Pierre Bardinon collection | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Pierre Bardinon collection

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by F328GTS/GTB, Aug 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    French (And I hear German too) governments are trying their best to keep racing from happening in private tracks, and want clubs etc to race on government owned tracks (like Magny Cours and Circuit Bugatti) that need money, etc.

I remember reading too that Patrick Bardinon was making Mas Du Clos into an offroad track, to keep it alive. I may have jumbled up my French when reading and hope what I read means he's building an off road track, and not breaking up the actual one to build it.

2. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson
    Reading about the current legislative difficulties of Mas du Clos makes me glad I got to drive it in the summer of 2009. It's wonderfully challenging little circuit, in a beautiful green setting! There's a brat atmosphere to the place!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZ3WMyoc8s]Circuit d'Auvergne 2009, Mas du Clos Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

3. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Thanks for the visual.

4. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson
    edited the quote as the "brat" my spellchecker put in there is a very wrong word in the context, as the atmosphere around Mas du Clos is the absolute opposite of "brat". A very warm, quiet, luxurious yet restrained venue. Quiet and serene, yet a very serious little circuit. Definitely a favourite, I really hope they can reopen it somehow!

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There is no one around.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Les technocrates une fois de plus a la source du probleme.

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Bien vrai. Ces gens ne comprennent rien et font plus de mal que de bien dans tout ce qu'ils touchent.

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #158 GIOTTO, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #159 Ed Niles, Apr 1, 2014
  10. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #160 Aardy, Apr 1, 2014
  11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Only even serial numbers for Dino's, it's in the right range for '71 though.
    #01576 was rosso bordeaux from France?

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you for that Pierre,

A very nice account explaining how it all started and evolved and a very rare exception of photos inside the collection. My visit there in 1998 to shoot 312P 0870 and have lunch with him and his family was truly a very special occasion I will not forget.

Best regards,

MS

13. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Thank you for sharing your photos Ed. I posted them in the 246 sub-forum. Any more?

14. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #165 GIOTTO, Apr 2, 2014
    Thanks for posting. Some memorabilia from the Club Dino France.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

bernardo66 likes this.
  15. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Pics are great.

Gonna have to start studying French.

Have always wanted to see more of this place.

Have to wonder if there is a better place to have a great car collection.

16. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Pierre, Did you see my obit in the Prancing Horse #185 last year?

CQ

17. Pierre Coquet

Pierre Coquet Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    F - 21340 Baubigny
    Full Name:
    Pierre Coquet
    Hello Chuck,
    Jess Pourret told me about your obit but I had not the opportunity to read it.
    Those were ''the old good days'' and we are very Lucky to live them as actors.
    Warmest regards.

18. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Pierre, I'll try and post here ASAP.

C

19. Pierre Coquet

Pierre Coquet Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    F - 21340 Baubigny
    Full Name:
    Pierre Coquet
    #170 Pierre Coquet, Apr 3, 2014
    Hi Chuck,
    Nobody of us forget the wonderful painting you make for the 25° anniversary of the Club Ferrari France held le Mas du Clos !
    Best regards
    Pierre
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Very beautiful painting!

:)

21. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Thanks. The print hangs in my studio. I'll post the obit later.

C

22. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Here is the copy of the obit. It was somewhat butchered by the FCA.

Pierre BARDINON 1931 – 2012

By Chuck Queener

The great automotive historian Karl Ludvigsen probably said it best in his introduction to At Speed by Jesse Alexander published in 1972.

“Near the village of Aubusson in central France, where magnificent tapestries have been woven since the 16th century, a Parisian businessman maintains a venerable and expansive château for his weekend pleasure. It is much like other chateaux of its time,
    with outbuildings and the courtyards set in green and rolling country that evoke memories of an agrarian, even feudal, age when the estate, Mas du Clos, was a power center in that land.

Around this château there have been changes — amazing changes. When I walked out beyond the former stables, past a special museum housing an unsurpassed collection of Ferrari cars, I saw spread before me down a hillside and expanding into the middle distance a special road, immaculately paved in black asphalt, imitating the twists and dips of a Transalpine route but going nowhere, returning to its point of departure and after completing a two-mile journey, chasing its tail like a demented cobra.

As we drove around this endless road with our mutual friend, Jean Bernardet, I asked Pierre Bardinon why he had built a magnificent personal highway on his land. “Like many men,” he replied, “I work during the week at my profession and spend my money on my sport. For some it is tennis, for others polo, perhaps, or yachting. My sport is motor racing. Therefore it was logical that I should build this track to practice my sport, just as others might build tennis courts or a swimming pool. Each year I drive seriously here for 40 or 50 hours.”

Bardinon’s vision, so simply expressed, was the sand box we all dreamed of. He began planning the circuit on the 375-acre estate behind the château in the early 1960’s and construction was completed in 1966. He had been collecting racing Bugattis, buying his first Type 35B in 1948. His interest was always the racing car: Delahaye, Talbot, etc. One of his favorites was the ex-Ecurie Ecosse D-Type Jaguar that had won Le Mans in 1957. Jimmy Clark came to Mas du Clos in 1967 and driving that D-Type was a highlight of his visit. Over the years nearly every top racing driver has had the pleasure of Pierre and Yanne’s hospitality. Many racing teams had the opportunity to use the circuit but racing has evolved and Mas du Clos is no longer considered safe, it’s future, uncertain.

The Ferrari connection began in 1963 when Pierre bought 250GT short-wheelbase berlinetta. He loved the sound of the V12 and in 1965 he bought a 250LM. The collection began to take a more concentrated direction when he started trading various cars for Ferraris. Being French he was particularly interested in Le Mans winners and if I’m not mistaken he managed to get them all except the 1965 winning 250LM. He told me he had an agreement with Mr. Ferrari that the factory would provide Mas du Clos with one of the previous year’s F1 or sports cars. (This is just one example of the high regard Maranello had for this collection.) He had one requirement, all the Ferraris had to be ex-Scuderia examples.

Over the years the collection grew and Pierre turned chicken sheds into a beautiful multi-floored stone museum. He had an extensive library and Ferrari artifacts to complement the cars. He loved models and his collection in his Paris apartment was staggering — all hand-built by the great Michele Conti.

At one time he had two GTOs and with a bit of arm-twisting, insisted that his good friend, Jess Pourret, should have one, 3607GT.

His wine cellar was extraordinary: Haut Brion, Château Margaux, Petrus, Lafite. One evening after dinner Pierre invited us to try some special selections in the cave and rather than bore us with the vintages he set them on the long wooden table, and said, “Here is a 312, a 412 and a 712.” We literally stumbled our way back to our rooms, one of us on hands and knees. Pas moi.

Over the years I had the pleasure to visit in a group with Club Ferrari France and as an individual. I also had the privilege of designing five Mas du Clos event posters and was honored to have been selected a member of Association Collection Mas du Clos.

Pierre led a life that was filled with what he cherished. He was a true visionary, and enthusiast ahead of his time. More importantly he was generous with his passion, allowing his pleasures to be shared.

F40org likes this.
  23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Enjoyed reading that, really nicely written. Thanks for posting it here.

24. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    +1.
    Amazing guy. Loved reading about his life and collection.