[pics] C6 Z06 gets huge air in Nurburgring - Flugplatz section of the Nordschleife | FerrariChat

[pics] C6 Z06 gets huge air in Nurburgring - Flugplatz section of the Nordschleife

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by J-R0d, Jul 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J-R0d

J-R0d Rookie

Jul 5, 2005
    http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40683
    http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=939436#post939436

[​IMG]

Article translated:

Thought this would be interesting to you all.
    Scanned from a recent issue of "Bilmagasinet" - danish car mag.
    Interview with Jan Magnussen about (among other things) his record lap at NBR.
    Here´s a translation:

[Top pic, Magnussen and Vette:]
    Thursday morning, Southern Germany. General Motors have discreetly rented the legendary german Nürburgring track for an hour between 7 and 8 in the morning.
    The temperature is more comfortable than at Le Mans, and the track is empty apart from a couple of early rising spy photographers.
    It takes more than a blue Vette to exite them - they recognize it, it´s the Z06 version, the brutal Vette with 500 BHP. What they do not know, is that it´s Jan Magnussen behind the wheel.
    The objective is to beat Walther Rörhl´s laptime in a Porsce GT3 RS - it´s 7:43,0 min for the 20,8 km heavily varied track with 73 corners.
    The record was set in 2004 in a standard version of the Porsche.

[Splash in middle]
    Jan made 7:42,9 thereby beating the Porsche GT3 RS by 0,1 sec.

[Two lower photos]
    "The photo is taken at Flugplatz. I´m going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.
    The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think it´s a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

[About the track and the car]
    "The stree Corbette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs.
    It´s fast.At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap inbetween for both mine and the car´s sake.
    I couldn´t have driven one single lap more. I wouldn´t have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As many folks know. Its common to get air at the Flugplatz section of the Nordschleife, even for full-on race cars. Flugplatz translated is "airfield".

[​IMG]

See Article Here

I thought this was a good quote:

2. the red one

the red one Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Scott
    hmmm, looks like chevy did not spend enough time prefecting the car. If i were GM, i'd be rushing to hide those photos

3. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    uh, okay.

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Ummm, and what other street cars have you seen through that section?

5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Dude, the new Z06 f-ing rocks. Whatever...

6. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    GM just created a 65 thousand dollar 2 seat sports car that kills so many "pedigree sports cars" its not even funny.

I'm sure the photo shots of the car flying etc.... are just for those who have no idea what 7.43 at the "ring " means.

Had a good laugh reading quite a few of the posts to this thread finding some way to knock the Corvette.

7. CabooseF430

CabooseF430 Karting

Dec 18, 2004
    GREATEST.SPORTSCAR.EVER.

8. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    i drove one! hahaha sweet car, fastest thing i've ever been in.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Exactly ... even T33 prototypes and (early) winged F1 cars used to jump.

My only concern with this sort of car is that many young blokes will be able to afford it (not that income has anything to do with driving skill, but it does mean you can purchase faster cars) ... hope they do track days to upskill themselves.

Pete

10. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hide photos of a car that can do the Ring in 7:43? The way I interpret those photos is that the car is so fckn fast, it needs a wing. I'd like to see any other auto company make a $65K car beat the Z06's time. It is far and away the best perfomance car per dollar ever and one of the best price no object.

11. C6Z06

C6Z06 Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    MI
    And what all have you been in, if you don't mind me asking?
    This will give us a better idea of how fast this car really is.

Thanks