Poll for a paid FerrariChat site | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poll for a paid FerrariChat site

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F SPIDER, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should FerrariChat be a paid site

1. I will not pay for FC

2. I am willing to pay a nominal fee, say $10/year

3. I am willing to pay $3 per month

4. I am willing to pay more than $3 per month

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I hate to say this, but honestly I'd pay $10 to get the old software, or it ease of use back.

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I've found the advice I've received here quite valuable, and I would be willing to pay a "membership fee." I voted for $3 a month, but I'm thinking more in line of $20 per year or so, similar to a magazine subscription.

I have been a Rennlist member for some time, and that model, the voluntary membership + perks for members, seems to work well. Isn't the Rennlist annual membership about $20? As I recall, Rennlist also briefly sold "lifetime" memberships at a much higher cost - was it $300 or so? It does seem to me difficult to construct truly valuable perks for members, beyond forum participation and, on Rennlist, I'm not even sure what goodies I receive as a member.

My, aren't we all resistant to change ...

Cheers, Will

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I miss the old board . Was much clearer , as Dan said , i dont i ll be visiting as much as i did when it was running on the old board.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    don't get your panties in a knot, gentlemen.

as far as i know, we still don't have any definitive information from rob on how this is going to work, what it's going to cost, and what benefits paying will have over using the site for free.

doody.

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I pay $85/year for my Ferrari Club of America membership, and I get a lot more 'Ferrari value' on a day-to-day basis from this site than from the FCA. I'd gladly pay $10 to $20/year for Ferrarichat.

6. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I believe $10.00 is well worth the cost. Last week I saved $400.00 from info received about oil cooler line. I also have my Ferrari in Ferrari- Ads section, and have had two calls which has cost nothing. Dave Wexall and myself P & VP of FCA Michigan Chapter use Ferrari chat site to get out information about club functions. Keep up the good work Rob I could go on and about this site.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I will gladly pay.
    I buy car magazines, sometimes for just one article!!
    I do think this a very productive thread still as far as some are not against paying, but rather the mechanics of paying.
    Also to compare this new format as a pay site to the old free site is simply not realistic.
    This site has been up a total of 36 hours an what there are bugs!?
    What did some of you expect!?
    Heck i don't even buy the first model yr. of any car!!!
    Give it a chance.....
    Im sure Rob will make this site better than ever, he wants to do the right thing.

Dave

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    What is the opinion of Rob himslef? I keep missing that actually. Maybe that can bring an end to this duscussions

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Hey, Rijk! I don't have a problem with a fee-based site, but i think certain parts of it should be free, and open to the public. A completely "closed" site will put off potential new users (and, despite the occasional troll, the new blood is usually beneficial to everybody).

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    From a marketing perspective, it would axe the "Over 2,500 registered users" to probably 3-400. Granted, there's likely only a few hundred "regulars" but I think it would chop the numbers to a small, small fraction of the current membership.

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Nobody who has been a part of this site long enough to realize its value should balk at kicking in a few dollars. The apartment building isn't going condo folks--we're talking about maybe dozens of dollars per year. There is no entitlement to free FerrariChat, even though Rob did get us hooked like a crack dealer. All potential new members should receive a free trial period, or perhaps it should be structured so that you can read for free, but pay to be a participant. The point made is a good one about potential savings made through posted tech advice, as well as other things. Think also of the intrinsic value of this site, through which I know I've met a lot of great and interesting people.

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    depends...

If it is a hosting issue, I or many other members could hook it up for free hosting. Seems like a fun crowd, and I would probably pay a slight fee for the usage of the board.

13. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guys,
    In reading all your posts, I am offering a suggestion. What happens if we ask new users for a donation to the site. They could make it for amounts like $5, $10, $20...etc. Then these people that donate money maybe these users could get their user name changed to a different color (based on the amount of the donation) and could also have a small icon, maybe of their car or someother picture, placed under their user name when they post. Also, every year a email could be sent out asking for a donation for that year, perhaps also with some comments about the website, etc. That way we could make it a fair playing field for everyone. Its a suggestion that I'm throwing out there so comment as much as you like. You guys are like family to me, I dont want to lose people just cause we cant work this out. Thanks Everyone!!! :)

~ Mike P.

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What the heck.... I'm already paying $9.95 a month for my NudeTeenGirls.com
    (whoops I meant to say- Study of Female Art) :rolleyes:

$20/ a year for F-chat is just a way to help out.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
  16. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Bill,

I think you're right. There could be several levels. Reading free, posting free for a certain period(?) nominal fee will get you thumbnails and if you want large pictures, you need to pay a premium

Rijk

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wow, if reading this thread taught me anything, it's that there are about 100 different opinions. I really appreciate this discussion. A few points...

1) I would never do anything that hurt the board overall! If subscriptions would kill the board, then I wouldn't do it plain and simple. There are a few users (more than a few :)) frustrated with the new software, but not any worse than when I upgraded the old software version 18 months ago. With all the *****ing and threats, we didn't loose a single user in the long run because of it.

2) I haven't worked out how I'll implement subscriptions as a trial. The old user base is still here without a subscription for quite a while. The trial period would be seeing how new users responded to having a subscription. If after a few months it wasn't working, then I would obviously back the changes out.

