine for it... £30!!!!!

You pays ya money and takes ya chance, but if you do get stopped, remember your manners and you might even just get a defect rectification form.

Mike

14. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Thats a fair comment. Everytime I get stopped by the police, which is often, I'm always very polite and so far I have not had any fines or points. Manners are the way forward indeed - for everyone.

15. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Everytime I get stopped by the police, which is often,

may we ask why??!!

16. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    So, me coming out with, "you b@st@rd!" when you pulled me over wasn't quite the recommended approach then Mike? :D

And on the subject of totally false plates... most naff spacing/tampering can at least be made out for what it is supposed to be most of the time.

False plates in an accident or incident, no identification, no comeback, no insurance... not on, in my humble opinion

17. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Kevan,

I have 456 FMT on retention since I sold my 456 which i had up for sale @ £1250 but would consider an offer if you are interested!

Regards,

Gary

18. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I drove around in a car with the wrong plate on for months. Not deliberate, just the nitwit plate-maker had typo'd one of the numbers...

I've heard of two cars (residing near Embankment, London?) one with the plate 2B, and the other with the plate NOT 2B. Now that is cool.

Robert.

19. twotoomany

Sep 15, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    David Higgins
    "remember your manners" What on earth does that mean, agree totally with the nice Police officer, say please and thankyou at the appropiate time.

In my experiences its the police who should be more civil, most officers seem to have majored in advanced sarcasm.

KISS MY ASS TO ALL POLICEMAN

Hows that for manners

TWOTOOMANY

20. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K

Well if you have been driving like a **** and get pulled for it, it would be common decency to show some respect to them....

21. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    :scratchheadsmiley:

Well, all I can say is, I've been let off more times than I've been booked.

22. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Not had the same success being polite to speed cameras.

Robert.

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    That plate's on a Bentley , the others on AMGSL. The house is on the left as you approach Albert Bdge, going towards City.

24. twotoomany

Sep 15, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    David Higgins
    EKR.
    Are all police polite and curteous. Not in my experience, which is limited. I actually have a clean licence for the first time 25 years of driving. Has any body else got a clean licence in this dayof speed cameras and the sneaky new van with blacked out windows hiding yet another money making method.
    I still drive almost everywhere over the speed limit,most drivers do.

Never driven like a "****"

TWOTOOMANY

25. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    All policemen are 5hitbags - traffic policemen are big vagina's

512 Tea Are - Tea Arse - Tear Arse