488 - Pista Spider Infotainment Screen Goes Dead | FerrariChat

488 Pista Spider Infotainment Screen Goes Dead

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Xrayv8, Jun 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Yesterday, I took out my spider for a drive and about 5 minutes into the drive, the radio screen goes dead. Then about 5 seconds later it re-awakens and 5 seconds later dead again. Doesn't matter if the radio, media, navi mode is selected. It cycles through this for the entire 30 minutes I was out.

Took it today and about 10 minutes into the drive started happening again but only did it 4x in the 30 minute ride rather 4-5x in a minute like it did yesterday.

Car is kept on tender when not driving. Everything else works with no problem. I locked the car, hoping to reset it but no luck. I'd like to try something before sending it to the dealer since we're having great weather in Jersey. I shot video of the issue but can't upload it.

Anyone else with this issue? or any idea what it could be?

2. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I took mine out the other day and it wouldn’t let me change radio channels. It would move over to the arrow but then nothing. About 20 minutes later it seemed to recognize the 25 tries to change the channel and quickly processes all of them at once. Which left me on a bad station and when I tried to change the channel the same thing happened.
    Did this for two drives then on the third start/drive it seemed to be working normally. Haven’t driven it since to determine if it’s “cured”.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Post some videos of the symptoms, please?

SV

4. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I took a video of it on my iphone but can't upload it. It's being picked up today so will report back to once its been sorted. Interestingly, yesterday afternoon the AC system wouldn't work either. There has to be a short somewhere in there.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Another reason not to have radios in these cars. Weak tech.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    OP, are you the original owner of the car? Did you put a scanner on the car and look for codes? I ask because there are some tunes out there that will cause things like this, over the years I have seen this happen many, many times. There are a number of other possibilities, but it is a good idea that you sent it to the dealer.

7. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I am the original owner of the car and definitely did not put a scanner on the car. To be honest, I'm not mechanically inclined to work on these cars and with all the computer boards on modern day cars, I agree that it has to be a circuit board somewhere. I will report back once it's be fixed, hopefully by the end of the week.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    More likely software. Probably just needs an update.

9. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Update - The dealership has been trying software updates and other things that Ferrari Technical has asked them try but problem still persists. So, Ferrari has asked for the existing radio unit to be sent to them for further diagnostics and a new unit has been shipped out which hopefully is due in tomorrow morning. Will keep you posted....

10. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Pista spider was returned this morning and took it for an extended drive to check out the infotainment system. The radio, ipod, navi and phone systems all work and back to normal. No more dead screens.

I guess it was just a bad unit (premium version) which was surprising to the service folks since this was the first time they had to order a new unit over the years. Oh well, hopefully this helps if anyone else should experience the same issue.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    O.K. it was exchanged ... happy owner !