PerTronix Problem | FerrariChat

PerTronix Problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by MFlanagan, Sep 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    A couple of years ago, I removed the points & condenser ignition system from my carbureted 308 GTB and replaced it with the PerTronix Ignitor II 9MR-183 electronic system; including a pair of PerTronix FlameThrower II coils.
    Recently, I had an exhaust manifold break that heated up a lot of things. I've gotten most of it back to square one, except for the Speedometer not working, the Tachometer not working -- AND the front bank's spark plugs aren't firing. I've checked the coils and both appear to have continuity through both their primary and secondary windings.
    I haven't been able to think of anything except that the PerTronix System could have gone bad and is what is causing only one bank of the engine to fire. Before I buy a replacement PerTronix System, I'd like to ask if anyone can guide me towards:
    • 1) a test that would help me KNOW that it is the PerTronix System that has gone bad?
    • 2) another source of my problem that I haven't yet considered -- or thought of?
    I'd appreciate whatever help you can offer.

Mike Flanagan

Peter likes this.
  2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Swap the coils wires (trigger and HT lead) to see if the issue swaps to the rear bank or stays at the front. If it stays bad at the front, good at the rear then the coils are ok. Try moving the sensor wires or wrapping them in grounded foil as these systems are know to be sensitive to EM interference. Lastly, try swapping the sensors on the distributor plate (and the wires to the opposite coils) and see if the issue changes bank. If so a bad sensor.

pegasus500 and Steve Magnusson like this.
  3. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Derek,
    I'm not making any progress. I tried swapping the two coils and the starter kicked out the ignition system altogether. Obviously, I didn't do it right, or . . . . . ?
    I'm attaching a schematic of the wiring, the way I think it's supposed to end up. I do appreciate your advice, Thank you. Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Try disconnecting the black wire at the top of your diagram. Only the black wires from the sensors should go to the (-) sides of the coils while the (+) yellow should connect to both coil (+) and both sensor red wires.

Attached Files:

5. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Okay, scratch the diagram from above -- completely! It doesn't represent ANYTHING accurately. Try the one below, instead. I've only pictured the primary wires -- none of the High Tension wires are shown.
    Still -- After swapping all the coil wires from one to the other, I'm not able to get anything to fire. When I put it back the way I found it, the rear bank will fire again, but it doesn't want to run anymore. Is it time to dig into the Distributor and try switching the sensors? Or is there another possibility that we haven't thought of, yet?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Mike Flanagan

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    So you have a twin distributor engine that uses the Pertronix with two modules in one distributor? Have you checked the primary and secondary resistance of each coil? What voltage are you getting supplied to each coil? I believe you can wire in a light bulb in series to verify each module is correctly cutting voltage on the primary circuit. There was a thread on it recently so try searching Pertronix.

7. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    This evening it dawned on me that I still have the two coils that were replaced with PerTronix coils when I made the switch. I'll try to see if using one or both of them will change the way the car is behaving.
    Mike Flanagan

8. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    And best I can tell, all of the coils are good -- and one of the sensors has gone bad. Ordered a new PerTronix setup. It's been 34 months since the original order, with a 30 month warranty. I've learned a few neat things that I'd like to pass along:
    It's much easier to work on the distributors and the coils when the left rear wheel and inner fender have been removed. Take the air passage to the oil cooler off, and out of your way, too.
    The trick with a 12 volt bulb seems to work! I'm getting flickering light from one of the sensors and nothing from the other.
    It's really surprising how the engine will (sort of ) run when only one bank is firing. It won't idle, but if you can keep it lit, you can actually move the car under its own power!
    And if you're switching to a PerTronix system, color code your sensor/coil/coil wire combination. If you are trouble shooting, you'll be glad that you did.
    Mike Flanagan

9. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Received the new PerTronix unit before this past weekend, and installed it today. It is as we suspected from the beginning -- One of the modules had gone bad. Installed the new unit and it started right up. Running on all Eight, now.
    In the meantime, I was able to gut the front Dizzy - took out the points and condensers that aren't being used. I also took advantage of the opportunity to lubricate the advance mechanism inside of each Dizzy.
    Thanks to each of you for your advice and your help.
    Mike Flanagan

10. david bentley

david bentley Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Saint Louis Mo US
    Full Name:
    David bentley
    Glad to read you are on your way.......A couple of years ago, I melted a rotor on the rear distributor . .....drove home 200 miles on 4 cyl...not a lot of power, but we got home!