Pista Allocation | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Pista Allocation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by swordsman, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Yes, many of your posts are relating to dealership games... Have you tried to change the behavior of your dealership group -:)

uhn2000, boobernackle and JagShergill like this.
  2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

You're correct. There are games. There are simple truth's involved in the process. The dealer system is how it works. They are in the business of maximizing their bottom line. They get the cars. If you want a new one, you need to play their games. If you don't have the stomach or the stamina or the means, or whatever (which, by the way, is very understandable), then don't play the game. Either buy on the secondary market or don't buy at all. The dealer process may be frustrating, but it rather predictable.

boobernackle likes this.
  3. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

4. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    optimistic to see 25k loss only on lusso

5. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    please more info

the only few advertised were around 1M, which makes no sense but that's what I saw

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    One other way dealers might free up allocations is when the Aperta is confirmed, asking some with a coupe allocation to swap into an Aperta. The most likely way coupe allocations will open up perhaps?

7. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    I'm getting an early one but pretty confident people will be putting theirs back on the market quickly to get the next, newest shiny ball. With 3500 units coming online, there will be plenty so hang in there and you can pick up a used one with under 1k miles. Wait a year and it will be at msrp. Have faith in the shiny ball syndrome

8. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Loose $75-$100 on the lusso, make $75-100 on the pista.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  9. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    I’ll keep it for 6-9 months. Variety is the spice of life to me. The 812 may arrive before the pista goes. I don’t mind the overlap.

10. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Loose 75-100 on lusso but make 75+ on pista. If guys are buying gt3rs.2 @ $100 over, it’s a no brainer on the pista.

11. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    To me driving a car for 6 months and 1k miles is not flipping (especially given the loss I’ll take on the lusso). I usually have 2-3 toys in the garage and it’s hard to put on more miles for me.

iloveferrari likes this.
  12. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think a bit too much is made of the 6 month, 1k miles car. Ferrari buyers seem to be too easily painted as “not really interested” or just trinket collectors. No doubt some people do that, but a 6 month car with 1k miles on it could well have had a good summer’s use with the owner not wanting to keep it through winter. No harm in that IMV.

13. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I'm not a "flipper," but it's easy to see why this is permitted, even expected, throughout the Ferrari world. Obviously, no one can control what an owner decides to do with their property. I know the stories regarding how the factory views flipping certain cars, and while there may be some that actually do get passed by on the next special release for flipping too early, I believe the reality is that flipping serves Ferrari's interest as well. We know the practice benefits dealers.......

Why is flipping frowned upon by some, is it jealousy, is it a feeling that somehow flippers have disrespected the brand? Is collecting seen as some higher purpose that should be rewarded by Ferrari by always allocating first to the owner's that will stick them in a garage, to be viewed while sitting in a lounger, glass of wine in hand, driven twice a year just to prove they are actually cars? I certainly don't have the answers, but my point is that as owner's we do what we want with the things we buy, and Ferrari is no exception.

Jim

14. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    How about the taxes?
    One can't deduct the loss on the Lusso but the profit on the pista is taxable correct, considering both get sold the same year, correct?

F2003-GA likes this.
  15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Unless you flip both cars within weeks of delivery you can't accomplish that
    BTW Most dealers have a MSRP buy back arrangement with Pista o_O

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

This is true, particularly on these cars.

18. Akram

Akram Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2009
    Clive, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray Salloum
    Has anyone noticed that the F430 the 458 Italia and the 488 GTB have ugle front bumpers?

Does anyone have any idea why Ferrari can create the best looking cars in the world but falls short on their Base Models?

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It wont be 3500 to the US so I wouldn't be so sure about availability and price. This is more wait and see because no one has definitive info, it is all speculation for now. I think an important factor will be the economy at that time. Some people will be stretching and need to sell and others not so much. If the cars go back tot he dealers they will help hold the prices as they tend to collude. Perhaps that's not the nicest word to use but you know what I mean.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you aren't a dealer I dont think you report on the sale of your car.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good point. If you lose money on a Lusso, you just lose money. If you profit on a Pista, you'll pay short-term capital gains, which in the US at the income level of most owners would be about 40%. So really you'll end up down regardless. And don't forget sales tax on any price differential or potentially both full MSRPs unless you do trades for both with that same dealer.

And this is assuming you don't put many miles on the Pista, you keep it flawless, and you don't own it very long. The Pista is not going to be a $100K flip 6 months down the line. This is not the "last" NA all over again. In 2 years the 488 replacement will wipe the floor with the Pista in every way possible. At least the Speciale is differentiated in a positive way with the NA engine.

boobernackle and F2003-GA like this.
  23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    3,500 is a long way from exclusive.

For sure, it will be a great car to drive. I hope . . .

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  25. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    I do the MT reg deal so sales taxes are not an issue.

I’m not sure about income tax but I never take the ‘profits’ out. I simply let the dealer keep it towards the next one.

of2worlds likes this.