Pista or speciale !! | FerrariChat

Pista or speciale !!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jordan68, Mar 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    After seeing the Pista in flesh !!! What do u think ? Better specs ? Better look ? ... it's not NA .. I know.. but what do u think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baitschev likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Definitely Pista for me, but then I already picked up a 488 GTB over a Speciale, so I'm probably not a good example...

Zinger and Jordan68 like this.
  3. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I did the same I already picked up a 488 GTB over a speciale ... so same situation here

Zinger likes this.
  4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It's not a good Q imo ...two totally different cars ...

Cayenne or 911 would be the same ...

Both versions will have it's own lovers-group soon ... :D

5. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Both were built for the same purpose and use ... having one as a NA and another one turbo does not make them different as you said imo

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    One is not an suv. Not a good comparison.

Both are very similarly concepted.

Value wise the Speciale and long term it’s the better play.

Pista is sexy as hell.

Afonsolaw and Jordan68 like this.
  7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    On the Pista, Ferrari just showed McLaren how to handle aero on a car without making it look Fugly (again). Honestly, would go with a Speciale though.

Ash Patel and Jordan68 like this.
  8. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Agreed on the Mclaren and the speciale will be the Ferrari special car forever

9. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Too early to tell. Depends on several factors:

How critically acclaimed the Pista is when it hits the market, compared with Speciale which everyone has hailed as the holy grail.

How much the Pista costs and how many they make.

How good does it sound vs the NA motor of Speciale.

How much better Ferrari makes the 488 replacement which will not be a remake of the current car but an all new ground up redesign.

Short term the Pista is a fine play if you can get one. Long term Speciale may do better.

Just my 2 cents.....

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    To my eyes, the Speciale still looks nicer. Not so cluttered. And to my ears, the Speciale still sounds nicer. No spooling turbo whine. For me, the decision is an easy one, regardless of any details associated with the Pista's availability/price.

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I intend to park a Pista next to my Speciale; one for Saturday, the other Sunday. :)

Melons, zakeen, stavura and 3 others like this.
  12. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Great idea :)

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Speciale because its the LAST normally aspirated V8 from Ferrari. The LAST. (Not to mention the most power/liter).

The Pista is a beautiful car however, or at least until you see that teeny little engine in the back when you open the bonnet.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Pista, no question.

Baitschev likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right now I'd take the Pista, its the latest and greatest. We won't know how the market views the value questions until many years from now.

Jordan68 and Shadowfax like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I though the 458 Italia was the last NA V8 car to date? Or the model that came after - the 458 Spider. No it was the next in the series the 458 Speciale. Darn, it is really the 458 Special A limited edition as the last model car introduced to date from Ferrari with an NA V8. But only if you were serious about lasts!

The Pista is nice although just an 8K turbo. Like the weight reduction but the engine is small and so far the sound not there. All great Ferrari's but not comparable to the V12s whose last three versions still have more HP and NA engines with the grand melody. Since I'd have a V12, I'd rather have the Pista as the stable mate as it would at least be faster than the Speciale and likely do everything better than it as well.

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I love my Speciale, and I am a NA guy for sure, but I also don't fully understand the "hate" for a Turbo Ferrari.
    To say one prefers a NA engine is one thing, to belittle the engine in the Pista because it is "just a turbo" seems overdone to me.

To extract 720 hp from a 3.9L V8, an engine already globally lauded, seems quite an accomplishment. I am sure there are all sorts of amazing technology and materials in that engine. Furthermore, it is a production engine that is meant to be pushed hard on the road and track, and expected to withstand tens of thousands of miles of that hard use, if not more than 100,000 miles. This isn't some muscle car engine with a giant blower on it than blows up after a few weekends of drag racing runs.
    They have spent considerable time and highly specialized skills on making it behave with near zero Turbo-lag, better emissions, better fuel economy, lighter, and better sound than standard with Iconel components.
    I suspect this engine will be marveled at, and heralded as one of the finest auto engines ever created.

The future is going to have electric assist, or full electric, and as such I suspect, though I am no expert, the ICE engine component won't have to be as dazzling (or exist at all). The electric assist can make up for any failings in the anemic ICE. Right now the ICE has to stand on its own merits alone. This is coming right around the corner with the 488 replacement.

I am willing to bet that 2020 and beyond when looking back the Speciale engine will be coveted as one of the greatest engines of all time, and right there next to it in hall of fame will be the Pista engine as well. Cars will be faster and cleaner, but this is the "golden age" of ICE motoring, and these are the Kings.

Shack, junc, Jordan68 and 1 other person like this.
  18. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I'll keep my Speciale in any case.;)
    I have an allocation for Pista
    2019 delivery
    If I'm satisfied with Pista, I'll keep Speciale and Pista :)

Baitschev and Jelial like this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The engine is what it is - no belittle. There is literally a "huge" difference between a 9K V12 and an 8k small block turbo V8 in my mind. One is very rare the other is everywhere. And that's without bringing up the sound which is the benchmark for a Ferrari. If that meets your definition of belittle then so be little it! Best.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    To me, its all about how they look. Both the Speciale and the Pista are awesome. The Speciale is great, The Pista is absolutely incredible. To me - the Pista is tops.

21. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Pista all day long; since it's the perfect companion to my Challenge and 812.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have an F12 and absolutely adore that V12 every time it barks to life. It is more than just the scream near redline, it also musically changes character throughout the entire rev range. Indescribable.
    The seemingly endless power/torque delivered with buttery smoothness is addictive.
    What an engine!

Solid State likes this.