Picking up a 430 spider | FerrariChat

Picking up a 430 spider

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by j.mo, Aug 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j.mo

j.mo Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    I am soon to be the new owner of an 05 430 spider, 47k miles, pending the pre purchase inspection goes over well.

Any certain things to focus on, or be concerned over at that mileage?

Also, the seller mentioned a possible sensor issue with the top, as sometimes it works perfect, sometimes it doesnt. I've been reading up a little about the causes and it seems as there is a slew of them.
    The car is coming out of new Jersey, can anyone recommend someone out that way to do the inspection or shipping?
    The car will be coming back to California. This will be my first introduction to exotics. I do plan to actually drive this car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    1) crash. Has it happened and how well was it repaired?
    2) headers: Have they been replaced? These have been known to crack
    3) EMISSIONS!: Bringing this back to CA will cost you a bundle if they took out the Cats or it does not pass for some reason.
    4) Top function. Its expensive to fix it does not work well. Sensor - not too bad. Hydraulics -- bad. Also the material's general condition. Not cheap to replace.
    5) CLUTCH: how much is left on it
    6) originality: Has it been modded? Does it include everything like books, tools, and the flashlight in the glovebox?
    7) suspension: With that many miles you have to check that the suspension does not need rework
    8) records: Having records of what was done and who did it would be really helpful
    9) tires: A new set will set you back a couple of grand right off the bat.
    10) brakes: Again with that mileage, you need to check the brakes and rotors to see if they are within spec.

If you plan to drive this car then you want a high mileage car. Adding more miles won't hurt the resale much than if you bought a 5000 mile car. But like any car, the more miles the more wear tear.

The F430 is a good car but like any exotic, it can cost you a bundle to fix. Just go in with your eyes open.

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    After buying several exotics, my general rule of thumb is put away $20k just in case.

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 on that. Purchased my 430 about 3 months ago and already put $15k of unanticipated "fixes" into it. TheMayor has a great list of items to look for. In fact, part of my fixes included replacing leaking headers, repairing oil leaks, and replacing oil/water pump. I also needed to get a replacement flashlight & toolkit, second key fob, plus repair paint chips on fender, hood, and doors.

I had a PPI done, but that turned out to be useless. The PPI is only as good as the person doing it, have them focus and report on the items TheMayor brought up. Make sure they take the undertray off to do a complete inspection from below.

A few other items to look for. Some members (myself included) have the window switch light stay illuminated after turning the alarm off. I don't know why that is the case and cannot solve it. Also, a few are having issues with the lock switch on the door not triggering the lock.

Other than the above, I love the car and do not regret my purchase. It is always excitement when climbing into the car and pushing that red button.

5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Good advice above. My experience with a similar mileage car was very good. No mechanical issues, but be very careful in checking the operation of the hood, particularly the mechanism and any weakness from folds in the material. Walk if not happy. I passed on 3 cars because of the hood.

6. j.mo

j.mo Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    Thanks for the help guys!
    I'm picking it up for $75k. Clean title

7. j.mo

j.mo Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    Hood as in, engine bay, or trunk?

Who would be best to have do the inspection? A dealer? Or an independent shop?

What can I expect to get out of this at say, 60k miles. Should be able to break even and enjoy it for a bit, minus cost of maintenance and unforseen repairs. Which hopefully will be seen with an inspection.

I'm 28, so I'm going to want to drive this thing, I've been looking at 458's for quite some time, but it seems this 430 is more suitable for me to step in and get my feet wet. A car i can actually run some miles on and use.

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had mine done by an independent shop that is a Ferrari "expert" in Los Angeles. In retrospect, I should have had it done by a dealership. I don't think the "expert" ever took off the undertray or did a proper inspection.

I say at $75k you got a great deal. Just stay up on the maintenance to avoid costly repairs. I had all the fluid changed after getting the car, and that's when I found the problems. I have a few other items to fix aside from what I mentioned.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    "Hood" would be his local term for "convertible top."

Sounds like a car that is already largely depreciated due to its mileage, so if it's in good mechanical shape and looks nice, you should be able to rack up the miles with impunity. Just be aware that expensive repairs can lurk in any Ferrari, and if it's a stretch to afford buying the car, a little bad luck mechanically can be a backbreaker. Assuming it's an F1, make sure someone who knows and understands the transmission does the inspection, and then I would certainly perform some maintenance on that right off the bat (change the fluid, etc.).

10. j.mo

j.mo Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    Oh, ok. Awesome thanks for the heads up.
    The car will not be financed and should something need repair it is not an issue financially, other than I don't really want to get upside down heavily in this car lol. The inspection will be done by a local ferrari dealer in NJ, the car is being hauled there Thursday morning. Hopefully all checks out well and I'll fly out Monday night.
    There's virtually the same car for sale locally, with 138k that the seller will not budge off $85k for, so that to me let's me know that these cars can go the distance if taken care of, what it costs to put 100k on a Ferrari maintenence wise, I do not want to know. Hahaha.

11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Forgot about what "hood" means across the pond!

OP: good luck with the purchase.

12. j.mo

j.mo Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    Well, the PPI came back with quite a bit of work required. So I'm going to pass and continue on the search.

13. j.mo

j.mo Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    #13 j.mo, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  14. ferraritommy

ferraritommy Rookie

Aug 2, 2017
    Milford NJ
    I know this thread is a little bit older, but personally i always check to see if it has the common water pump leak or the loose rear supension.

F430abdo likes this.