Pista Allocation | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Pista Allocation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by swordsman, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    3500 cars is more than 1/3. Here is some real data: http://corporate.ferrari.com/en/2017-another-record-year-0

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    With this said they may create additional allocations on the down low if the demand is there. Why not?

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So 3500 regular pastas and 1000 apertas/lightweights wld make sense.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

4. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    I picked up my lusso and specking the pista this week. I’m sure the lusso losses will be offset by pista gains (+/-$25k). So I’ll drive two cars for minimal losses or a straight wash. Sure, I can wait to hopefully get a pista allocation down the line without the lusso but by then the pista will be ‘old’ news and there will be 5 of them at the monthly car show. Time is of the essence for me. Also, dealer offered me an 812 within 12 months. Allocations on that car seem tight. I’m teeing up the 812 to replace the pista.

Shack, uhn2000 and of2worlds like this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

So, you're planning on flipping the Pista soon after getting it?

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You sound surprised ! For many buyers its just a game of top trumps - driving is irrelevant since 'Time is of the essence for me'

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Looks like flipping the Lusso first, then the Pista in an attempt to break even then the 812 for one can possibly assume the VS or Aperta? Everyone does it differently and "keeper" is not necessarily in everyone's vocabulary. Go through a lot of cars very quickly and then pause a little on the LEs. Rinse and repeat. Some dealers discourage this on certain models but many love the constant sales and supply of low mileage used inventory for greater markup and a chance to double or even triple down on the same car in the first 1-1.5 years. And then there are those hopeful owners to be that just love the car and are turned away at a chance on the first one...

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Not sure how he knows that. I doubt very much Ferrari told him and the test drivers won’t know. More likely a guess based on what he knows about production length. And even then, does that include Aperta? My dealer has less allocation than Speciale currently and has been quite open about the ‘restricted volumes’ message coming from the factory. They never said that about Speciale. Georg Kacher also said all cars were sold (this he will have been told but is this accurate either?) so existing dealer allocations would be final if this were true. If other dealers report the same as mine then final production will be less than Speciale.

GTRNOWR8 likes this.
  9. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad
    Same here, dealer said that they received less allocation for the 488 Pista compare to the 458 Speciale.

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    However Ferrari has been targeting some markets for expansion for a while, so less allocations in established markets do not necessarily mean a lower global production.

Technically I do not believe all cars are sold, but what is likely is that the total expected production has been spread between all dealers and all dealers have reported they have more demands than allocations. I do not think all sales are finalised though, so some people on 'waiting lists' could get cars.

11. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad
    Only time will tell my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Kacher has is a veteran journalist who has been close to Ferrari for over 30 years, and has had many a scoop (from getting the first F40 drive on Fiorano with the Porsche 959 back in 1988 to the SUV scoop last year). Unlikely to be just guessing without some proper basis. He also confirms the spider for 2019 - again not likely to be guesswork journalism.

How many Pistas your dealer gets relative to the Speciale may not be a good guide to overall production. The factory allocation criteria have changed (for example, if your dealer had had a lot of flippers on 488/speciale etc, Ferrari might allocate fewer Pistas). Then there are newer markets taking more volume etc.

So unless you have better information, not clear why Kacher's number is questionable.

As for the "all cars sold", that's the standard marketing statement from Ferrari where demand far exceeds expected supply. We all heard the same with 812 and the 70th anniversary cars.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #413 boobernackle, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    "More demands than allocations" said every dealer in the world.

Turn around and try to sell the same car back to them, they give you the complete opposite statement. Too many car buying noobs on this forum believing entry level marketing hype. Get yourselves together people!

Total production will be more than the stated 3500, as mentioned to you all many times in this thread, Pista production will go on until the end of the 488 cycle. That article is old, even though it was "published" yesterday, the Pista was driven and the factory visit was months ago, as you can see from the camo on the car photos. Ferrari consistently builds more cars than stated, it's true on their "limited edition" cars, and even more so on their none LE cars like the Speciale and Pista.

