Pista Spider Production Numbers - What have you heard? | FerrariChat

Pista Spider Production Numbers - What have you heard?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by nice, Oct 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    What have you heard?

Not an Aperta but limited by production time?

What are production expectations vs the SA?

Seeing how there will be 50% more SVJ coupes then SV coupes, do we expect Ferrari to do the same?

I’ve been offered a pista spider in lieu of my coupe so long as I buy another lusso. However, one lusso is enough for me so it’s simply a numbers game.

2. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    between 1000 and 1200 vs 499

nice likes this.
  3. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    +1

4. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017

take spider if they offered you! IMHO

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Considering the allocation of today , they are the same of f12tdf, so 799.

6. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    799 ( not numbered )

7. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    +1

F12KID and F12JAJ like this.
  8. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    All this 799 number is pure speculation. The SA was limited, the 488 Pista Spider is not. They will build as many as they can work their capacity and this was confirmed in press releases. Regular 488 cars are essentially being shifted towards Pista, which is a Version 2.0 of the 488 to compete with all the other supercars out there recently introduced, which is why there's no production limit, just like Perf and 720S, it's 2 closest competitors.

Being offered a Pista Spider if you buy a Lusso is nothing special, in fact laughable. Treat dealer games like drugs, just say no!

F12KID, nice, Automoblog and 2 others like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With both Pista and Pista Spider being not numbered, the Pista Spider has no reason to be more exclusive than the Pista - in the end it may end in production split 50/50 just like between the regular GTB and Spider.
    This 50/50 split is the "natural" (i.e. driven by objective demands) outcome, for Pista logically it should be less Spiders because this is a more questionable choice for an allegedly track oriented version. But it seems more people actually want the Spider because they believe it will be more exclusive :)

Solid State, Bundy and boobernackle like this.
  10. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    I ma not speculating . The only things that count right now are the allocations delivered to the Ferrari Dealer and all people know that they are the same number of the f12 tdf. All the rest is pure speculation .

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Your 799 number for a Pista Spider is wrong, what part of no production limit is hard to decipher? It could be 200 or 1500+, all based on production capacity and consumer choice as stated. Feel free to post anything concrete to the contrary other than "my dealer said so".

Press releases say there is no production limit for Pista and Pista Spider, if it was limited, Ferrari would've made an official announcement instead of dealer hype.

BaronM69 and BarryK like this.
  12. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Many Ferrari consumers are dating that their dealers Told them they have the same availbility of cars of f12tdf . This means that the average procutions of piata spider should be the same of tdf ( so around 800 pcs ) , another think to say is that this car is not available for everybody. This is my view, sorry ..

Caeruleus11 and Lukeylikey like this.
  13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Ferrari have publicly stated it isn't limited artificially. It's limited by their ability to produce. Ferrari has publicly shown that they are ramping up production as a whole, likely to capture the increasing demand. Dealerships will always claim the cars are limited because that gives them leverage to sell you more things, and unlike a public company, there's no reprehension whatsoever for lying for them.

14. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Ok so do you Maran that if a not consumer of ferrari ho tomorrow and asp for one they will sell it to him? The answer is not !

15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #15 Lukeylikey, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    I agree with you. At the moment allocations for next year are the same as for TDF - as now reported from multiple dealers. The only question is if there will be another model year for 2021. My guess is no but until we see what comes out at Geneva we won’t really know.

As for numbering, why would Ferrari number this car when they don’t need to drive demand, they know they already have it. Committing to a number only benefits the customer at the cost of added complication and less flexibility for Ferrari.

I have mentioned a number of times before that previous logic with regard to production does not apply at the moment due to new regulations coming into force this year. I have just read a report from Reuters talking about a drop of 48% in September sales in Europe for the market-leading VW group, including 67% for Porsche and 60% for Audi - hopefully you can imagine how many billions of euros this represents in lost profit and can work out they would not voluntarily do this. This is unheard of in my 30 years in the motor industry. This is due to new WLTP testing rules for all vehicles coming into force in September and some brands not yet declaring their results for many models (because they are too damaging) and therefore not being allowed to sell. People are having to rush new model and engine programmes forward because of these changes and how they will affect legislation that manufacturers previously thought they could meet.

I don’t know the specifics for Ferrari but I have a suspicion that they either don’t know if 488 can continue into 2021 MY or they do know - and it can’t.

BaronM69, Caeruleus11 and 09Scuderia like this.
  16. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    #16 boobernackle, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    It is hard to understand what you are typing, but if my hunch is correct: no a brand new customer with no history wouldn't be able to walk in and order a Pista, unless they play the dealer game and order a Lusso or Portofino.

Call any dealer and they have enough of a customer base for a Pista already from prior sales. A dealer has a vested interest in making a Pista seem limited, they will gradually go down their list of customers as allocations become available to them while also trying to manage trade-in inventory.

17. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    I am sorry but i have some problem with my mobile but IMHO i think that the stocks of these cars are limited ( not numbered but limited ) . My guess is 2800 for coupe and less of 1000 for spider. We will see guys!

18. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    pista is limited to existing good customers. spider is limited to better customers who are current portofino and lusso owners. dealers are getting about the same number of spiders as TDF's, only about 1/3 the number of pista coupes

F12KID likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Or you could wait 12 months and the secondary market will be littered with them.

IloveGT, F12KID and Automoblog like this.
  20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    for much more than MSRP.

Nelsonc275 likes this.
  21. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    1/3 of pista coupe.
    Almost same number as tdf allocation.
    I would guess 1000.
    They prefer customers with v12 lusso history for sure.

22. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    So from the sounds of things, there is a general consensus that there will be more spiders then Apertas hence it’s unlikely the values on spiders will perform as well as SA’s.

To my knowledge, lower miles, v12 2018 MY Lusso’s are bringing about 80-90k under sticker today (wholesale in the US).

I don’t see the logic for me forgo the coupe and buy another lusso just to get the spider. Losses for two Lussos will be around 200.

I’m better off buying the coupe, not buying another lusso and upgrading from the coupe to the spider in the secondary market. But being able to spec a car exactly the way I want it it a nice benefit.

Bundy, F12KID and Nelsonc275 like this.
  23. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    you have to remember that in the 3000+ unit sale increase target, they are projecting flat-ish growth in established markets and the bulk of the new growth in new markets with little previous penetration. Thus your dealer may receive the same, may receive less, may receive more, but the pie is a different size this time.

24. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    With nothing but delivery miles, dealer mules need feeding.

25. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    My dealer confirmed that they are getting a total of 8 Pista spiders and 25 Pista coupes for what ever that is worth. That’s a 4-1 difference in production numbers which seems to correlate with the production ratios of the Speciale. So I’m not sure why some are now speculating that there would be a 50/50 split but that would be great news for people that are further up the list on the Pista Spider list.