PICS what's wrong with 812 front tire wear? | FerrariChat

PICS what's wrong with 812 front tire wear?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by sarum87, Oct 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    I did my first track day at Thunderhill in California (3 mile track). Had a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. It was sunny and mid 80s. I was running 33 PSI in the front and 31 PSI hot in the rear. The alignment was also done when I put the tires on about a month ago.

See the severe tire wear on the outer edge of both front tires. I'm pretty sure the tires were not under inflated as you can see the wear marks on the sides of the tires. Any thoughts on this wear? thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    I feel a Days of Thunder teachable moment here.

His way, my way……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AClark and ChipG like this.
  3. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    laughs. yea for sure.

4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

What was your camber set to for at the front?

It appears it was set to neutral or maybe positive. The tires need to have some negative camber so it does not ride on the outside edge in the turns.

The inside tire edge appears relatively untouched, if so, that would indicate they were not on the ground as often as the outside edge.

Even though those fronts are a healthy 102 load rating, it was too much if riding on them without any negative camber and they chunked/lost tread.

For the next track event, find an alignment shop that can do a 'track alignment' (i.e. because they do that so often they are very familiar with what to watch for) But tell them not too much negative camber as you want the car to be streetable too. Too much negative camber and the inside edge will quickly wear with regular street driving.

5. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    In my humble opinion, you are seeing the results of severe understeer… which I would expect from a front mid engine V 12 Ferrari.

I think that a day at the track will wreck havoc on any street tire.

more importantly though, it looks like you had a lot of fun!

LVP488, Rfaber and Jakuzzi like this.
  6. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011

Here are the alignment notes for the front:
    camber -1.1 degrees
    castor 4.8
    toe -0.09

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the rubber looks melted, not worn.

8. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    Here are the alignment notes for the front:

camber -1.1 degrees
    castor 4.8
    toe -0.09

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Those seem good, but, I do wonder, was the camber actually set to +1.1 degrees?

Do you have a printout of the alignment? If so, that would likely be accurate as the alignment machine measured the values.

For example:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If whoever did the alignment just wrote it down then I would definitely have it checked/verified.

10. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    Yes. The dealer did the alignment and I have the same printout. The front camber is set to -1.1 degrees

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    If the camber is still -1.1 (might have dealer verify) then it appears the tires have sort of defect in the bonding of the tread to the tire shell, might check with Michelin on that(actually check via the dealer the tires were purchased).

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Those tires were over heated and over driven.

Lots of understeer and the tires grained and heated and the driver kept on pushing the front through the corners muscling the car around the track. In other words tire abuse.

Not being in the car none of us know how the car was driven and if braking, turn in, apex, track out was proper. I’ve instructed many people that will not have a car balanced through a corner and muscle it through and over drive and the tires can’t take it. This is my assumption of why these tires look like this.

-1 degree is not much negative camber. If I feel the front end pushing in a corner I do not over drive the car. I find the balance then I work on alignment, tire pressures sway at setting if adjustable and ride height to get more front end grip …again with out over driving the car.

13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    So....... not tire problem, but diver input, correct? ;)

mdrums likes this.
  14. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Was traction control on (which setting)? With the tires scrubbed into death, i am curious what the rear carbon rotors look like. I suspect those brakes were firing often trying to try and correct the lack of yaw from understeer.

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    On a heavy front engined V12 the load on the outside of the exterior front tyre is huge - I had Pirelli front tyres quickly destroyed on my 599. All the weight and directional power rely on almost a single tyre in a corner...

16. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    Mine is only one tire front passenger that was damaged when I brought to PPIR pikes peak intl raceway Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    That is scary with the cords shown. I’m not sure I would have the cajones to drive a tire anywhere near that close to failure….

carlovers2021 likes this.
  18. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    As soon as we noticed that one tire damaged then we stopped the lapping …. Get new tire then track again at different place the following week then brake pads worn out thus need to replaced all fours…. Glad the season is over this year so time to save money for next year

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LVP488 likes this.