Pioneer 3300NEX installation... | FerrariChat

Pioneer 3300NEX installation...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Corsair66, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've been absolutely at my wit's end with the terrible OEM Becker unit. Hard to see, nonintuitive to use, poor Bluetooth reception, lack of nav, etc. - it had to go. So, my new radio should be arriving today. I went with the Pioneer 3300NEX, mostly for its CarPlay functionality which should obviate any need for a separate GPS antenna, as I'll run navigation off my iPhone.

Anyway... :cool:

I have my Becker removal keys, antenna adaptor, and wiring harness adaptor ready to go - and I know about swapping the red and yellow wires. Is there anything else I should bear in mind before starting the mini-project?

Incidentally, I'm not changing out any of the speakers or the Hifi amp. I never play music in the car, so none of that matters to me at all. I rarely play the radio and, when I do, it's almost always NPR or BBC. The upgrade is all about usability coupled with modern Bluetooth and nav.

2. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Note: not all Becker removal keys are the same; get the right ones!

Naturally, I have the incorrect keys and am now awaiting delivery of the proper ones. Oh, well. :rolleyes:

I've been reading radio upgrade threads and realized that I needed to add the blue/white wire to my harness adaptor, so that's done.

Another question: how does the OEM Bluetooth microphone connect to the Becker radio and will I be able to use it with the new unit? The Pioneer came with its own mic, but installing it in place of the original unit will be a PITA and preferably avoided. Any ideas...?

3. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't help you with any of those question except to say you can use the filing end of a nail clipper to remove the Becker radio. Try and tested, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corsair66 likes this.
  4. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    can you take it to a local stereo shop... they should remove it for you for a small fee.

5. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    At this point, with the right keys ordered, I'll hold off. I've waited this long for a decent radio, another few days probably won't kill me. If I don't update the thread by the middle of next week, you'll know I was wrong... :D

6. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    OK, the proper keys came today and I was able to remove the old radio with a little effort. Boy, it's going to be tight back there. Anyway...

I mated the Pioneer harness to the Metra adaptor (remembering to match red to yellow instead of like-to-like and to use the blue/white wire for amp connection), plugged it in and...the only sound I'm getting is from the left front. No balance or fade adjustment seems to have an effect.

What did I do wrong? o_O

7. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sorry can't help but do you have a part number for the Metra adaptor? Their website doesn't list Ferraris. Cheers

8. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It's the Metra 70-1784. I'm not sure where I read about it originally, but it definitely fits the Becker plugs. If I got the wrong adaptor, please do point me toward the correct one.