Please help with transporting wine. | FerrariChat

Please help with transporting wine.

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by SoftwareDrone, Oct 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am traveling to Cancun next month for a vacation. As a result of an airline snafu, I can only bring a carry on to the plane. How can I ship a couple of bottles of fine wine to the resort?

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    pack in checked bags

GatorFL likes this.
  4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As a result of an airline snafu, I can only bring a carry on to the plane. Fed Ex is no help either.

5. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    I have shipped large format wines via FedEx without any problems. They require an adult signature on delivery, but did it in less than 3 days (FedEx Ground).

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you for your note. I researched this a couple of times. They specifically state that no individual may ship wine internationally, even if they have an account. Both the sender and the receiver must have licenses to do so. I called them to make sure.

So here is how the problem came to be. Instead of booking a flight direct to Cancun, I booked two separate flights, one from SFO to DFW, then from Dallas to Cancun. I didn't realize at that time that I could have booked the same two flights under one reservation. Since I booked two separate flights, the airline refuses to keep my bags on the plane. I must grab them off the carousel, check them in again, go through international security again, then probably take a train to get to my gate. I'll have missed the flight for sure by then. The airlines also refused to rebook me on the same two flights under one reservation without charging me a fortune. Thanks, American Airlines.
    The wine I like to drink is rather expensive. The last time I was in Cancun, we went to a wine store and of course they didn't carry it. A couple of high-end restaurants that we like have it, but you'll pay 2X-3X for a bottle.

I checked shipping wine internationally with Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, etc. No go. There is a company that will sell you a wine basket with goodies and they'll ship it to Mexico but the wine is crap.

At any rate, I came up with what I thought was a clever solution to the problem. My first class ticket cost over $3,000.00 but I just booked another flight to Cancun on the same day, using the same two flights, in budget economy for $280. I'll check my bags using that ticket. So I'm basically paying American Airlines $280 to ship my wine for me. I'll buy a $10 suitcase from a thrift store and basically burn it to check the wine (and suntan oil, and coffee creamer, which they also wouldn't let me bring through security). When I get off the plane, the wine will be sitting on the carousel.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    You are going to check bags without checking in (on that ticket)?

let us know how that works…

also, what are the import duty details for Mexico?

Do they have anything like wine.com in Mexico or other big online wine sellers? You could order from them and have it delivered to the hotel…

koisokok likes this.
  8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Before I purchased the extra ticket, I called American Airlines customer service, explained exactly what I wanted to do and why, and they said they could see nothing wrong with it. We'll see what happens when I'm actually at the ticket counter.
    I tried wine.com, it looks like they'll only let you ship within CONUS. I also tried winebid.com.

Buck_nekid likes this.
  9. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Yeah the International part is your problem. I have shipped to Hawaii/Maui, and California, but never tried Internationally. Before 9/11 I used to carry wine in an approved protective 3 bottle carrier as a carry on. Good luck! I hope you find a way to enjoy your juice.

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Find a good wine shop when there. If not the exact wine should fine something.

Order wine from a Mexico shop and they deliver to you there.

11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So what is this wine? All this effort and you’ll buy a $10 thrift store suitcase?

Just ship it FedEx and say it’s clothes or something.

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    When I wrote "In Mexico", I meant online wine sellers, that are, well, "in" Mexico, not attempting to get a USA online wine seller to ship to Mexico. They gotta have their equivalent to our many online wine retailers...(a quick google search says they do fwiw)

Also, when I've wanted to send wine and other items to my hotel under somewhat similar circumstances, I've usually had decent luck calling the concierge at the hotel and explaining what I'm trying to do and asking their help.

13. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Charter an aircraft, bring your wine with you in cabin, problem solved.
    Gary Bobileff

surfwolf likes this.
  14. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Any update ?
    One of the first things i do when i land in Cabo is head to Costco . Pack up the Hotel Van they send for me at the airport and head to the hotel with an amazing assortment of Tequila and Wine . Would do the same in Cancun as they have one there as well ....

arizonaitalian likes this.
  15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I think this post was for you...(how did it go?)

koisokok likes this.