Photography question regarding 1961 Mercedes 300SL | FerrariChat

Photography question regarding 1961 Mercedes 300SL

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Pepsi10, Jul 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I have a question about the attached images. This is from an auction that finished today. I have done a bit of photography, and a very small amount of work with photoshop. I liked these images, and wondered if anyone here could explain, in a few sentences, how they think these were created? My guess would be to put the car in some kind of garage, light the car to create the shadows, photograph the car, then use photoshop to delete the background but retain the shadows? Then select all that remained (the car and shadow) and paste onto the colored background?

Or maybe it is easy within photoshop to create the shadows?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ftrjz

ftrjz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 13, 2021
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    I work as an automotive photographer to the side a few times each year and I'm tasked to shoot in this style often. Ideally you shoot in a studio, which is almost always cost and logistics prohibitive. As long as I have a relatively clean environment (in these cases in larger shop spaces with clean floors) and can control lighting 100%, it is relatively easy. Usually the lighting itself dictates the shadows, and then the background is processed separately. In some cases the shadow can be created in post, but it's a pain. The most important part is to light the car in a way so that the shadow makes sense. The photos you posted may have been done in a single exposure or just a few exposures, as the main light looks very directional and there is very little fill light. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pepsi10 likes this.
  3. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Perfect. Thank you. Really good effects in your two examples. The Mustang, more menacing, the SUV, cleaner. I guess the Mercedes, very stylized, with a more extreme light source angle sometimes. Thanks for the knowledge.