Pics of Mondial T I purchased on BAT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pics of Mondial T I purchased on BAT

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by scottmar, Jan 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Nice t, Congrats. The gas tank is aluminum, as far as I know, so non-ethanol is preferred over the long term. Having said that, all we can get is E10 and we haven't had any fuel related problems in the 10 years since we purchased our t. There are known problems with the rubber insulators surrounding the fuel pumps deteriorating. Don't know if ethanol causes the problem.

Dave

Dave

2. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great looking car, enjoy the drive lots of fun, hey it looks like my T coupe, is it manual or Valeo??

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Scott: According to the Pure-Gas (non-ethanol) site, there is a Chevron and a Shell in Atlanta supplying E-0 fuel. Hope this helps. Nice car and hope you enjoy it!

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Doesn't almost all gas sold in stations contain ethanol now? I didn't know there was a choice, nor did I know it was to be avoided. My last 3 cars all have/had aluminum heads and ran on premium w/ethanol.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #30 Alden, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Congratulations on your first drive in the T!

The plastic console panel is easily warped and will delaminate too, probably what yours is doing when you say it is "unglued." It is very easy to damage/crack when you are working with it. Hard to get in them good condition and expensive if you do find one to purchase. Be gentle or be prepared to live with the warps and cracks or pay to replace it.

Someone on the forum posted about straightening theirs out by placing the panel between pieces of granite countertop and then heating the entire fixture in the oven.

The fan and temperature knobs on my 3.2 are held on by two very small hex head screws that you access from the side of the knobs. I don't recall the size, but try an assortment of your smallest hex wrenches or hex tips and you will find one that fits. Do not lose the tiny screw!

I run my 3.2 on 90 US octane ethanol free fuel. She seems to start, run and perform better than with the 10% ethanol 93 US octane Shell Premium I ran when I first got her. Smells better too, much less acrid than when running the ethanol fuel with my gutted catalytic converters.

Not sure about your 3.4, but my 3.2 only requires 89 US octane fuel.

Alden

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes. Most gasoline now contains 10% ethanol and is known as E-10. A few stations sell gasoline without ethanol (E-0) for automotive use and in small engines such as lawn mowers, snow blowers, chain saws, etc. I won't get into it all right here, but there are numerous threads on FChat about the problems caused by too much ethanol in gasoline, especially in older cars not designed for it. Ethanol is also available at most marinas now due to the damage it has caused in boat engines. However, the fuel at marinas does not include road tax and it is a bit of a thorny issue running it in cars to avoid the road tax. E-0 costs anywhere from 50 cents to a dollar a gallon more than gasoline containing ethanol. The additional cost is due to the fact that E-0 is (1) a speciality fuel, and (2) the base stock before any blending is higher octane and costs more to produce.

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the comparisons. Interesting that it feels similar to the Boxer. Curious how my QV would compare (also no power steering). I've never thought of comparing the weight distribution to an early 911. That's interesting as well.

Enjoy!

8. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    I think the manual says 92 octane. I found a station about 10 miles away that sells 90 octane non-ethanol, and amazingly a station only 2 miles away that sells 100 octane Sunoco racing fuel. so i think i will mix in a little of the 100 octane to try to get close to 92 octane total. I'm a little concerned that not many people buy the 100 octane, and hope it isn't stale or has moisture from sitting a long time in the tank. Interestingly, a fuel truck driver told me that they deliver e-10 and non-ethanol in the same trucks, so expect that there could be some ethanol even in advertised non-ethanol. It's probably a very small percentage though.

9. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's the thread Alden references. I did this repair too and it came out really well. My pics are toward the end of the linked string.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/232677-un-warping-mondial-console-switch-cover.html

10. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Scott,

I believe I was the other main bidder on that BaT auction. Assuming this is the one that took place about 12/22 or so. Congratulations again on a great auction and an even better car.

Since the auction, I have scratched my itch with an 03 456M gt (6-speed) in TdF blue with a tan interior (Daytona seats and blue dash, inserts, and steering wheel) so we both ended up with nice new to us rides.

Stay in touch,

Eric

11. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    Eric
    Glad to her from you. Also sounds like quite a nice car you purchased. The color combination must look great on that car.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #37 Laserguru, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It does. I like it ALOT! And your Mondial looks gorgeous. The pics posted here almost look more Rosso Barchetta than Rosso Corso.

Anyway, a small sample of the 456....and New England weather is not being very cooperative to getting much drive time in. Got the car in the third week of January so its been almost 2 months and I've managed one quick run from the western Boston suburbs up to Nashua and back. One drive, maybe 45 miles....arrggghhhh....time for Spring!!

Picture is from previous owner in Florida....not representative of REAL weather....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login