Perspex headlight covers 365GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bowzer, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Bowzer

Bowzer Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    European first batch 365 GT 2+2 had the perspex headlight covers fitted from the factory. When these were proposed for the US market , they were not accepted. Following this the factory stopped fitting them even on the next in line Euro models. Does anyone know which euro car chassis # was fitted with these perspex headlight covers ? Thank you Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Where are you getting this information? I do not think that your first or third sentences are correct. As I replied to one of your threads last month:

" I do not believe these cars ever had the covers installed at the Factory. It is understandable why someone would think the covers could have been standard because the Pininfarina promo shot from '67 included the covers. My old car, 11199, was the 26th car made and did not come w/ the covers. My impression from looking at hundreds of Queen Mother pictures over the years is that certain Euro dealers offered them - like Maranello Concessionaires. I believe the dealer would have installed the covers along with the market-appropriate radio and exterior mirrors. I have seen about a dozen QMs with the covers, and none of the attachment methods were the same - some very neatly done, and others not so much . . . . You can buy covers online - they are intentionally cut a little big and need to be trimmed down.

The 365 Californias DID have covers installed from the Factory/Pininfarina. If I were to install covers on a QM, I would mimic the California covers and attachment method."

I can also add that one of the prototypes was extensively covered in Tom Yang's forum many years ago. As either the second or third car built, it did not have the covers, nor any evidence that it ever had them.

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you Bryanp, mine is 11603 and , 132'nd made. It is without these perspex headlight covers. As you say Pininfarina promo shoot from '67 does show them whilst official Ferrari website does not have them on their picture of the model. Hence my confusion, also many today sport them and many don't. I tend to want my car to be as per original as possible and wished to make sure about this dilemma. Also the fact that they are on the market made my doubts more profound. Therefore, I shall take heed once and for all to your information about this, and leave her without :)

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Understood - I think you would be very safe in not installing them. Next time you are under the car, you could remove the shroud at the front of one of the front wheel wells, shine a light at the back of the headlight bucket and see if there are any attachment points visible that might have been covered over if it had actually started life w/ the perspex covers. I'll be very surprised if you find any evidence.

5. Bowzer

Bowzer Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I will ;-) Thanks

6. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM