Phil Hill R.I.P. (1927 -2008) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Phil Hill R.I.P. (1927 -2008)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ferrarip4, Aug 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Such sad news. I never met Phil Hill, but he always exuded class and seemed like a great guy. Thank you--you will be missed.

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #52 It's Ross, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Two years ago in Elkhart Lake.
    After a long day at RA, he was still gracious and posed for his photo.
    The fellow with the silly expression is me, the lady on the right my friend's wife, Sally.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    A great man, a great racer, and a great human being. I never saw him race competitively, but I always enjoyed reading about him and reading his take on things. I don't know if anyone subscribes to Auto Week, but just recently they did their 50th anniversary issue and not only was he listed as one of the top 50 pioneers of racing, there was a terrific picture of him and JM Fangio from 1958 which was Phil's first and Fangio's last grand prix. If I can scan it, I will try to post it.

4. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Vaya con Dios

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    So true.

But what an exciting life !

6. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #56 AnotherDunneDeal, Aug 30, 2008
  7. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    Great photos, thanks for sharing...

8. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Truly sad news..................... R.I.P Mr. Phil Hill
    you will be missed................. :(

9. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    #59 Michele, Sep 1, 2008
    Whow, that comes as a shock to me. I remember speaking with Phil Hill at Spa in the early ´90s where he drove a Ferrari 250TR like he never retired (see picture below). And later during Le Mans Classic. Hill still had the spirit and put the Alfa Romeo he was driving on 1st place. Great driver, nice person, never refused an autograph.

R.I.P.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I met Phil once, in Philadelphia in the mid 1980's, at an overnight stop for the Great Race, which Phil, being the classic car enthusiast that he was, did regularly in those days. I don't recall what he was driving, but it was very old and very large! It was a fairly short conversation, since they had a bit of work to do on the car, but he was still friendly and cordial, and always willing to talk to a Ferrari fan. I always loved his "Salon" articles in "Road & Track", and his book "Ferrari: A Champion's View" will always occupy an important place on my bookshelf. R.I.P., Phil, and enjoy your chats with Enzo and Luigi!

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just heard. A great loss. Superb driver and gentleman. Likely driving a great Ferrari (or Packard) someplace far away right now. Hope to see him in the future.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. StickChic

StickChic Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    So Cal
    Taz: The Phil Hill Funeral is tomorrow at 10:30AM, St Monica Church, 725 California Ave, Santa Monica

13. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I received this yesterday in my email Via an attendee of the service. -

- Rick Cole sent this to Sports Car Market magazine to share with other members of the car collecting and motorsports community:

For those who could not attend the funeral of Phil Hill, a copy of the tribute booklet for today's services is attached.

As Rick had known Phil for almost 40 years, he was privileged yesterday to share remembrances with Alma Hill of the special times they all had together.

Alma told Rick the photo on the back cover is very personal to her (and was actually acquired by her after Phil left us), because he passed away only a few yards from that finish line. -

- If anyone would like to see the attachment of the booklet mentioned above, please PM me as the file is to large to post.