Plug wires | FerrariChat

Plug wires

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, Dec 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    '83 QV: Given the negligible number of computers operating within my 83 QV, and the fact that I never turn the radio on in the car - do I really need my spark plug wires to be the high resistance, beautiful silicone (?) - sleeved expensive type? Wouldn't a set of the old school plug wires work just as well?

This is perhaps a dumb idea, but I could use an expert opinion or two.

I understand why such expensive wires are necessary today, but wonder if absolutely needed on 1983 technology.

Thanks,
    J

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Have my "old school" wires since 1982 and no problems so far ! Just keep the car in a dry place ....

Guido

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I tried using a length from the local shop on my 87 mondial to make up a set- it started up with a series of pops and back fires- not my finest moment.. Try it as it might scare the neibours

4. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    My XDI ignition came with very nice red 7mm wires. What I did was cut the old wires and remove them from the boot. Then feed the new wire through the boot with some left out. eliminate extenders by putting the wire on then sliding the boot down to valve cover. Worked pretty nice.

5. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    Here is your wire solution which includes eliminating the troublesome extenders. You will be amazed and very inexpensive

Attached Files:

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Depends what you mean by "old school". Using a solid conductor, zero ohm, zero impedance wire risks damaging the output transistors in the DigiPlex ECUs switching the coil primaries. Using high resistance carbon filament conductor wires would probably be OK, but reduces the spark energy delivered and seems unnecessary as many "spiral wound" aftermarket wires similar to the stock F wires are available. You need some impedance in the "wire+extender+spark plug" path to protect those transistors IMO.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can get a full set of 8 leads for between £178 and £250 from Superperformance, so about 20/30£ each. Pretty good if they last 10 years

8. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Steve's reply tells me the risk factor - I'll NOT be changing anything!

Thanks to all,

J

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name: