488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 74 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Exactly, just seems excessive for those 2 pieces. I may swap them out if I dont like it, I think they just snap in.

The diffuser is underneath in the rear, the dealer didnt think it would be worth the money considering you can barely see it. Again, if I dont like it I will swap it out.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Same people buying these types of cars for the most part.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    $24k for exterior carbon, and $18k for the Senna disc’s. Crazy.
    At that point I get a $180k 488 GT whatever track car.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    So it would appear. Just thought the discussion was probably better placed on mclarenlife but am just as happy to see it here to save me time from duplicating. Besides I prefer it here anyway and discussion on Pista and F8 is really stale now.....and has been for a while.

PS Dustman a 488Gt is not a 765lt. You gotta pay to play no matter what the brand.:)

Mclaren is just taking a leaf out of Ferrari's book and when it comes down to cost options Ferrari is still the King of rip off.....although Mclaren is starting to run a close second place.

tekaefixe and Gh21631 like this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ve spent the day staring at pics of different Mclaren whites before I 100% lock in my spec. In photos the Alaska Diamond doesn’t have nearly the flec that was in the swatch. However, pics are almost impossible to judge whites with. In photos cirrus grey looks white but the swatch was quite grey. These white cars seem two shades darker in person versus photos. The flec in the Alaska Diamond was incredible on the paint swatch. For those who’ve spec’d Mclaren before, are the in store paint swatch’s a good representation of the car? Or can they be misleading?

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I did the parts that I think should be carbon. These 2 other options just seemed a bit much.

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Mclaren is a bit schizophrenic in their pricing. The 765 is actually fairly reasonably priced. Many features are standard - Some carbon fibre pieces, race seats, coloured calipers, upgraded stereo, forged wheels. Then others are non sensical. Black pack for example, which paints the dark grey raw cf a high gloss black is a $17000 option. Price gouging for options is a common practice for all super car brands.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree some of the options and the base price are reasonable and others are a bit whacked.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

Your spec will be stunning.

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Off whites and metallic whites are especially sensitive to ambient lighting. If your heart is set on Azura blue calipers (which I personally love), then I strongly consider either Cirrus Grey or Silica white as they’ve proven to work with those calipers. An obscure paint like Alaska Diamond might also look great.... or it might not.

This is coming from a guy who ordered smoked white without ever seeing a sample. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice :)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    If white then best to go the "smoked" being exclusive color representative for the 765LT model. That is the recommendation from the spec guru here who feels certain colors will always perform better on resale than others, particularly for Lt models. Not that you buy a car to sell it but it always pays to cover your bases so that if/when that time comes, you can move the car on easily and for a better price.

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was set on cirrus but then it was so much darker in person than I expected while the ADM had all blue flec on the white background I wanted. I’m set on Azura blue accents. ADM was pretty close to silica white except it had more blue in the flec and it was slightly more interesting. The photos I’ve seen though of ADM just don’t have as much pearl in the sun as I was expecting but that doesn’t mean in person it won’t.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    A bit of advice for Mclaren to get true best bang for your buck- do a custom paint job. It’s like 12k which is very reasonable compared to Ferrari and you can mix whatever color you want. If you go with a darker color- skip all the carbon options. Spend 6k on a custom interior stitching. So for less than 20k you get a unique color with custom color stitching without having to blow a bunch of money on carbon.

slm and Ash Patel like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1839 Shadowfax, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    There are ways of keeping the initial new buy cost down such as skipping CF but most want the CF anyway over cars without it so at one point it will come back to bite. It would be a different story if most didnt care for the CF but it does appear to be a key part of the expected physical appearance hence why most go for it. Seems to be much the same case with Ferraris Pista and other special versions.

There will always be the odd buyer who will try and cheapskate their way into one of these special version cars and then wonder why nobody wants it or will only offer dirt money for it at sell time.
    I recall seeing a Pista without the Cf and the car sat around only to sell way under list. It was a cheapskate flipper spec but the flipper got flipped over by his own hand. He got what you could call good bang for buck but the final bang wasn’t nice.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agreed that the special edition Ferraris you need the carbon. im not sure that the same is true for the Mclaren cars.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1841 Shadowfax, Oct 11, 2020
    Ive been assured the same principle applies to the Lt and special version macs but i guess every type of car becomes saleable at a price. Just depends on how many are available for sale when you decide to sell it and what your car is competing against. As most will have the cf optioned its likely the one without cf will be the discerning buyers last and least choice and, with a price to match its obvious disposition.

