Planes You would Avoid Flying? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Planes You would Avoid Flying?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by UroTrash, Nov 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Okay. it makes a point, I guess. I recall another comment by a Lufthansa pilot who complained about having to speak English at German airports. Overheard by a British pilot who answered, " Because you lost the bloody war!". Another cruel retort by a British Airways pilot when a Lufthansa 707 broke out of the line at the take off point to return to the terminal. When asked why, the Lufthansa pilot said that they had lost count of a passenger. Whereupon another pilot in line said, " Did you check your ovens?" Even in the 1960's and 70's there were repercussions of WW2. In my training classes for new engineers in 1962-63 I was exposed to Poles who still harbored intense anger at those who desecrated their homeland, the Nazi's and the Russians. Most of the English students still looked down on us Colonials as still rough and uneducated. They were partly correct.

2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Should I be concerned when a [commericial] pilot has to make a go-round on landing? Twice on the discount airlines I watched as the pilot made an improper approach and was forced to circle back and try again. Once was Spirit Airlines [15 yrs ago] on approach in Atlantic City. I could see we had way too much altitude to make the strip. I turned to my wife and told her we aren't going to land on this try. I chuckled when the copilot said there was traffic on the runway. It was empty. And Atlantic City probably had 3 commercial flights all day.

The second was last year. While i was building a home in the NC mountains I had been frequently flying Allegiant Air [MD 80s] from Punta Gorda FL airport to Greenville SC. At $100 round trip the price was much cheaper and easier than driving 13 hours. One time on approach to Punta Gorda I saw the same thing happen......much too much altitude requiring another go around. No comments from the cockpit this time. The passengers got quiet though.

Any issues with Allegiant and MD 80s? I think they bought these planes from AeroMexico and SAS. Supposedly they have all been refurbished as they are probably fairly old aircraft.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    google 'allegiant air engine problems'

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    That's an eye-opener. I am glad this thread came about. Sounds like the old adage......you get what you pay for. With such cheap prices Allegiant might be ignoring maintanence. How do they get past the FAA with this stuff?

I may have to either stick to driving from Naples to the NC mountains, deal with change of planes in ATL to get to CLT, or just pay USScareways outrageous non-stop prices......$600 for a one hour flight. Wish SW would break the USAir lock on CLT.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not to worry... that's why they have an extra engine on the MD-80.

Good to go. :)

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The chance of an engine failure on a twin is twice as high as a single!

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Dear jcurry,

That was a joke... :) :) :)

Really!

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A quote from C. Lindbergh before he bought the single engine Ryan NYP.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I flew several sorties in 099 during my tour at the "Kun". 515 was mine and she remains, to this day, the hottest girl I ever went out with...

Blue Skies...

Hannibal