Pictures of US 458's lowered on STOCK springs | FerrariChat

Pictures of US 458's lowered on STOCK springs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RossoDiamante, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    There are obviously aftermarket springs available to lower 458's. But I understand that there is a good bit of lowering that can be done on the stock springs. If done, I assume that the car would have to be realigned just as if the springs were replaced? Does the ride height adjustment (given no change in the actual springs) have any effect on the overall handling or performance of the suspension? I think someone told me that there is about 10mm (or about 1/2") of adjustability. Does that sound right?

Has anyone done this procedure and have some pictures of what the car ends up looking like. Would prefer pictures with stock wheels if possible.

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #2 458trofeo, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    MacDemarco, JAhmed and tres55 like this.
  3. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Looks great, any issues with scraping the front/rear?

I hear its easy to scrape the rear diffuser sans lowering.

4. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Absolutely! The car is so low I can only get away with it because I live in LA and
    the roads are better than in most other places. Basicly I am totally forgoing practicality
    for the sake of vanity but I would not have it any other way :)

5. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    Just talked to my mechanic as I was thinking about lowering my Speciale.
    He said I should bear in mind that the car will be lower by 2-3 cm (about an Inch) when going 300 kph just by the downforce it produces. As it will not improve handling I skipped it - I don't want to go flying over a small bump at those speeds...

MacDemarco and docf like this.
  6. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    That's an impressive specification. My basic lack of understanding suspension mechanics is going to show through, but assuming a stock setup, as this care gets 2-3 cm lower as a result of downforce we can assume that none of the fixed mounting points is changing dynamically so does that mean that the car is now just riding on a suspension with the springs compressed relative to their rest position by 2-3 cm? Presumably the car is designed to "work" well at said 300 kph speed implying that springs that are compressed 2-3 cm relative to their rest position are still within the manufacturer's operating range? By inference then, a drop of 10-20mm should result in little to no practical change in the characteristic handling of the car?

7. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Is there a picture that shows what effect lowering on stock springs has in terms of threads on the coilovers? And how does that increase stress on the coilovers?

8. bigblock737

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.

The center of gravity should be lower, but I guess the normal driver will not be able to make out the difference. AFAIK the spring-preload will not change at a coilover-suspension as the whole car will just be moved up or down while the range of spring will remain the same. Contrary to that are shortened springs, which will also bring the car down. The range is decreased here so they have to stiffer or more progressive.

9. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #9 Randyslovis, Jul 12, 2014
    I have lowered my previous 430 & Italia, and now 458 spider using factory suspension. Obviously ground clearance is reduced, but the amount of roll taken out of the car is amazing. I have a Delrin/kevlar skid plate which protects the car from scraping.
    One important fact is that every car coming off the line may not have the correct ride height. My spider was measured by my dealer prior to lowering (as a baseline and for balancing the drop) and it was in fact 20mm higher than the factory recommended ride height spec! It is not unusual for cars to be factory incorrect and some lowering might be needed just to make correct, not necessarily lowered. We went down 40 mm from delivery height for a "true" reduction of about 20mm. The ride is absolutely better, not worse. The Ferrari awarded technician that did it explains it by the tie rods now being at a true horizontal position allowing suspension to spend most of its time in its sweet spot. The higher factory setting (US ride height) changes that relationship.
    Below is picture of car lowered to show what is possible without changing from factory alignment either. I have had no abnormal tire wear as a result.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rw99, Baitschev and docf like this.
  10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Randy, does the car have a lift as well?

SV

11. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011

Looks so sweet. I want to do this to my 458. I have factory lift. Can I still lower?

12. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Only 15mm max lowering w/factory lift on stock prongs

13. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    very nice stance randy!! :)

14. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    That looks about perfect to me. Not too low, but definitely a cleaner side profile. The lack of any changes to ride quality is also an extremely positive attribute. I guess I don't see a need for aftermarket springs if I can get this with the stock setup.

Car can be lowered more if it doesn't have the factory lift than if it does?

15. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #15 Randyslovis, Jul 12, 2014
    Thank you for the compliments.
    The lifter does decrease how much you can lower it. This has already been stated above. That being said, the maximum drop any individual car will get from where it is will depend on the factory setting your particular car has. If as stated above it is 15mm maximum reduction and you are at a correct factory height to start with, you will get some significant lowering. I am down 20mm and 5mm less is only marginally different visually. I have seen some lifter equipped cars lowered at my dealership and they look much better to my eye.
    I have included another photo showing the "air space" present above my tire so you can get an idea of what 20mm below true factory spec is.
    Best

16. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #16 458trofeo, Jul 12, 2014
    Looks good and still good clearance!

Below is mine:
    at stock height
    lowered at the max on stock springs
    lowered even more with novitec springs

MacDemarco likes this.
  17. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Great looking car. I remember seeing your car on another thread about lowering. Mine is bad enough with going over anything more than chewing gum. I can only imagine what yours is like!
    Best

18. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Don't ask! ;)

19. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Is European "true factory spec" different than the US "true factory spec"?

Should the request for my dealer to put the car at "20mm below factory spec (US car)" be unambiguous enough to get your setup?

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Of course it will improve handling.

The lower you are the lower the center of gravity.

The lower you are the more dramatic the pressure differences are between what's under the car and above it which translates to even more downforce.

Both will help you stick to the ground and pull off higher G turns.

Bumps? well street racing is for amateur hour :)

21. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1
    I was driving in a canyon road with another stock height 458 and it was eating dust :)

22. bigblock737

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.

Most probably it was due to the 100 octane fuel ;) :) :D

23. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I have heard different answers to euro vs US so I will simply chalk up to Ferrari assembly line differences. I was "told" Euro slightly lower just as on Porsche, but so many test cars look just like US ones to me.
    Sent PM on lowering info.
    Best

24. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Ausgezeicnhet! :D

25. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Sorry to bump up the old thread, but it came upon through my search ...

Do I understand it correctly that a 15 with front lift can only be lowered 15mm at the front on the factory setup?

And would that mean that to keep the balance I would only lower the rear 15mm at the rear?

If so it seems a little arbitrary since the ride height on most cars isn't a constant.
    Would the better approach be to lower it as much as possible up from and then lower the rear to match the fender gap?
    Or perhaps someone has the optimum lowest ride height settings on a 458 spider with front lift.

Thanks.