Cf may not be as important on a non LT 720 but even so im pretty sure most used buyers prefer cars with more options than less. Costly paint jobs are never recoverable from what ive seen on used 720s’s and dont do much to enhance the general saleability like other options have a certain tendency to do. Cf is usually one of those prefered options - much as is the case with a 488gtb.

With the 765, as was the case with Pista, they were always marketed with the CF so the buyers have already had that anchoring in terms of how the car needs to look.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Time will tell what happens to the 765- but the reason Im thinking that CF may not be as important is the potential depreciation curve. 765 may be totally different an break the mold- I dont know. But the special edition Ferraris have done well so spec them well and they will likely hold close to msrp.

We only have the 675 to go by and that is roughly 1/2 of msrp currently- selling a bit over 200k right now. The regular 720 also has come down- granted both these are actually rising slowly but the history is different with Mclaren and Ferrari. So if the 765 is going to follow the 675 depreciation curve- may as well save some money speccing it out.

I may be completely wrong as Ive decided against getting a 765 for various reasons. Not because its not going to be the possibly the best Mclaren that has been put out in a while- but regardless, if I was to spec one Id honestly have to think if I would follow what I did with the Pista (every possible CF option on the exterior) or do something different with the Mclaren. Honestly I dont know so Im just speculating.

SECRET likes this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I understand your thinking - am also breaking new ground with 765 and like anyone would prefer to save $ on the way in so long as it doesnt whack me on the way out. On the 675 which was more limited in numbers spec was a key factor which determined the resale outcome so i imagine the same will apply again with 765. Im told that it will so its always a gamble scratching off items which were on the launch vehicles. Buyers tend to have a visual expectation which desirably needs to be met. I note on 765 the gloss black is a no cost option if all the Cf is selected.
    Mac know the market and how to extract the dollars. Palladium is very ordinary in comparison to either.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I dont mean to turn this into a depreciation discussion as at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether the car holds value or not. Thats not why anyone buys these things. The only reason I suggested the dark color and no CF was because there was some discussion above about deciding which CF to add and which to avoid. With a darker color car, you dont notice it as much. I dont have the front dam and rear diffuser on my 720 and frankly have never missed it. However I almost didn't do the carbon engine bay on my Pista and Im so glad I did cause it would have totally destroyed the look of the car.

Personally Id get a roof scoop before I got all CF as I think that will make the car super unique and sellable but I understand why some dont want to do it as it has limited use and functionality.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1845 Shadowfax, Oct 11, 2020
    Agree nobody buys to sell but it does come around at one point, so its finding the right balance which you can live with at both buy and sell end. I know a lot will make out they dont care what they lose but they are usually the ones who cheapskate, so money is definitely important to them whether they want to admit to it or not.

Re the roofscoop i also see it as a unique and attractive feature and had i known it delivered the same sound sensations as the 675’s scoop i would have selected it even though it does compromise the rear visibility. I think the scoop was poorly marketed and promoted as everyone - even the sales guys - was of the belief it didnt do anything and was a lot of money for a look. Going by the detailed product guide - which didnt surface until recently- this couldnt have been further than the truth.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So this is a poll with an N of 1- If in the future I decide that I missed out on the 765 and I want one, Id be on the lookout for a car with a roof scoop and the carbon wouldn't matter to me. Just my personal opinion after owning a Mclaren. Obviously everyone will have differing opinions.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1847 Shadowfax, Oct 11, 2020
    Pretty certain any car with the scoop will have a ton of CF. Thats how it is here for the few that chose the scoop - money being no object to achieve the desired look. These few well over the million marker....and i mean well over. Cant see these cars being resold anytime soon least of all at a bargain price. It seems you get one go at optioning the car right so better to go hard than soft. There is no second chance......untill the next LT.;)

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So if I must get CF in order to get the roof scoop- so be it. That would be a reason to get the CF.

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    On the depreciation talk, I agree with So Cal mostly. How I see it is the 675LT got killed because the 650S did. The 765LT has both the 675 and 720S to create a floor for it and the price point is actually pretty reasonable. A 2018 $350k 720S will be worth about $240k now. That’s not that terrible, honestly. Pretty standard super car stuff. I can see the 765 losing 10-15% of its value in the first 12-18 months before leveling off and hopefully going up longer term.

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The roof scoop is poorly integrated though, to my eye. I’d pass.

dustman likes this.