Pista Lowered on Novitec Springs | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pista Lowered on Novitec Springs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Yessiree, the "after" pictures with the stock wheels on the 488 have 20mm spacers on the rear and 15mm spacers on the front.

mdrums likes this.
  2. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Looks perfect, the way these cars sit from factory is an absolute joke.

3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I agree the stock ride height is a bit high. I like the look of your, as it does not look too low. I saw a Pista at the dealer with Novitec springs that they had just installed. Looked too low to me, and DEFINITELY needed spacers. I'll have to ask the tech if they can find a happy medium.

SECRET and FordGTDriver like this.
  4. Blake_Anthony

Blake_Anthony Rookie

Sep 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kartawinata
  5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    FordGtDriver...on your 488 or Pista, when you swapped in the Novitec was the stock perch collar settings used? or did you move the collars down farther on the shock?

My 488GTB is at the dealer now and I am trying to get your ride height look...I do not want to go too low due to roads and tracking the car some at Sebring.

6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Crude way to measure similar results is to get hub center to fender height on level ground -- eliminates effect of wheel diameter and tires, but won't cover geometry differences in front suspension.

7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Best way is to measure from specified point on chassis frame.

ive noticed on various forums for quick and dirty Ref guys measure from fender to ground. Yes better is fender to hub center and I prefer this for quick comparison if I can’t get to chassis frame points on the measured level surface.

I will have my car back tomorrow most likely and will post height and alignment specs. For some odd reason a lot of guys won’t share lowering measurement specs and alignment specs...really odd behaviors to me, being a real car guy and sharing info. I appreciate those that have shared what they have.

DrewB and SECRET like this.
  8. DrewB

DrewB Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    Cape Town South Africa
    Hi bro. I just fitted the novitec springs to my pista. Could I ask you if you have measurements from rim to fender on all four corners as a starting point for me to set up as I like your height and you’ve already set up corner weights which I’ll get to.
    Thanks mate

9. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Just a heads up for Pista owners to check their front left and right wheel arch liners. My pista has NOT been lowered and has been tracked several times. Due to the soft spring rate the wheels have compressed fully into the wheel arch during aggressive track driving and has started to destroy the wheel arch liner. See attached pics.

I’ve been told that this is a common issue in Europe where more pista’s are tracked vs the cars and coffee pista’s here in the US.

I’ve spoken to Ferrari Italia about this as my local Ferrari service center here in LA suggested that this happened not because of the springs of the pista but because I lowered the car and/or used oversize wheels. That is not the case. They said they have never seen this before and it would not be covered under warranty, thus the call to Ferrari. It’s due to driving the car hard at the track for sure.

Just wanted to make folks aware of this so you can check your wheel arch liners.

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MANDALAY, Thecadster and mdrums like this.
  10. DrewB

DrewB Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    Cape Town South Africa
    I went 15mm spacers all around but changing the fronts to 10mm as they look too aggressive. Novitec springs installed but haven’t set up corner weights yet. The fronts are too high and must be adjusted down which I’ll do this week. Handling feels greatly improved.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

RoadRonin, mdrums and AD211 like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I am betting that this is from road debris vs. the tires compressing into the liner.

PasadenaF430scuderia likes this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    What do your tires look like that hit the fender liners? I've had tires hit and rub liners before in other cars...my Porsches and they would show on the tire and the liner would have oblong wear marks. Possibly something you ran over flew up and hit the liner and cracked it.

PasadenaF430scuderia likes this.
  13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    You will want to see what the factory rake is between from and rear and adjust the car lower but keep the factory rake angle. This is until you do track events and adjust alignment settings further based off feel of handling and tire temps and wear. Then you can play with adjusting the factory rake angle to fine tune.

Does the Pista have adjustable sway bars?

As far as going with 15mm spacers on all corners this is actually a good choice as it keep the geometry in check. After you lower the front a little and get the factory rake angle back I bet 15mm on front will be fine. Also depends on how much negative camber in front you are running. Somewhere in the -1.5 range will be good and the 15mm spacers will help with how the tire sits in the fender well.

DrewB likes this.
  14. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Tires are fine. It makes sense what you said about debris but that would have to be one serious piece of debris and it would show damage else where such as the front splitter. No other damage.

15. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yeah makes sense. But that would have to be some serious road debris and large. Which would mean there would be other damage to the car, such as the front splitter, and there isn’t. Plus the road debris would be pushed backwards not upwards to the wheel arch.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you were tracking it could he rubber from other cars. Happens to our challenge cars all the time.

mdrums and PasadenaF430scuderia like this.
  17. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yeah it’s possible. But I’ve tracked other brands such as Porsche and McLaren and that never happened. Will see what Ferrari say.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Rubbing is an issue. It is common on Pistas with stock suspension at stock height. You can't go through Fuchsröhre at full til without serious liner rub.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I guess I never pushed mine that hard to know.

20. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
    any issues with getting a low profile jack under those cars?

21. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    There is absolutely no question that the Pista rubs at the track. Period. The wear to the liners is not covered by warranty. If you never track the car, you'll never notice it. I guess we just consider the liners a wear item. This is all first hand experience :)

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. And if there is, just back the rear wheel on to a big of 2" thick wood before inserting the jack.

dbalcar likes this.
  23. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I doubt Ferrari or any other manufacturer identify the liners as a wear item due to track use. Doesn’t happen with Porsche or McLaren unless you put on oversize wheels and/or tires and/or adjust the OEM suspension set up.

The fact that the pista (which by the name alone means track) has such soft springs and causes the wheels to compress that much (even with OEM height ride) and rub the liners is a design/set up flaw and thus should be covered by warranty, especially as it’s a potential liability issue if a tire was to deflate upon contact with an exposed metal part due to the liner deterioration.

I’ll let you know if Ferrari exchange mine under warranty.

24. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Sorry, I was being sarcastic with the "wear item" comment. Ferrari already denied my warranty claim. :)

25. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    No worries mate. Txt is always difficult to interpret. That’s **** they denied warranty on the liners. How much did they cost?