Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 48 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I was surprised to see how vibrant it was despite being overcast. It was glowing.

Gh21631, of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The real 'Fire Red'.

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Big congrats! Looks awesome in orange!

I think you also have the STO if I’m not mistaken? Would be interested to get your impressions of overall driver’s experience, though I’m certain the 765 is a monster all around. I haven’t seen any vids of the 765 on the track, a fair number of STO vids starting to appear.

I realize it’s probably snowing by you so it may be awhile, we don’t need an Arctic shootout……

4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #1179 ScrappyB, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Thank you.

By spring I’ll be ready to do a full comparison with all the cars in this thread title (+GT2 RS). Might even do a Top Gear car of the year style photo shoot with the local photographer.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Looking good Scrappy!! Congrats.

ScrappyB likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    One spider to rule them all:

ScrappyB, Shack, Coincid and 3 others like this.
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    man it just goes to show that HP isn’t everything. Lighter weight matters. Probably why my Pista and 765 are long term keepers.

LMH, mdrums, uhn2000 and 5 others like this.
  9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Agreed. Mind you, the LT wouldn’t stand a chance from a dig on a road surface but the acceleration was even once both cars hooked up.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sf90 is definitely faster. But 765 is fast enough. I haven’t driven sf90 so can’t comment on driving capabilities but every 765 owner raves about their car

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yes in a straight line but it has no chance on a track. The funny thing is that this was always thought to be the opposite with Ferrari and McLaren, certainly not true anymore.

BJK likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I also think the LT looks waa aay better.

BJK, Coincid, Shack and 1 other person like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I took the 765 out for two invigorating 90 minute runs this week, after the car had been sitting idle in excess of a month due to the onset of inclement weather. I will not claim that I forgot how stellar and uniquely scintillating this car is, since after driving the 765 even once, will have the affect of searing into one's brain and soul, a memory that cannot be diminished by the passage of time. Words cannot begin to do justice in conveying its ferocity, the blinding speed, the summit of objective capabilities and the intimacy of the connection between the car and driver. The 765 has no peer in its class and will undoubtedly represent the pinnacle of the soon to end era of super/hyper ICE cars. Mclaren has wrought a singular achievement in the development of the 765. Anyone considering to part with this marvel of automotive supremacy would be guilty of committing an act of imprudent, impetuous, foolhardy recklessness.

LMH and Shack like this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The fact that a RWD car with deficit of 200HP, selling for a couple of hundred thousand $ less, is essentially as fast in a straight line up to 1/4 mile, is mind bending. Not even addressing the driving dynamics of the 2 cars, which would be doubtful if the SF90 is as compelling, spine tingling and offers the connection and feedback between car and driver. Only reinforces how extraordinary the 765 is. Bearing in mind that aesthetics are highly subjective, my eyes view the 765 as infinitely more appealing than the SF90.

LMH, mdrums, Thecadster and 1 other person like this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    To be fair we have to say the 765LT was equipped with TOYO tyres..

Thecadster likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Toyo's vs AWD - helps even even out the traction issues.

Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    That's when you got nothin'.

18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Comparison of SF90 lap times to Senna (both ‘mild’ hyper cars with opposing philosophies - lightweight non hybrid with huge aero v heavyweight high power hybrid and medium aero) makes for interesting reading. Also shows that SF90 is no drag race one-trick pony and is a very capable track car. Looking at both dry track comparisons available and it bests the Senna. The wet handling track advantage for Senna is interesting. Either it’s the lightweight or huge aero or perhaps a combination of both but that clearly overwhelms the SF90’s awd.

Unless the 765 is much quicker on track than Senna I would say the SF90 would do well against it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpalmito and REALZEUS like this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not sure where this came from but an SF90 might last a lap or 2 before things get real ugly for it. It's better off for a cross country cruise vs track time.

Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Somewhat small sample size. It will be interesting when the comparison group is 15-20+ circuits.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    And more than a single lap. Brakes will be toast as will the batteries.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I’ll take the lighter weight of the 765LT all day long…better cornering, braking and I would bet more fun to drive.

LMH and Coincid like this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    People who don’t track don’t understand how critical the confidence in braking is and how high speed and heavy car is terrifying as the brakes begin to fade. I can imagine coming into the braking zone in both SF90 and 765 at similar speeds (170+)and the light weight car being consistently confidence inspiring while the heavy car would be scaaryyy.

RoadRonin, mdrums, wthensler and 5 others like this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Still trying to figure out the purpose of the SF90, outside of the concept of collecting Ferraris. The SF90 will not be a collectible.

mdrums likes this.
  25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #1200 Lukeylikey, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    It is really very difficult to run the battery out even on track in Q mode. The brakes point is a fair one though. Lightweight is always better for braking.

To answer someone else’s question, the point of the SF90 is to build a super-fast car that utilises hybrid tech, as per F1 which Ferrari has been using since 2014, to make a car that’s great to drive and ballistically fast on road and track. It goes very well on track (I followed a non-AF around Silverstone with our 2RS for a session and they are similar pace, close enough for the driver to make the difference) and it goes very well on the road - it’s the first car I have been able to walk away from Pista/600 LT etc. on a roadtrip with. All the others are close enough that similarly fast drivers can stay with each other more or less. The SF90 just leaves them, really quite easily. As I’ve said many times before, each to their own and if somebody prefers a 765, perfectly fine with me. It’s just not fine for the tone to be “765 good, SF90 bad” because ours really isn’t. It goes well on the road, well on the track and I have direct experience of both. The figures posted above only serve to show what I already know; road or track this car is fast. And I know it’s good to drive too.

Maybe the world doesn’t need a hybrid hyper car, but in truth it doesn’t need any hyper car. They all find their justification in offering a unique experience because it is possible. Same applies to a hybrid hypercar with 1,000hp and brilliant dynamics. If owners enjoy it, why ever not?