Plater for cadmium in CT anyone know them | FerrariChat

Plater for cadmium in CT anyone know them

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dwhite, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Riped out the Boxers suspension to have it cad plated. Have everything prepped for plating, but won't send it out in the mail as my insurance co. will not cover it if a box goes lost and the pieces are insanly costly to replace.

Have used a place in Erie, PA in the past, but it's 450 miles away and have been looking for someone closer.

Has anyone ever heard of these guys. https://www.newenglandchrome.com

A thanks to Newman on confirmation of plating colors and some other questions.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari didn't use cad but you can if you like. It is yellow zinc.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yes thanks Paul told me zinc, but I'm going cad because everything I have read says cad offers better protection from the elements. I drive my car and it's for protection vs originality. I'm not sure if anyone would be able to tell the difference. When I drop the stuff at the plater I may discuss a clear coating after everything is plated.

4. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Friendly advice, make sure you take pictures of every nut, bolt, etc. and document everything. I have a plater close to me, but still 10 hrs from you. Pic of a few items he's done for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#5 dwhite, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Yeah I know stuff can go missing. One thing I like about this place is the small stuff is my own patch and I have used them in the past. Some places I spoke with did not do that, which makes me nervous I would not get everything back. I send pictures and give a list of pieces.

Plater is: American Tinning & Galvanizing Company
    http://www.galvanizeit.com

Here is one picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This topic has many opinions. I will be sending various parts from various models spanning decades to a plater for analysis. Stay tuned.

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If ferrari owners don’t care about reproducing the original finish on originally soft-touch interior items, why worry about the plating process on hardware? Zinc plating with a yellow chromate is perfectly acceptable and has an excellent salt spray resistance, plus it will get you the concours points and is arguably the same finish as original.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree to an extent. But a little bit apples to oranges.

It's my understanding that yellow cad has better corrosion protection, so that matters to me. In the case of soft touch, that's not a better product, it's one that fails.

I have already done a bunch of my 355 parts in yellow zinc and they look great.

As an engineer, I like to get to facts. So, sending out some parts is pretty easy to do and then I will have an analysis on what coating is on those samples. There is no harm in that exercise.

9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There are more modern soft touch coatings that work.

Cadmium plating has been obsoleted because its not worth the environmental cost versus its corrosion resistance compared to zinc plating.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We have a use a soft touch on parts than need flex. But, there is no good data on the time any of these products will last.

It's not obsolete - platers still do it.

11. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    REAL cad plating is illegal in CA, and has been so for over 25 years(???)
    There will be NO chrome plate shops, as we know them, in CA within 5 years, 10 max... ALL environmental/hazmat laws...
    Italy banned cad decades ago
    as has most other places...it all seems to test out zinc of one form or another...
    Unless an exemption for a military/defense industry applies(your PA firm is near BIG Naval stuff), they will TELL you one thing, but its usually zinc or a Chromate of some sort-but this is getting rare too...

let me know how this works out for you-plating in CA is almost a spray can deal(not really THAT bad), but its getting really hard to get quality without costs approaching the promising to tithe my first born grandson!