Piper? | FerrariChat

Piper?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Teenferrarifan, May 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Over the last 2 years I have read a lot of stuff on here about Piper. But, can someone tell me more about this guy then he had a few P3/4's how did he get them? Why does he have them? What did he do? Ect.
    Erik

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Google David Piper.

A racer in the sixties, he drove Ferraris for many years.

Lost part of his leg filming the movie LeMans with Steve McQueen, still active today in vintage racing IIRC.

Read some history man! It's great!

He got permission from Enzo to make one more P4, #0900, to replace one he sold.

His P4s were British Racing Green, when active. Easily spotted.

See ya! HTH

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  4. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    See my post on the P4 poll for some of it.

He bought a Porsche 917 in 1969 (having raced the first car for the Porsche factory) because Ferrari didn't have their 512S ready until 1970 and he needed a competitive car to replace his Ferrari 412P c/n 0854 and Lola T70/3B. He competed at Le Mans in 1970 and then a couple of days later had the crash while filming for the McQueen movie which ended his proffessional career.

He made a comeback in historic racing a few years later, bought back his 365P2/3 Ferrari to go with the 275LM c/n 8165, and has added more cars to his collection over the years. At the Goodwood Revival historic race meeting last year he had something like six cars entered, driven by himself and other ex-racers from the 1960s and by skilled experienced amateur drivers who are friends of his.

PWM

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks he sounds like a very interesting person.
    Erik

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    A gentleman racer who has been racing all over the world since mid 1950's. Even visited my hometown (Helsinki) as early as in May 1958 (with a Lotus). He may be the first person on the scene to be able to celebrate a half century spent on the racing track!!?

Best wishes, Kare