Pista Allocation | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Pista Allocation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by swordsman, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    In Oz
    We were told in 2016 by dealer to get allocation for 488 speciale you had to own a 488gtb
    Purchased the 488gtb and placed order and deposit on speciale .
    So no surprises and hidden agendas when PISTA was released
    Been well managed in Oz imho

Shadowfax, Afonsolaw and Shack like this.
  2. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    488 grb
    Sensational
    You will not be disappointed

Bhh and Shadowfax like this.
  3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Pista production will run from later this year until the end of the 488 cycle. Any reference to "batches" or rounds is language coming from dealer side in their efforts to build demand/suspense for the car.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

This is correct. If you have a reasonable buying relationship with your dealer (for example, if you bought a 488) you should get a Pista. That could be impacted by where you live, etc,, but it should work out for you. You just need to be patient and stay in touch with your dealer.

Bhh and Shadowfax like this.
  5. rampar

rampar Rookie

Nov 1, 2008
    Phx, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ramin Mahmoodi
    I think this would be interesting, I'm actually looking to get a Lusso (need a 4 seater Ferrari and the Cali won't do!!!)...would anyone want to work out a deal where they buy and then sell it to me for a discount?!

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    Some clients have already been guaranteed allocations and approved by ferrari, but there will be additional allocations above and beyond that number. That is referred to as 'second round', this is not a technical term, it is just a description that is easy to understand. And "end of cycle" is defined by ferrari. They have not defined it yet but they will and in such a way that supply is less than demand. No way will they give an allocation to every single client that wants one.

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is also worth remembering. This is the sales criteria the factory defined to dealers at the Maranello reveal. The Lusso deal is a Ferrari of North America creation. Of course, Ferrari of North America can set their own pricing and criteria.

of2worlds and Afonsolaw like this.
  8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Well its going to be interesting to see what unfolds and when. As I am trying to get my allocation in Europe (already purchased the 488GTB there). Delivery between March - August is important due to weather considerations. So any deliveries mid to late 2019 means the car cant be used until early to mid 2020. If delivery is mid 2020 then one realistically might only use the car in 2021!!.

9. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad
    Well, was chatting with the salesman that i ordered my pista from, he said all allocations are sold out for the pista before Geneva motor show, the production will be total of 12 months, imo its seems like the pista started to be harder than the speicale to get at least here in the UAE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't think thats exactly right. This is their special series car. It is not an improved GTB. The GTB mission is a wider one that includes more GT driving. The Pista mission is more focused and is for even more enthusiastic driving.

You may be right in terms of value, but I don't think the production increase over the Speciale will be that large in established markets. I think the extra production will go to newer markets. If the rumors are true about Aperta numbers then that is possible to have a big change, but those are just rumors. We don't really know.

@Shack , your concerns are reasonable but consider the roll out of every model (to me at least) seems pretty slow and thus, even though there might be some 2020 (or 21?) 488 successor models technically available, how available will they really be? I think you will be pretty safe with the 488 Pista but thats just my opinion.

To everyone, I will say something controversial and it really is just my opinion and maybe I haven't thought of everything: I think the Pista will hold its value better than the Speciale. Its just a bigger performance jump over the standard model, and its much better looking and its styling is also much more distinguished vs the Speciale. The Speciale is a great car, but I think this Pista is really extra special.

(Maybe I am guilty of being caught up in the hype- but I think the car is fantastic!)

11. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Two things:
    1- Pista production will run until the end of 488 life... this has already been mentioned and is irrefutable, I posted a video of this earlier in this thread. You're correct, not all who want a Pista will get one, but there's plenty to go around and no Lusso games are needed.
    2- Very hard to believe Pista value will beat 458 Speciale. Yes, the performance delta between Pista and 488 will be larger than 458 to 458 Speciale, but that isn't what determines value in the long term.

458 Speciale is "last of breed", meaning there will be no more NA V8 cars from Ferrari, hence the increase in value above MSRP. This is also why gated manual Ferrari cars bring in significantly more money than the identical car with a paddle shift, even though the paddle shift car (with all else being equal) was more expensive upon release. Ferrari will no longer produce manual cars, hence the jump in manual cars.

