Petrol tanks leaking | FerrariChat

Petrol tanks leaking

Discussion in '308/328' started by steven_ew, Mar 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Any ideas about replacement petrol tanks for 308?

Both my L and R tanks in the GTS developed pin hole leaks maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I fixed them at the time with POR 15 but it’s now starting to peel off inside the tanks and is a bit of a mess really.

Options I guess are to have the bottom of the tanks replaced vs getting new ones vs using some other form of sealant or internal bag?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thank you

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Depends on your budget. Even used tanks are likely expensive. A good metal fabricator should be able to cutout and repair the sections leaking. I would prefer repair over sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Get them fixed and then coat internally with a product that resists ethanol, there is a product in the UK called slosh its like a very thing resin that you just tip in the tanks slosh around and then drain the excess so this provides a barrier layer to the aluminium.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Superperformance in uk list both lh+rh. at £1300 each for a 308. Eurospares have a lh for about £2000 where are you ?

5. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    The way I used to do antique tanks was to use aircraft tank seal, thick layer. Worked great

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    With tanks this old, would you want to clag a sealant on it

7. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I had perforation in the bottom of my left side tank (the rectangular "sump" section) that a PO tried to epoxy. After looking for a good/correct salvage tanks, it became clear the best fix was to have the bottom of my original tank cut off and refabricated. It was a 26 hour, $3,700 job by a professional restoration shop, including removal and install. They had to machine a new outlet fittings and new brass screen as that assembly had rusted badly. (Steel parts at the bottom, plus water as the car had sat for some time, likely led to galvanic corrosion. The steel sender unit was also corroded.) Anyway, they did a perfect job, including new fuel lines, neck filler tube, and correct exterior coating/paint. Didn't do any internal coating, as I drive it regularly, use Stabil during winter. Should be good for 40 years.

As an aside, the PO's shop struggled with 2-3 new fuel pumps before getting one to work. I learned it was the rust flakes fouling the pumps. If you are frequently failing fuel pumps, this would be something to check.

8. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks

what did you use for replacing the heat shield material on the outside of tanks after repairs?

It’s important?

I’ve seen threads about using under seal to make it look right but I’m more fussed about the heat shield performance

9. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks; I think Superformance is just GT4 tanks? I did fine the company who made superformance tanks once and they can’t do GTB/S tanks without a pair of samples and its destructive process they use

10. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I recommend using what aircraft use on aluminium tanks. ProSeal. Its a two part epoxy the will bond permenently to aluminium and will not peel. Do not get it on you! I have used it with great success on airplanes and Ferrari fuel tanks.

11. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't know what they used, but it has the original textured aluminized appearance. I am not aware if the tank coating has any heat shielding properties.

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Lizard Skin is a close proxy for the original insulation and can be stippled on by hand followed by some heat resistant silver paint. Por15 has a decent one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Yes i see that (308: Gt4). Not sure if they mean one or two models. Eurospares list one under different number so that might be correct LH unit. If they have a new LH it must mean they can get a RH unit