In Italian, "around 3500" means 3700-4200 units.

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That Lusso's gonna drop by at least 70k dunno where you get the 25k wash from :confused:

Shadowfax and Afonsolaw like this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think people are going to try and dump them as soon as they get their Pista allocation... More supply than demand.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A delivery mile Lusso that is "used" is worth $50K less than sticker. It doesn't matter if you drive it or not. You could buy it and sell it the same day and you'd end up with a massive loss.

Afonsolaw and boobernackle like this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Probably about right unfortunately. Kind of jacked up for such a cool car. Other than an FF not much else appeals to me as a DD.

18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Best dollars per mile I have had in a long time. As a matter of fact I am actually in a bit of a dilemma at my office as I probably need to go back to being driven around as I can't keep up with my schedule driving, parking, etc. I have loved the Lusso for pretty much everything and it's so good at everything! Today I was in the back of an SUV to work and back. Outside of the productivity of 1+ of driving I imagined the V12 singing in my ears.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    This, and on top the Ferrari dealer will make you sign an agreement saying they have right of first refusal. Sell the Pista to another dealer, and that will rub them the wrong way.

Either way a loss for customer cause of Lusso.

F2003-GA and Afonsolaw like this.
  20. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    academic for me since I passed on the gtc4lusso to get pista but they did float the "lease gtc4lusso" for one year and then walk away from it. Discussion didn't get far but not sure what the residual would have to be after one year (ie., what would the lease payments be for that one year).

21. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    those poor saps that bought the 70th Anniversery cars really don;t know what they are in for resale wise - massive hits...

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Kacher has been close to many manufacturers and can get pretty much where he wants. Ferrari tells no-one about production though. It is a closely guarded secret and very difficult to find out. The only reason we have an idea about past models is that manufacturers have to release certain details within the industry and some information is available in some countries about taxed cars etc. People with more time than me can piece the jigsaw together and get to a number that is 90% accurate. Not a chance Ferrari tells a journalist, any journalist, the production volume of a non-LE forthcoming car, especially one so eagerly anticipated as the Pista. You know how journalists work; they grab a conversation - “how many will be built?” “Can’t say” “I heard less than Speciale, which was 4,000, so 3,500?” “Yes, could be something like that”. Whatever the truth, I do not believe he has been told the correct information directly, especially when other respected journalists have not.

As for my dealer, they are well thought of, the other customers I know are not flippers and the dealership won global aftersales dealer recently. I guess they are in good standing. They also never told me the same about the Speciale. It was my first new purchase and they said from the beginning that I would be ok for one. They also never said the same about the 812 to me, yet they laboured the point repeatedly about the Pista, and I heard exactly the same from my friends who buy Ferraris from other dealers in the UK. Nothing to do with being a “noob buyer” as another poster said. Stupid and lazy post.

The best and most interesting bit, is the idea of reserving allocation for other markets. That could be exactly right, and should perhaps give hope to those without an allocation. Just to temper that though, I do know that in late 2018 comes a big change to the EU emissions test and cars launched before that test will still have to comply, albeit with a derogation (which means a percentage of your production can be registered for a short, set period afterwards). It is causing carnage in the industry behind the scenes, the like of which has probably never been seen before. Exactly how it will be implemented is also, frustratingly, quite unclear. So it could very well be the case that Ferrari just don’t know how long they will be able to produce fhe Pista for unless they have already assumed the very worst case scenario and planned for that.

of2worlds and ajr550 like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It won't be good. It won't even be close to reasonable.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

25. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    You call out other posters on here, yet provide a post almost entirely on personal opinion and pure speculation. Well done.

FYI my professional background is working with one of the largest dealership groups in the USA, this is why I call out dealer games, because they're tactics used across the industry.

of2worlds, F2003-GA and BarryK like this.