Pista Lowered on Novitec Springs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pista Lowered on Novitec Springs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Looking at the F8's crazy high suv ride height i'd say lowering is an absolute must. It looks a good 15 to 20mm higher than a Pista. Pretty sure even a Bentley doesn't look so disproportionately high...

Such a shame to spend so much money on a car like this to find it needs correction....Pista included.

2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Is it just me or does the car sit too low on Novitec springs? I’m the first to agree that the stock Pista sits too high, and I may lower mine, but Novitec seems to have gone too far in the other direction. A slightly larger gap above the tire is needed to balance out the body gaps in front of and behind the tire.

My opinion anyhow....

SECRET likes this.
  3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    First and foremost, your car looks great!
    Second, I lowered both my 430 and 458 Italia. I therefore never hesitated lowering my 458 spider years ago using the stock springs. At that time I went into a long winded explanation here on Fchat about tie-rod angle from inboard to outboard. In essence, you want that relationship to be level for optimal suspension function. The factory setting - especially in the US - is off. The outboard side is too high vs the inboard side. Lowering the car to the optimal position is possible using just the FACTORY SUPPLIED means to do it. Federal bumper height standards and Ferrari protecting the car from knuckle headed drivers are why you see the factory ride height. As an aside, when my dealer was about to lower the car they always check where they start. My car was over 10mm above the factory setting to begin with! Lastly, suspension lifter equipped cars have less adjustment possible. Not zero, just not as much.
    The work was done by my dealership who I have frequently said is world class. The person that did mine has done more Challenge cars, F40s, F50s, etc. and Classiche certifications to the point of having lost count. He assured me of the following: within certain parameters, the type of suspension used by Ferrari does NOT change the relationship of shock to spring during lowering. Did you ever stop to wonder why the car has threaded, turnable/adjustable ride height adjustment?
    I cannot comment about the Novice spring change as I have never driven a car equipped with it. But after lowering 3 cars with the stock parts I can assure you of the following: less roll, more NOT less supple, improved visual aesthetic, but yes, less ground clearance. My dealer installs special fabricated Kevlar front end skid plates. They are the same as used in their Challenge cars to protect against the curbing on the race track. Work great for driveways and speed bumps on the street!
    Let me be very clear - I only hear great things about Novitec. Just saying I did not go that route and have had no issues over 14 years of driving lowered cars on the factory suspension.
    Best

ppatel1890, SECRET, spyderman and 4 others like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Going by the pics I'm inclined to agree it looks a bit too low and unnatural. I thought Roberts (Apex) looked more in keeping at 15mm. I'm also doubtful the car can be driven without scraping under compression given Robert had reported his scraped under compression on the odd section even at the stock ride height. This may not matter to some but for me there is nothing worse than having a car that scrapes. I'm of the thought that unless the coils are stiffer to counter a lower height then scraping is worsened under compression.

5. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Here are a couple I took this morning. Hope they help!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    FordGTDriver likes this.
  7. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Shadowfax, in person, my car is still quite high compared to HKE46Boy if that is a helpful reference. While I must admit that I love the ultra-low look of his car, my corner balance guy didn't want to go any lower than we presently have it. To answer your question, I haven't yet experienced any adverse consequences regarding scraping or rubbing, however, I think that a lot of guys who would go to the expense of installing the Novitec would want their car to be lower than mine is.

Attached Files:

Baitschev and Shadowfax like this.
  8. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    #33 FordGTDriver, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    ScrappyB, the ride height can still adjusted using the Novitecs. Some guys like it to be really low (which I think looks cool). Others go for a slightly higher ride height, like mine. In other words, its not necessarily the Novitecs that "slam" the car, its the combination of springs and perch height. It's pretty much infinitely adjustable.

Solid State likes this.
  9. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Thank you FordGtDriver to take your time for posting these very helpful pictures and explanation....you clarified my mind a lot, I guess I will go for same set up!!
    and I love gold rims with red:)

thank you also to HKE56Boy for your pics....yours is definitely lower!

Enjoy both these beauties in health

FordGTDriver likes this.
  10. F12london

F12london Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    London
    You are spot on,gap around the tyre needs to be proportionate

11. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Great info . Thanks . Pardon my tech ignorance. But I was just discussing this with my Ferrari service manager a couple of hours back .
    I have just bought the whole Vorsteiner CF Aero kit with 21/ 22 wheels. So if I just replace my 488 Spyder stock springs with the Novitec springs ...what ride height will I loose...or in simple terms, will I reduce the gap between wheels and arches without additionally manually lowering springs further as per the Novitec recommended 10/15 ? Must the Novitec springs always be accompanied by Spacer adjustment ? I just need the minimal lowering more for aesthetics as it’s my DD and ride comfort must nit be compromised . Please advise ? Thanks

12. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

13. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    First, yes, the installation of the Novitec springs will indeed lower the car as they come out of the box. The exact amount of lowering, however, can still be adjusted using the factory collars. You want this adjustability to meet your particular tastes. If the car is to be corner balanced, the adjustability is critical.

Regarding spacers, this is purely for aesthetics, and makes the wheels more flush with the body. So, the spacers are optional and in no way required.

Actualizer likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    The ability to adjust the shocks collars to lower the ride height is actually designed to just corner balance the car. You can slightly lower the car 10mm or so not much more with out severely affecting the geometry of the suspension but slamming it will result in less performance. Also keep in mind things like the geometry of the toe arms as those should be parallel. I have yet to see adjustable ride height toe arms for these cars.

15. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks . I was in chat with my Ferrari service team and made them read your comments. I have just installed the Vorsteiner Aero kit and wheels in my car. The low profile of tyres is making the gaps look more overt. So while my Ferrari manager agree in principle to just replacing the springs with Novitec springs...he strictly advised me that all kinds of funny in screen messages and fault lights will happen if I manually lower springs any further . So how much the Novitec springs lower the car down with manual hankering ?....as a rough estimate ?

16. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    I did not measure it, but here are before and after pictures after the Novitecs were added to my 2019 488. FWIW, I never had any screen messages appear after I added the Novitecs, even when lowered further using the collars. Hope this helps.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    What would you say guys, does that look like about 1"?

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    More than 1". Look as the distance of rocker panel from the ground just aft of the driver front wheel. Also gap over rear wheel. Maybe 1.5"?

FordGTDriver likes this.
  19. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

That looks perfect ! However my new Vorsteiner 507 gloss shadow come with low profile Michelin’s which makes the gap even more noticeable ...yuk

20. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Bryan S and mdrums like this.
  21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    20/21's look so much better to my eyes than 21/22... Your 488GTB looked so awesome! Those HRE's are the perfect performance wheel to me....those or BBS Fi-R's

22. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    mdrums, I couldn’t agree more! I have a new set of HREs coming for the Pista in the lightest weight wheel that they make (101LW). They should be here any day, and they will be...gold!

I’m A huge fan of the FI-Rs, I had a set of them both on my Porsche GT 3 and my Audi R10. They are so light that when you pick them up it makes you laugh out loud.

23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL