Pics/before & after paint correction | FerrariChat

Pics/before & after paint correction

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by turbomangt, Oct 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    Here is a Coupe I got in yesterday and it made me sick to see how the finish was neglected (and abused). Never expected to see an F car with less than 11,000 miles to look llike this. In any event here is the process I used to restore. Some people wanted to see before and after shots.
    Hand wash/clay/wash again. Solvent bath (heavy tar build up) Alkyline wash for surface contaminents. wash with soap/rinse. dry with WW MF towel.
    PAF Ultimate Paint cleaner applied by hand/removed MF towel
    Ardex professional swirl remover use with dual head cyclo buffer/yellow pad
    Meguiars hand polish applied with DAPC (tan pad) removed by hand with MF
    PAF Ultimate paint sealant applied by hand, allowed to cure 20 minutes, removed with MF towel.
    The results met with my satisfaction, and more importantly the owner thought is was a brand new car. Gary

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Looks good I have seen some worse cars not F-car's with under 11k had to wet sand certain sports and compound came out looking like glass. How did that person manage to get tar on a 11k Fcar :(

3. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    Judging from the conition of the finish, driving down a freshly oiled street was no big deal I guess.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Gary. I have a question for you. My car is an '81 Ferrari 308GTSi. It was a very low mileage car when I bought it almost 4 years ago. Have since put on about 7500 Miles.

Anyway. I'm getting a few spots on the paint that are "Checking",or "Crazing". Not really bad...But,I,notice it...:(

Can this be "Wetsanded" out,and save the original Paint? Maybe,having the whole car gently Wetsanded,then shot with a few coats of Clear?

I really want to avoid painting the car. Just because I want it to remain original. But,if it ends up that I have to in a few years,then so be it.

5. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    Red81308, before I give my advice I would like to see the car, won't cost anything to have me look at it. My web site is the best way to contact me, www.perfectautofinish.com My shop is in Roselle. Gary

6. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Hi Gary,

Did this car come to you from Fox Valley Motors? My friend just traded in his black 360 last week for a silver 360 spyder at Fox Valley. He had about 11,000 miles, I'm wondering if this was his car...

7. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Hey Sean, yep, that's the car. I'm sure you'll see Carl cruising in the spider soon! Gary sometimes over-exaggerates when he says a car was abused. You and I both know Carl, and he is the LAST person who would abuse a car. He USES them, so they are going to get some stone chips. Nothing that can't be touched-up.

8. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Hey Mike!

You must remember Carl and I share our studio space, so I see it every day, and have already been for a ride in it, although he is a conservative driver... He says once he gets his full insurance I'll be able to take it for a spin. Any anniversary Countach's come your way yet? By the way, don't you live in Homer Glen? I just moved there, we should get together.

9. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Hi Sean, How did you like the Spider? I moved to Oak Brook about 6 months ago, but my parents still live in Homer Glen near 143rd and Lemont Road. They bought a condo downtown that will be done early next year, so they are going to sell the house, so if you know anybody who wants a 10-car garage, here are some pix. www.RedlineRPM.com/gallery/house Next time I'm out there, I'll let you know, and maybe we can meet. There is a great little place in downtown Lemont called Dilons, that has some great food.

10. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Don't you guys start talking about Countach's now.... Before i got my 328, the Countach was #2 on my list.

In fact, last year when i bought my 328 down in Florida, i spent about 8 months looking for her, a black 328. when i found her in florida, i had the typical PPI done and everything. I got some airfare and flew down there to see her. Now remember, a black Countach was always on my mind.

So, when i got down to Florida to see my new 328 baby, i walked into thier garage and guess what was sitting right next to her?? HAH! A friken Black Countach in awesome condition. I thought i was going to cry......

So, you guys don't want to see me cry again.... ;) Michael, we don't want to know if you come across a black Countach... HAH!... ;)

Sorry for stealing this thread.....

11. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    The spyder is of course beautiful. I like the silver on it better than my Porsche Boxster S. Seeing those two next to each other makes the Porsche look like a bug. I drove his Modena so I know what it can do, can't wait to drive the spyder. Anyway, we are talking about a red anniversay countach, not black. My 308 is black and is bad ass looking, but the countach must be in red.

12. Do you come by www.detailcity.com at all. ? I detail as a hobby, thought I would share the wealth of the forum with you if your interestead.