PF Coupe Special 1121GT spotted today | FerrariChat

PF Coupe Special 1121GT spotted today

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by sjvalin, Apr 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    #1 sjvalin, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Interesting. Notice the competition seat belts, somebody has had some fun with this car along the way!

Is that correct for a 128D motor to have unfinished cam covers? I thought they were all black crackle by that time.

Jeff

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

I really like this model.

4. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    I love the model, but not a fan of it in red. Why is it a "special"?

5. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Damn I missed it. Steve is there anything for sunday? By the way the owners name is Van.

6. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    No show on Sunday. I have the owner's name, but didn't want to post it on a public forum.

Geez, Michael, they manage to round up a LOT of interesting cars this year and you are a no show? What's up with that?! :)

1121GT, along with 1751GT, have a modified nose with covered headlights. I *think* these were done by Pininfarina as specials, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure others here can provide details.

-steve

7. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

Some of us have to work weekends and study, and some of us sleep in and forget about car shows we want to go to. I didn't post the guys whole name you know ;).

8. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    FINALLY!!! #1121 has emerged from it's journey in time!

I started to visit FChat, a few years ago, trying to discover what happened to a 250GT Pininfarina Coupe, that I almost bought back in 1970. Here she is!

I am very glad to see her in good form and enjoyed by a loving owner. It also answers one of the unsolved questions, that I have about her. I am happy to end this search and know that all is well. I direct those who don't know what I'm talking about to # 1157, and all the posts about this car, which we thought it was, until it was discovered that it was really #1121, that was the car.

I wish the owner would contact me, is he an FChatter? Does anyone know him?

Ciao...Paolo :D

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Very little is known of these cars. No additional notes in Pininfarina records (which doesn't prove this or that). Personally I have hard time believing Pininfarina would make a custom job and use Alfa bumpers. Pininfarina was very careful with details and his cars were always perfectly balanced. Neither have I ever seen big chrome bezels inside headlights covers. Therefore I would think that somebody else did the nose job on these two cars.

Best wishes, kare

10. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    Well, in spite of the things that are not kosher if it were a pininfarina job it looks pretty decent at least in the photos. The alfa bumpers look pretty good too. The engine is kindof rough looking and the return springs on the throttle are obviously not right. The shifter looks a lot shorter than mine, and for once it appears that it was an original red car at least by looking at the dash. My car is #1421. My car looks to be the same color as that one but it is not a Ferrari color, according to the PO. My car was originally black with red leather and the dash is still that color.

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice.

Tom W

11. alsaautomotive

alsaautomotive Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    Having been 'up close & personal' with 1751 there is no doubt in my mind that this car was definetely a home conversion - all of the differences had a bodge or two about them - particularly the crude spacers used to mount the bumpers, the side vents (which aren't on 1121) not being in line with anything on the body & the crude flared wheelarches (again not on 1121).
    Just my opinion though!
    Cheers, Al.

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I believe there are 5 actual specials, and headlight treatment is not part of the club. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The inside plug engines I am told by reliable sources should have black painted cam covers and silver timing chain covers.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The amount of speciales depends of what you count in. Only 1187GT is listed as a speciale in pininfarina records, but there a half a dozen other cars were built with various non-standard features. Inside plug engine having silver painted cam chain covers is probably true. The only outside plug engine I've seen with this feature is 1899GT - and that is probably a mistake by the restorer. Several inside plug engines have black covers, but they may all have been painted over. Best wishes, Kare

14. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Grigio scuro is the color of this car. Is that a dark metallic silver or is it just a dark non-metallic gray?

john

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    These Series I Europas are not in my research area but this one just is great. Yes it has some rough edges and the engine could be cleaned up but boy does it look original. Sure there are some, what may appear to be, minor modifications but we have to remember this car was built in the period when no two cars were exactly alike and the original owner could still make changes in the car if it was a special order. One has to be careful when something doesn't look original.I justy may be original to this one car. Anyhow after seeing so many "Pebble Beach" type over restored cars cars that really don't resemble the original it is realy nice to seen a car like 1121. Just look at those searts if nothing else. They just ooze originality. Just one man's opinion. Tongascrew

16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thats a very good looking car... Saw the back end flipping through the pictures quickly and said "Vignale?"

Then the PF badge gave it away. Great car, all polished up and she would be amazing!

_J

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The puffy seats (I assume you meant "seats?") with racing harnesses do not say "originality" to me.

18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

My car has duel fender mounted rear view mirrors. It is a special.

19. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Sorry about the spelling. Yes should be seats. But let's get real. Did it ever occur to you the owner may do some competition events? The harnesses are fully removable and to drive around today with no belts,which would be "original", would be foolish. You are missing the woods for the trees. Just one man's opinion. tongascrew

20. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    #20 Bob Zambelli, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I kept looking at them, thinking they looked familiar.

I had a 1967 ALFA Duetto for many years.

Check out the covers - what do you think???

Bob Z.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login