~*(Pictures)*~ My 1000HP - You wanna see this! (Ferrari Related too) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

~*(Pictures)*~ My 1000HP - You wanna see this! (Ferrari Related too)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jimmy540i, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

lowering the bike front and back totally changes the rake and trail. it will affect ultimately how the bike turns.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

yeah that is what I heard.

I guess no 748 for my short butt :(

3. ferraripete

btw,

i am 6-4 and when racing was actually shorter than acouple of other fast guys ...one being fritz kling. he used to tell me that our height was an advantage as it allowed us to distribute weight over more areas of the scoot.

go figure!?

i have had too many bike to count and many of which have ended up in a ball from being thrown down the track. i still have and will keep my 888 sp5/corsa spec. nothing like 3rd gear power wheelies!

4. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Just don't do them on the 405 near the Getty Ctr. :D

I am playing the song in my head "I wish I was a baller, I wish I was taller" ;) :D

5. ferraripete

i used to wish i was shorter...i always admired how well the shorter guys crashed. us tall guys had bigger appendages flailing around. something always seemed to get broken!

also, i had to stop dreaming of being an f1 driver by eight grade. i went into a major decline!

pcb

6. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I'm going to forward this message to my 2 Duc buddies whose 5'6", they are going to hate you. :D

7. ferraripete

a guy i had raced w/ during my wera amature year named mike cicotto was about 5-7. he could get off at ungodly speeds and get up for the next race. he crashed at road atlanta in turn 1 and tumbled for days and seemed unphased. later that weekend (gnf) i crashed in turn 6 and can remember thinking i had broken every bone in my body. i got a ride in the ambulance and mike got on another bike! unfair.

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Jimmy, come on. Stop spreading BS. I hope that you don't reall ybelieve what you just posted. The Testastretta IS a desmoquattro engine (4 valve) and the 998 and 996 rev to 10,400 rpm while the 748 revs to 11,400 rpm.

The Testastretta engine is a great deal more advanced than the 996 but stock to sotck it's no big deal, other than the pull of the Testa. It's when you start to tweak the engines that the Testa really shines. Anyways, LA, one of the best parts about Ducatis is that they're all the same other than the dispalcement. A 748 and 996 will use the same frame and body and weigh the same, for example. So you would fit the same on a 748 as a 996.

By the way, if you really want a Ducati, PM me. One of my businesses is a Ducati shop.

9. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    BMW - 472HP (377.9 RWHP + 20% Powerloss on Tranny)
    DUCATI - 119~130HP (Average 124 RWHP on Dyno during 5 different runs)
    FERRARI - 400HP (Don't know if Tubi adds any HP, will put in on Dyno soon)

:)

10. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I love my R1. Personally, I wouldn't trade for the duc.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Sherpa thank you for the info! I actually almost bought a 2002 new yellow 748 at Ducati of Seattle last January (2003), but we are apart a bit on the price, and I did not know at the time how to get it down to Cali.

I am going to try to find a 998/996/748 close to me in Los Angeles (when I return in May) and will sit on it, and see how I feel. I would love to pick one up from you. PM has been sent. :)

Maybe you can throw a cyclocross in the deal LMAO

JIMMY--your 5'6" buddies that have ducatis, if they are lowered, can you ask them how it handles compared to your stock bike?

12. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Spreading BS? Why are you using such hard words? I said I'm not a tech and just providing the info I know.

996 Max its Power @ 8500 RPM & 748 Max @ 1000RPM (not its Rev).

To proove I'm right about the RPM. Here is page 0*11 in the Ducati Manual:

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Sorry Jimmy, I didn't mean to be so harsh. You said "max@8500", etc. which I thought you were saying max rpms, which as you know is wrong. Now I know that you mean max power.

My apologies. Hugs and kisses and all that stuff.

14. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Hey, it's all good man. It's my falut, I should have stated more clearly in the first place. :)

15. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

I just ask them. The handling does not make much difference, however, since the bike is lower now, sometimes is very hard to set the kick-stand while bike is parked at some angle/slope.

Hope this helps.

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Ok thanks. How many inches did they lower, and what did they use, and would they recommend it to other people?

17. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    They lowered at least 1.5 inches, if not, more.

It won't make a difference while riding on the street, however, I would think the handling would matter if you want to chase those miller-seconds on the track.

One of the guy has a Mono, and the other dude has a Biposto. I don't know if the Bip can still take a 160lb+ passenger.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Got it. I am not a track junkie, so no biggie. Hey man I am getting a 748 instead of the new R1, that should tell you its more about buying it becuase its been a dream for a while, obviously not the fastest thing on the block, but that is ok by me. :)

As far as passengers, the less ho's I have to deal with the better. I like to ride solo.

Now I gotta find a nice bike. SIgh more yellow/red debate in my head.

19. ferraripete

the 748 is a killer looking machine. to my mind the 748,916,996,998 are the sexyest looking machines ever produced. there are alot of us that feel the 749,999 is a huge style step backward. many had lookied to ducati to make changes as the design had been unchanged since 94. can you believe it...10 yrs?! how do you improve the design of the 748? short answer...you don't!

as far as it not being the fastest bike on the road ryan, you may not win the point and shoot battle against the liter guys but you will be more than able to keep pace in the twisties. i was talking to an ex racer friend of mine today and we marvel at all the squids that are so convinced they need a liter bike. i have raced for years and would prefer to race middleweights!
    besides, few people can really get all of a 748.

you will love your 748 and when you are ready to make your mods, let me know and i will be happy to help.

send me some pics when you get her!

pcb

20. ferraripete

superlight yellow!

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Peter,

You are correct as that is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made. When the first R6/R1 came out, you could see they copied the two headlight design of the 748/996 machines. I was waiting for the 749/999 to buy a new ducati, but was SIGNIFICANTLY saddened with the design, and decided to buy the 748/998. I came to riding one out of Ducati of seattle last year in January. It was a new 2002 yellow. However we were a bit apart on the deal, and I just did not end up getting it, and I regret it to this day.

You are correct that people really don't need a liter bike. Heck the 750 gixxers I currently ride, I am very happy with both of them. I was just thinking of moving up to the R1, and thus placed a deposit.

But after a few months of thinking, I got my head back in the right place and will be picking up a 748 later this year as that is the bike I really want. Yeah it can definitely handle its own on the twisties, and will be sufficient enough for my riding pleasure. :)

I will post pics everywhere when I get her. See I am a yellow person, no doubt. I would get a yellow ferrari and any other exotic in yellow. I was going to get the yellow mini (but it has too much white mixed in and the color looks like crap), however when I see Jimmy's solid shiny red996 that just takes my breath away.

Yellow or red, mine will be full solid, and I know I will like it when I get it. And when I do get it, you are welcome to take a ride in it and break it in :D