Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 61 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There really isn't. The 765 on street tires is faster around some tracks than my 488 Evo. Don't get too caught up in these magazine and internet times, lots of reasons why one might do better than the other. I'm telling you from personal experience.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    For your entertainment.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you really push the fronts don't last long either. They will fade after a 2 to 3 hard laps and be toast soon after.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    He passed that RS like it was standing still.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This track is no joke, the best I did was 1.46 2 weeks ago but it was very hot so it was slippery. I'm not super fast but decent. A 1.40 in a street car with street tires is insane. People read the internet times and use that to judge what's faster but there are many factors. Under similar circumstances the 765 is gonna beat most regardless of price range.

mdrums likes this.
  6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    An insane video! Great driver man handling a wildebeest!

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    its an insane car!!

8. Driver error.

9. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    So it looks they had to push the LT to its limits trying to do best what they can ... and still didn't beat the Pizza :d (Pista :))

In the end they put the best time the LT achieved.

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In this video, the time was hampered by the track and tire conditions as well as the extra mass ( 180 lbs or more) due to a passenger.

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I own both Pista and 765. You can believe track times taken by different drivers, different days, different conditions but ask people who own both- its not close. The Pista is a great car. But its not as fast or quick as 765. My 720 was faster than my Pista.

12. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    This thread has me seriously considering a 765LT.

Gh21631, AD211 and SoCal to az like this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You wont be disappointed.

RoadRonin likes this.
  14. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Thanks for your opinion. You are lucky to own both, a Pista and a 765LT. If you're going to sell the Pista, someone will be very happy about it.

McLarens are faast, no doubt. The 720S (announced by McLaren as 720CV car) in reality has about 760 CV, and the 765LT has ... around 880CV :D (same dyno - results via DragTimes - aka Brooks broke the P1 down ;) )
    So there is nothing magical in mclaren's "bang for a buck" performance. It's booost :D. And it's a bit of sandbagging, same as Porsche does with their underestimated power values. Some even call it cheating if it comes to make valid comparisons between different cars from the same segment.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. Ferrari can boost their cars as well. Last I checked the Pista is a twin turbo car.

And with regards to your point about cheating- again- not sure what point you are trying to make. Ferrari lies about the weight of their cars. All the time. They under report weight. Meaning they are not being conservative with their estimates.

Are you saying that on the other hand that Mclaren is being underreporting power? How is that cheating or sandbagging? If they wanted to cheat they would over report their power.

Regardless- my only point was not to get caught up in some article claiming one car is faster than the other. They are both fast but those that own both will tell you the 765 is faster, quicker, more nimble.

adr0104, mayer, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  16. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    It's just "EVO magazine" - some may care about their hot lap times, some not. It's free to decide.

I am not trying to make things more complicated than they are - some facts, just for fun:

When we put 720S vs Pista, we assume (following factory claims) that we test cars evenly matched according to engine power. But Pista has been measured at about 720CV for real, and 720S put ~760CV though. So Ferrari has quite adequate amount of boost to get 720CV figure, and mclaren just cheats a bit trying to convince people as if their "720CV car" was punching over its weight.

Yea, weight ...
    More than that, Mac curb weight (on paper) is 50kg less than Pista, so in reality it can be quite a lot more. (Ferrari weight claims are in fact hurting them in real life comparisons)

When the comparison of Pista vs 720S looks like that, then vs 765 it's taken to another level. The 765LT is another 60kg lighter (vs 720S) and has got 120CV more than 720S.
    It is a rocketship :p

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes it’s a rocket ship. Which is what I’m trying to explain. Ignore one randomn journalist saying one car is better than the other. Listen to actual owners.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Quickest compared with a SF90 on track ?

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think off the line, the SF90 has an advantage due to the all wheel drive. Although Ive seen videos where both win a 1/4 mile race. I have not seen any videos, information of an SF90 around any tracks. Never driven an SF90 but am told its blistering fast.

Dragtimes had a series where the 765 beat the sf90 in one race and next race sf90 won. So Id call it a wash but again both blistering fast in a straight line.

jpalmito likes this.
  20. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    car forums have a mix of people … owners of the cars but most are on the sidelines . Many of the sidelined people are formula 1 fans and they bring the analysis /fandom of formula 1 into these discussions. (Ie ; cheating , not apples to apples comparison , hard tire va soft tire , etc ). Arguments/conclusions are based on their preferred team .

owners wind up discussing things with people who have different objectives …

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. Rami Hajjar

Rami Hajjar Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Rami H
    Very much agree! My 720 spider was just as fast or faster than my Stage 1 tuned Pista. My 765 spider feels way faster than the Pista. I will say though the Pista is still my favorite car I own overall.

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #1522 Coincid, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    The concept of the term "cheater" has been distorted. Mclaren is accused of cheating - acting dishonestly in order to gain an advantage- by offering cars with more power than advertised. They could be accused of cheating if they actually offered less power than claimed or if they spec'd the weight of the car as being less than it genuinely is. When I purchased the 765 under the impression that it was a 750 HP car and then discovered it actually measured more than 800 hp, I did not feel deceived. I did not approach my dealer for a discount nor did I angrily demand a refund. Receiving more than was bargained does not comport to the concept of being cheated. It is exactly the opposite.

adr0104, Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #1523 SoCal to az, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Your car weights 3000 pounds.
    Actual weight 3500 pounds
    This is cheating.

Your car has 750 hp.
    Actual measured hp is over 800.
    This is not cheating.

adr0104, FLGT, FFan5 and 4 others like this.
  24. Who the fc#k cares who is "cheating"

Bottom line is the 765LT is faster than the Pista. Period.

Would it make it better (less of a "cheater") if Mclaren branded the 765LT as the "760LT" so that it wasn't a labeled a "cheater" by some small minded people? And if it was, it would still be faster than a Pista.

So then what are we left with? Whether Mclaren cheats or not, its car is faster than Ferrari's. Happy?

adr0104, Boots, andyrichter and 2 others like this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Faster doest mean better. Ive said it before, Ill say it again- both amazing cars. All of us should be blessed to own any of these.

mayer, Gh21631 and AD211 like this.