Please explain to me how to use my 328 A/C climate control knobs and toggles | FerrariChat

Please explain to me how to use my 328 A/C climate control knobs and toggles

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rosey, Dec 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I didn't buy my car new so I never had the luxury of a Ferrari salesman run through the functions of the 4 round knobs and 4 led toggles of the climate control system personally. I have asked a few 328 owners over the years and they too are a bit sketchy on the details.

I understand the basic function of how to switch on the A/C but still after all these years I'm not sure what the controls do, when to best use them and what they actually adjust.

I have the owners manual but it's not the most concise description I have read (the car is Italian, not German).

Anyone care to have a crack at running me through it.

Cheers

2. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    A/C is simple turn blue dial to max and yellow dial to max ... and grab a cool drink- oh wait, no cupholder!

3. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bring your manual into the car, start up the car and and begin to learn that everything does . The heating vents and A/C vents are different. Once you understand what the levers and knobs do, it easier to control the air flow.

4. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The toggles that light up with the red bar graphs control the heater valves meaning they will change the temperature of the heated air coming from the vents by allowing more coolant to enter the heat exchangers. The one closer to the driver controls the driver's side while the one on the right controls temperature of passenger vents.

The toggles that light up with the amber bar graphs control flaps inside the dash. When only one or two are illuminated, the heat is directed to the footwells. As the bar graph increases, more heated air is directed to the top of the dash. The one closer to the driver controls driver's side vents, etc. Footwell vents that are louvered are on extreme left and right facing down. They can be rotated and louvers can be directed.

The volume of heated air for each side is controlled by the two blower knobs, one for driver, the other for passenger. This is outside air.

AC air mostly exits the center vent on top of the dash as well as the two vents in line with the console. It also exits at each console vent which has three adjustments. Two are for direction while the third is volume (which is not a heck of a lot). The AC blower switch, besides controlling the volume of AC air, also controls the AC compressor. AC will not work without this switch somewhere in the on position. AC air does not exit from the louvered footwell vents. Some does exit behind the adjustable louvered vents mentioned above. AC air is recirculated interior air, not outside air. So if you want fresh air in the vehicle with windows up and AC on, an amber bar graph control is used with heat control bar graphs obviously in off position.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    We have a winner. :)

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I always said that you need to be an ingegnere to figure out the ventilation and a/c systems in a 328. It's a good thing that I am one!

Rosey likes this.
  7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I still haven't figured out the light stalk in the 10 years I have owned the car! I don't have problems with the AC because I never change the settings! :)

8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks Lawrence, so on a normal mild day what do your settings look like?
    I mean you would not need the A/C on so do you have any of the other knobs or switches activated or is everything normally off?

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just don't get "thumb fisted" on ANYTHING in that center console... you break any of the rheostats/switches/LED panels, and you'll probably spend years and $$$$ trying to find replacements. Your few minutes of "comfy climate control clumsiness" could cause you a lot of grief with just a moment of inattention or being thumb-fisted.

I learned this lesson years ago and never did it again.

Jedi

Rosey likes this.
  10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    With the AC, turn the fan up as high as you like but you should not run the AC control at max - especially if you are running at speed because it may ice the system up. This is referenced in the owners manual I think. I usually set it at about 70%. It will then cut in & out at fairly regular intervals. Essentially it cools down till the evaporators start to freeze & then it turns itself off to warm up a bit, then it cuts back in - rinse & repeat. You'll hear it clicking on & off if its working right. If it goes on and stays on permanently then usually its an early indicator that you are low on gas in the system & its not cooling that well.

11. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Use the switch on the door and put the window down. That’s the best ac the car has. Ha!

12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The only problem I find when I run the A/C or blower fans on high is the that I tend to get tiny bits of disintegrated black rubber insulation coming out of the vents into the cabin.

There is a thread on that somewhere and is apparently very common with our cars due to the age of the rubber and the cars more limited usage.

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's really the strangest climate system I've ever seen ... I can't think of another car that offers to provide both hot and cold air to the same vents at the same time. ;)

Rosey likes this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I'm on the open road on a typical day (as when I drove from GA to NY in September), I leave the roof on the car, turn the A/C on high and open both windows! And park in the shade whenever you can.