Rarity is the name of the game... there will be future V8 Turbo Ferrari cars, so expect Pista prices to take a similar percentage trend as a 430 Scud.

Melvok and F2003-GA like this.
  12. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad
    Who cares if the price of pista will drop or not, in the end of the day the pista will leave a smile on ur face no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JagShergill, Bhh, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  13. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Thank you for pointing out the Lusso nonsense, I wouldn't put it on FNA though, it's more of a dealer level game and due to franchise agreements in cases like this, FNA can't reprimand them for it, just acknowledge that it happens.

14. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I hear you and this thought has been going around in my head for a while. Having the 488GTB already maybe sways my decision as it will do the job well on normal roads, mountain passes etc etc. Anyway still waiting on an answer from my dealer but for now 2020 might as well be a lifetime away :)

Caeruleus11, bbr and Shadowfax like this.
  15. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Was told last week by my dealer no Pista allocation as promised to me despite buying the 'required' 488 GTB at the pre price increase level, sold back to dealer at delivery mileage with massive profit to them.....so not very happy, just ordered another GTB at another dealer....Mafia.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree the atmo v10 F1 cars sound better than the new turbo v6 F1 which is mainly due to the dramatic difference in redlines.

In the "which sounds better argument" (Ferrari 458 or 488) we are talking the difference of only 1000 rpms. Clearly both engine's have a different sound and tonality yet both sound equally as good in their own right imho. It comes down to personal preference being a matter of subjectivity.

17. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Same old crap. After my f430 and 458 I was offered a Speciale if I bought a Cali T. I turned it down and bought the GT3RS. 6 months later I was offered the Speciale without the Cali but it was too late. I then got the first allocation for the 488 GTB and then a 488 Spider but got the “lusso story” with the Pista. It’s strangly reminiscent and I’m guessing if enough folks fail to play the game the allocations without strings will start. Granted by that time I agree the 488 replacement will be coming and I’ll likely go that route. The Pista is awesome but it won’t have staying power as the last NA Speciale.

boobernackle, Shadowfax and Shack like this.
  18. swordsman

swordsman Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    LA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm a little surprised to see that my initial discussion has grown and is now on its 14th page, this seems to be a hot topic for debate but to me it's just too much speculation. I'm sure Pista will be a great car as seen with the every evolution of Ferrari models, and I'm pretty sure my dealer will eventually come to their senses and get me an allocation without pressuring me to get something else first like they've always come through for me in the past 10 years. But for now I'm just having so much fun with my 812 it's such an awesome machine and also unbelievably fun to drive! It's miles above the 488 Spider and 458 Speciale I had before, Ferrari is making great strides and amazing advancement with each new generation.

19. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Chapter closed...the end!
    Same here!!!

JagShergill likes this.
  20. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That’s outrageous. How does the dealer look you in the eye and explain this change of position, especially if your purchase of the GTB was required to get you the allocation? Some game playing going on here it would appear. UK dealers have known who their approved customers are for about a month now so something doesn’t sound right.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F2003-GA and of2worlds like this.
  21. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    They simply had far fewer allocations than expected, and as there were a number of significantly higher profile customers wanting an allocation those a bit further down the line were bumped....

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Hang in there. I’m pretty confident they’ll get you a car. Not everyone will get one but much of this is pre-sale posturing.

F2003-GA likes this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Basically due to their different working principles.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Of course I agree, but I have to point out, while you are enjoying your 488, all of a sudden 2020 will be here. It's not as far away as you think. Also I think it depends on what job the car is doing on the road. If its simply providing transport, then any car will do that job. If its entertaining you, I suspect the Pista will be quite a bit above the GTB.

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  25. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I do know the Pista is in very high demand! If I had that kind of money to play with I would buy a Luso just to get the Pista. That thing is hot! To me it's the hottest car out right now!

Shadowfax likes this.