3) I realize some users wouldn't pay for a subscription. However, FC has been growing out of control and many of our recent headaches have been related to this growth. So far at least 65% of the respondents in this poll said they would pay a subscription. I imagine the other 35% would warm up to the idea as I work hard to make FerrariChat.com a great place to be. For anyone else that still holds out, then based on their lack of respect for FerrariChat.com, the work I do, or simply they're not that passionate about Ferraris. Then we just weeded out many of the quality issues that were plaguing us on the old board.

4) There are 100k+ true Ferrari enthusiasts on the internet, they just all haven't found FC yet. Do you think I really want all 100k here. FC started with 10 users and it was a great community. It would never happen, but I would still do this site with those same 10 users. I do this site for the love of it. The more users that have signed on, then the more headaches I've had to endure. Who do you think gets contacted when someone forgets their password/username, or has a technical question about the software, wants me to edit/delete a post, wants me to monitor a thread? I get 50-100 emails a day on top of the work to participate/monitor the actual community, pay the bills, do server maintenance, and make enhancements. All of this for loosing money for my 3rd year. At least subscriptions puts a revenue component inline with the number of users and headaches.

5) There's a bunch of ways to structure subscriptions and that's why I appreciate this discussion. As a reference for continuing the discussion, here are my current thoughts...

- Unsubscribed users can view the GFD and Tech sections.
    - Subscribed users will have complete permissions to view, post, and search all forums.
    - Subscription would be 6 months, although a lifetime subscription seems popular from the responses I've received.

It would be easy to have various levels and term of subscription. I like the idea of someone to have a trial for the board, although I think the current allowing to view the GFD and Tech is enough.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    6) The top 1-3% of the users that are truely experts in various areas that add value like technical, historians, racing, and etc. will be part of the FerrariChat.com consultant program and will have many benefits. One of them not having to pay a subscription.

19. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I have mixed feelings about the pay thingy.

But bottom line, F-chat is one of the only websites I frequent, and I've made good friends (yes, even Art :) ) on this site. Would that make me willing to pay? Sure, I guess.

But what makes me even more willing to pay is the fact that Rob deals with a lot of crap to keep this place moving. THe amount of work he does to provide this forum for us deserves, in my opinion, some sort of compensation, even if it doesn't make him rich.

Do I want to pay? Of course not. I can barely eat during the week (college student with no job). Would I pay? Of course I would! I've met people on this site that I would call good friends, and am I going to let $20bux keep me from calling them friends?

And again, Rob deserves it, damnit.

20. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Let's see:

Ferrari Chat wouldn't be available if it wasn't for Rob Lay

Rob uses his own time and hardware to make it run ?

The Tri state New York area is filled with great people who I would not have met had it not been for Ferrari Chat

The technical advice has been excellent and at no charge

I get more out of Ferrari Chat than I do the Ferrari Club of America

Why would someone not want to pay ten bucks for this???? The FCA charges over $120 for what? The ability to put their decal on the window of your car? (Fifteen minutes on FC have more value than FCA's worthless newsletter if you are in the Empire Region, and a quarterly magazine that is all gloss and less substance compared to Forza or Cavallino) Oh wait a minute, I'm wrong, the Empire Region is going to have a holiday party :eek:

Count me in on a fee based site.

21. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    OK,OK,OK.

Rob,

You've nearly had me in tears.

It's like a little angelic faced 4 year old turning up on your doorstep.
    saying "please mister".

Rob you're the best
    How can I resist

I love you

Where do I send the cheque ?

;) ;) ;)

Wazza

22. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Owning a Ferrari is not at all like owning a Ford or a Toyota or anything else, except perhaps a Lamborghini. The insights and information from current owners is absolutely priceless. Dealers certainly would not provide this much critical information. As a browser and not a chatter, I would certainly pay.

23. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    And the new site is much better as well.

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I think that having a "free trial" subscription undermines the purpose of having pay subscriptions to cut down on trolls.

If the purpose of subscriptions is to limit growth of the board, ... I think the business term for that is "self defeating". ;) When the board becomes too large for one person to manage, you can either go back to having a small board, or add moderators.

Sometimes, that can answer the revenue issue as well, with sections "sponsored" (and moderated) by specific vendors. For example, on the vBulletin based evolutionm.net board, the tire and suspension forums are sponsored by TireRack and moderated by TR personnel.

Rob, check out evolutionm.net and nasioc.com forums. Both are vBulletin based, have very large populations (dealing with all Mitsu and Scooby products, respectively). Both have more active advertising than Fchat, both have more moderators, and both are still free.

And more moderators also make dealing with trolls easier, too.

Let's not get confused in the objectives, here. A pay site can be used to limit growth, limit membership, or increase revenue. More moderators can cope with increased growth and manage membership, and expanded advertising might enhance revenue. Certainly a board with a larger population can get more revenue out of advertising than a small board.

Granted, there aren't as many superchip, coil-over, bling wings, and body kit vendors for the Ferrari community as there are for the ricers.

So if it's about revenue, then that's one thing.

But if you're being overwhelmed by the board's success, remember that the key to success is to not flinch when it comes. After all, Billy built a massive software company on software he didn't even have yet. ;)

25. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Forums on the web are plentiful and they all have one thing in common - people with something specific in common. That is an advertiser's dream. I believe any worthwhile forum that attracts the level of interest that FC does should be easily sustainable from advertising revenue. The better the site from an informational and ease-of-use perspective, the more eyeballs it will attract.

That's the secret to success on the web.

Regardless of the "votes", a charge to access this site would result in 99% of the users dropping off. You'd be left with DES and Allanlambo squaring off with no-one there to watch except for Rob Lay