Polishing out scuffs versus filling them in | FerrariChat

Polishing out scuffs versus filling them in

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by southerncharm, Dec 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southerncharm

southerncharm Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    I have a few scuffs on the hood of my Ferrari I would like to remove. Normally to remove surface marks people polish their paint, is there another alternative?

Scuffs by their nature are indentations, so what polishing accomplishes is bringing down the paint around the scuff to the depth of the scuff. Why would I want to reduce the paint thickness of the surrounding area to match that of the scuff?

Does any company manufacture a clear filler type polish that will "fill in" the indentation instead?

2. 38 Off

38 Off Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Pace, FL
    Full Name:
    Phil Crain
    try Maguires "Paint Cleaner", in their typical purple bottle. have been using it for a number of years, and I use the word miracle--it's amazing how much stuff it will take off. leaves it shiny, just wax when done. let me know if you use it how it works for you.

3. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Does your car have clear coat on it? If so you may be able to fill the scratch with clear coat (probably even laquer) but if you do not have clear coat you will best-off filling with the same color paint and wet sanding with 600 grit with a "block", then 1500, then buffing.
    I would use a sword stripping brush because they hold a lot of paint.

Mark