Picture request - F430's with manual tranmissions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Picture request - F430's with manual tranmissions

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Scuderia_Ferrari, Jul 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    I dont think Ferrari make a car with an "Automatic Gearbox" (when I say that I mean a multi-differential heavy lump with a torque convertor) they have "Semi-Automatic" gearbox's. These use a manual gearbox with clutch and have a robot which actually changes gear and uses the clutch - you just pull levers to tell the robot what to do. However by pressing a button the robot will also change gear for you as it sees fit (Auto mode).

Most thick people think that cars are either Automatic or Manual and dont understand that there is a third choice. Hence calling cars without a "stick" automatic. It dosn't help that some manufacturers call their Auto's "Tiptronic with paddle shifters" to cash in on F1 when infact they are just standard Automatics (albeit electronically controlled ones).

For the record:

Manual = stick shift
    Semi-Automatic = manaul paddle shift with robot (no clutch pedal)
    Automatic = Tiptronic = Slow, slurred shifts through a torque convertor

Single Clutch Semi-Automatic = Ferrari F1, Alfa & FIAT Selespeed, BMW SMG, GM Easytronic, Peugeot 2Tronic, Lambourghini EGear (I think)

Double Clutch Semi-Automatic = Audi/VW/Porsche DSG

CVT Semi-Automatic = Rover MGF, Audi Multitronic, Nissan Primera, Toyota Avensis and MR2 - Think Merc do one too.

Not sure about Smart's, I think they are motorcycle sequential drum shifters.

2. NY550

NY550 Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Long Island
    its not automatic it has the paddles.

3. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    My mistake Richard. I didn't mean to credit the wrong person.

4. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    The 456M GTA had a full automatic transmission.

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I was at Silicon Valley Auto Group yesterday, and the three they had were all F1s - two spyders (blue and red), and a red coupe.