Pilot program: Red Light Cameras in NJ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pilot program: Red Light Cameras in NJ

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ClydeM, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mik3ymomo

Mik3ymomo Karting

Apr 1, 2009
    Mount Laurel NJ

Its true it does reduce major injuries from the type of "high probability injury" type of accidents such as Tbones and Head on collisions but Federal studies have shown it actually increases other types of accidents. Like the Grandmother who slams on their brakes when it turns yellow and everyone else piles into her from behind. Those accidents actually increase by a huge margin but are dismissed because they are much less life threatening.
    Just what we need more accidents that will actually increase insurance costs and traffic jams. There has already been a major problem in some state where the engineers (Contractor) set the timing wrong between the yellow and red lights at and everyone was getting tickets that were in the intersection when they should have had time to get through.
    Once again a perfect example on how they can royaly screw the public.
    I wish we were back in the old days when the People still told the Gov. what to do.

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There are a couple of problems with some older towns/cities doing this.
    1. Before a light can have the camera system installed, it has to be brought up to NJDOT standards. Not cheap!
    2. A Police Officer must review the image and issue a citation. It's not like NYC where it's automatic. Easy to fight in court. (Gee Officer, I didn't run the light. I stalled in the intersection after going through the green. :))

Anyway, once these things start to be used, the traffic courts will be overloaded with people fighting the tickets. The court costs eat up most of the revenue from the tickets.