Pironi: The Champion that never was. | FerrariChat

Pironi: The Champion that never was.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ferrari27, Mar 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Before everyone jumps on me, the thread title is not mine but the title of a book by David Sedgwick. I had not heard about this publication until I found it in a local bookstore. That is probably the result of gathering my book information from Ferrari-Chat rather than from other sources! It is, I believe, available only in paperback and, love him or hate him, everyone must accept that Didier Pironi is a significant part of Ferrari F1 history. I suspect, based on the title of the chapter that covers Imola in 1982, that the book is very one-sided in favour of Pironi but...

...the guy won Le Mans, was successful in the lower formulae against some serious opposition, was a Ferrari team driver and won a total of three GP (two of which were for Ferrari). There are many "greater" drivers with a much poorer palmares than this. I put the book down but will probably go back for it. It is clearly not going to be a classic, must-have, book for all Ferrari book collectors but has anyone bought it already, or will admit to buying it aleady, and if so, what is it like?

This thread was not started with the intention of re-igniting any 1982 fires. It is just me wanting to know what others think of a book that could, although controversial, also be very insightful.

Robert

2. vitajojo38

vitajojo38 Karting

Oct 17, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Joël
    In 82, Didier Pironi was leading the championship before his accident.

82 was a sad year for Ferrari with Gilles Villeneuve dead and Didier Pironi accident

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I have it and have read it. I thought it was most interesting. The author makes no secret that he was a fan of Pironi and certainly Imola '82 is told from a different point of view. Taking that into account, there is a great deal in the book that was new to me and I would certainly recommend it to anyone with an interest in its subject, especially given it is not very expensive. It is not a truly great biography in the way that I think Gerald Donaldson's Villeneuve biography is but in many ways Pironi's story is quite extraordinary and to my mind this book is well worth the time taken to read it.

Jonathan

4. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Jonathan. Thank you for your balanced views on this book. I am a fan of the whole generation of French drivers that included Didier Pironi and will buy the book tomorrow. I really do not know why I put it back last week! He is an important part of Ferrari history, and the story of F1 in the early '80s. Perhaps I will re-read the Gerald Donaldson book first though.

Robert

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Gilles is my biggest hero, i trully believe he was teh greates driver that ever lived, this being said, i think Didier was very, very good, had it not been fait i believe he could have been as great as Alain Prost and Nelson Piquet, he was very fast, confident, hard worker, had every qualitie needed to win multiple championships....true he was slower than Gilles, that he didn't heev the same ability behind the whee...but then, nobody else did!..Pironi was at the time regarded by many as the second best.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Pironi was a very competent driver - when in the right car. in 82 - that should have produced a Ferrari F-1 champion. The Gilles Didier fight at Imola is a sad chapter with fault on both sides. Didier clearly felt that Ferrari was stacked on Villeneuve's side, and he worked hard to swing the team to him... and that Marco Piccini's family and Pironi's did business together helped. Pironi also was the lead driver in that year in the drivers walk out at SA gp, and all the legal fuss over super licenses & being bonded to one team. Villeneuve on the other hand just wanted to drive and was less cunning and ruthless out of the car. Gilles Villeneuve was perhaps the very last " gentleman driver" who really raced for the love of it - and money and fame came 2nd & 3rd.... if at all. Pironi was more in the Prost mold, thinking guy, and always seeking an advantage. he had the benefit of learning from Ken Tyrrell and Jackie Stewart and support from Elf, and Francois Guitier.... the accident at Hockenheim was shocking - and pretty much not needed as he was fastest that day... but he was seeking to ensure that he was stamping his authority as the lead French driver of the day... Prost quickly coming from nowhere... Had they not held the Swiss Gp, there was a good chance that he could have still won the championship... but it was a stretch. if he had been able to recover & Ferrari had maintained pace - and not sat out the Dutch GP, he could have won the title .. 82 was a year that nobody wanted to win.

7. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Can you post a picture of the front cover of the book pls?

8. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
  9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I have seen an interview with Pironi some time after the accident where he said that he 'wasn't going that fast, just faster than anyone else' and that he needed to be out because it might have rained for the race. If there is blame to be apportioned for the Hockenheim accident then you might very well say that Prost really should not have been trundling around so slowly for no reason. But really it was just one of those things.

Maybe you mean the Belgian GP as Pironi won the Dutch GP?

Well yes he would have won if there had been no Swiss GP because Rosberg took 9 points for the win there and won the championship by a lot less than that but there are many ifs you can use to come up with any result you want in any sport.

Jonathan

10. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Indeed, and I think the first time I heard the expression "if may aunt had balls she would be my uncle" it was from Rosberg, talking about the 1982 season!

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    You are right... I was getting my years confused... when Lauda had his accident - they skipped Zandvoort... I seem to remember that Prost was on his slow down lap, when Pironi hit him..?

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Excellent post, very very correct. There has been much unfair judgment of him by the British press in particular. I will post my Didier memories later, am on deadline now.

13. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    Do not underestimate the influence of Marco Piccinini on Enzo Ferrari when it comes to politics.

"In general, i always respect people, especially if they are in authority. But they have to learn the respect and i don't like two faced people, nice
    in front of you and the contrary when their back is turned."
    Patrick Tambay words about Piccinini (27 Patrick Tambay The Ferrari years book, Evro Publishing).

Pironi was not the team fastest driver. He had to find another way to win. That's it.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I hadn't realized that he was Jose Dolhem's half-brother (and, confusingly, first cousin as well). Dolhem finished 9th at Le Mans in 1973 in a Charles Pozzi-entered Ferrari Daytona, and raced in the 1974 U.S. Grand Prix for Surtees, where his car was withdrawn following the fatal accident to teammate Helmuth Koinigg. Dolhem died in a plane crash, and he and Pironi are buried in the same plot.

15. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    The 82 Ferrari drivers were both heroes of mine, although there was nobody like Gilles at the limit. And I've continued to read things about them both over the years. One thing I came across recently was Dr Sid Watkins book Life at the Limit (1996) which had some date that was developed regarding heart rates of the two drivers. I recall thinking "why would any driver allow for that comparison?". Clearly GV seemed less stressed than DP, whether as a result of physical size or attitude is not clear, but it always seemed that if the data were known to both drivers it might have caused DP some concern, which he perhaps compensated for in other ways. Speculation of course. I respect them both.