Please Help | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Please Help

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mondialqves, Dec 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Ok lets look back at the fuse box

when I look at the schematic figure 7 (that you found) the 21 fuse feeds into the "87" leg of the "G" relay

1) can you change "G" relay with a known good one? after changing check if fuse still burns

( relays go bad and can cause shorts especially after 30 yrs)

2) the circuitry goes through a few white connectors "J" "K" "V" can you remove inspect for any "heating/burning" (J22, K5 and V look at the schematic and trace the line for exact areas to look at)

3) check the fog light harness in the front the same as you checked the license , find where it connects to the front main harness and inspect for damage and continuity

report back

2. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    1) Have changed the relay last week for a new one. it still burns de fuse
    2) all removed and in perfect condition
    3) Checked and perfect

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    1)Are you sure that it is the exact relay?

On the side it should show the same schematic as fig 7

2)Have you checked the side marker harness?

3) Fig 7 shows ECU 109 I believe that it is in the rear trunk bottom left side, check connections there

5) Where there any issues going on before/when this started? ie was there any work performed , accident, burn bulbs ?

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #54 MvT, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    So the issue recently has started and before you didn't had issues?
    The wiring harnass is pretty well protected of a Mondial I need to say. If none has fiddled around with it or any Non F accessories added and like Ron mentioned no accident or other repairs... it is quite impossible that this would be the root cause.

I would say the issue is either your steering column switch or your fuseboard that has an issue. These are both not uncommon.

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    So evaluating the circuit, relay "G" also control Front and rear lights via fuse 19 and 20

1) you have front and rear lights, yes? (this narrows your issue only to the fuse 21 circuitry)

2) even though you replaced the relay remove it and jumper a wire from where pin 33 to pin 87 would go , does the fuse still blow?

3) the circuit does go back to the indicator switch and it should be the wire on the bottom, please push on the solder connection to make sure it is soldered, please inspect all wires in this tiny area and make sure none are touching or can touch

report back

6. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It seems to me that so much grief is caused by the fuse box I'm wondering if there is an upgrade out there? One that perhaps uses blade fuses to instead of the ceramic ones.

Is there an upgrade out there?

Jeff

7. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    I will try this tomorrow morning and report back

8. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    The car was working perfectly…is completely original without any repairs

9. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    we're talking about a 30 year old car. weather its a blade fuse or other does not really have a bearing here.

fact is, something broke. and something shorted.

now then, all things considered... i think these cars do pretty damn good!
    compared to modern vehicles, they're EXCEPTIONAL for how long they last, without an expected failure like this.

10. Rover1551

Rover1551 Karting

Aug 12, 2015
    Tampa, Fla.
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Have any bulbs been changed prior to this problem? A car came into our shop with the most bizarre lighting problem and they swore nothing had been touched. Turned out that a single filament bulb was installed in a dual filament socket feeding current to all kinds other systems through the grounding. Good luck to you with it. I would also find, clean, & lube with dielectric grease all ground connections.

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I produce them with 2.5mm2 copper wires instead of the layers. And bigger connectors to reduce heat production.

Due to the problem...started after you changed the relays or before...? Look if the pins of your relays dont touch one to an other inside the fusebox...seems to me you shorted there.

Guido

12. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Started before changing the relays….i just changed the relays to test if there were working well or not

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    what you can do is removing all bulbs from that circuit. And put them back one by one to see what bulb line (or bulb itself) is your problem.

Guido

14. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    this is why previously I mentioned checking the circuit for continuity at each step of the circuit from ground. it narrows all of what this does, but does not risk the circuit.

15. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    did not have the time yet….saturday

16. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    aint that the truth.

i've got one car (non-mondy) that fried out the wires on back of the cluster.

weekend, it eventually gets done on!

17. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    A simple but valuable check is to measure the resistance between ground and the "87" terminals of relais f, g, q and r. You can use the perfect fusebox drawing of dfranzen to locate the relais and terminal "87".

You only need a multimeter (lowest range ohm setting, calibrate for 0 ohm).

Before you start you have to:
    1. Remove the + connection of the accu.
    2. Remove relais f, g, q and r.
    3. Be sure all fuses are ok, including fuse 17

Now:
    1. Measure the resistance between terminal 87 of relais f (fusebox) and ground (find a good ground). Do this for all light switch combinations.
    2. Repeat this for relais g, q and r.

If you find a resistance lower than 1 ohm then record/report this (relais number and switch position) because this can give more information about the location of the problem.

18. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    1) Yes I do
    2) there is no pin 33, i did it from pom 33 to 87 and it blows
    3) inside indicator is perfect

19. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    All the lights are disconnected except the rear big round red ones and still blows

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #70 MvT, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    just take out the bulbs on the rear ones. You can take away the covers one each side in the trunk and the rest speaks for itself and try again. The lights in the console are still burning. I still say it is your fuse board that is the issue. It is so unlikely with the Mondial that wires (harness) would be the issue since everything was working fine before.

21. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #72 FCnew, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  22. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  23. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    All rear lights disconnected….still burns the fuse…..

24. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Done:
    1) OK
    2) OK
    3 OK

All give less than 1 ohm, nearly 0. So?