Poll: GT4 or Mondial? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

1. 308 GT4

2. Mondial

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If its a fun car for road and track then its got to be the Dino GT4, handles better than a 308gtb and sounds soooo much better than a mondial 8 or qv (sorry phil but the mondials need tubi's like the 400's need rust proofing!)
    if its a happy fun sunday car for all the family the it must be a 3.2 or3.4 Mondial Cab, practical, solid and lots of room inside

2. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Andrew, you have hit the nail on the head, it's whatever fills the requirment, I do not do track days in my Fcar, and to be honest it does not do too many miles, but I have now discovered something I should have known all along, it's a great tourer, and as such is good fun, dispite a starter problem I drove the 1500 miles with a smile.

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    1. Mondial 3.2 or T Cabrio
    2. GT/4
    3. Mondial QV Cabrio
    4. Mondial 3.2 or T coupé
    5. Mondial 3.0 or QV

4. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    I would go with the mondial T cabriolet. The front end and dash look similar to the 328.

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    A well sorted out GT4 will have the reliability you may need. Though the looks are subjective, I love em! Most importantly though, the GT4 really handles beautifully!

6. astjr

astjr Karting

Feb 13, 2004
    I voted for GT4 for two reasons: First is weight, it's lighter. Second is I believe it has a lower polar moment of inertia, especially without the heavy U.S. crash bumpers. I know the Mondial has more power but I feel the extra weight more than offsets the extra power, but what do I know...

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Im on my second Mondial, so can i vote twice!?

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Its obvious which choice I made! GT4!!! But I still like Mondials, they are definitely roomier and later examples are easier to run/maintain. Still can't beat the classic-ness of the GT4: Carbs, old-fashioned, aircraft-style dashboard with toggle switches, an unexplainable old-world hand-crafted feel to it.

That's a nice Red-Boxer you're driving Jordan. I like the front air-dam on it (rare). See you at Concorso!

9. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    With you totally! I took my 83 QV to Le Mans, no probs and a dream ride over four days! Full camping gear, wife and loads of 'extra's' on the way back with space to spare...dare I say it but a practical ferrari!

10. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Mondial T, if for no other reason than it has the best interior. The T also comes with more power, but requires engine-out maintenance. It is also the newest and most expensive. For the cost of a nice T-cabrio you could buy a GT4 for your coupe and a Mondial QV Cab for your convertible.

If you remove the T from the discussion, then it would be dead-even for me. I never really liked the GT4, but it has really grown on me especially in certain colors like yellow and blue. With the right wheels and color they look very nice.

11. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I love my '78 GT4. Of all my street cars, the GT4 is the one that handles most like my race car. Plus, it's been the most reliable of my exotics. The Weber carbs make great induction noise, and yesterday breezed through Chicago emissions testing again. I drove it to work today.

12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #37 Dom, Aug 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey- That's me driving my car!! Although if you think I look as young as Jordan, that's very cool :)

Jordan, we're going to have to get some more photos of you driving the car one of these days. Maybe at Dromo1 this weekend?

So many people ask me about that air-dam. If you look at the factory update sheet (Tech revs) for the GT4 (posted on Gerrit's site), it shows instructions for fitting the air-dam. I would have thought that all of the cars that were updated to Ferrari specs would have this update, but apparently not.

Dom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    308 GT4 by a mile. Boxy FIAT influenced dash design of the Mondials, Cadillac square shaped seats and ridiculously thick seats, lots of plastic on the dash. Larger back seat is a plus but at the expense of looks---car looks too long. Side grills do not look integrated into the car for some reason. 80-82 Mondials are so gutless, they cannot get out of their own way. JMHO.

EXCEPTION: SNJ5's Mondial rocks. Has the best of both worlds, sensorless reliability, sound and 4 valves per plus the larger displacement engine rocks.

14. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Dom you are too kind :)

Will you be at Crystal Cove on Saturday as well?

15. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I will probably be at CC. Will definately be at Dromo1.

Dom

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks -I'm blushing - but the car does rock.

best to all my mid engine 2+2 buds - the unrecognized geniuses of the Ferrari world (with the V-12 2+2's)

rt

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm not crazy about any of the mid-engine 2+2's, but I think the last Mondials, with the more-rectangular side intakes, are the best looking of all of them. The appearance began to improve with the 3.2 models (with their 328-type grilles and bumpers) and improved more with the new intakes.

It's interesting that Ferrari never followed up the Mondial with a new mid-engine 2+2; maybe they decided the whole concept wasn't really valid? It took them 20 years to figure that out.......

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    1974GT4don-
    That is a GREAT looking GT4. What kind of wheels? I normally don't dig aftermarket wheels that much, but those are great. Has the car been lowered?

747-
    Whose blue Gt4 is that? That is a wonderful looking car.

Funny how much the GT4 has grown on me, but especially since I saw one in person. They are so much more beautiful in person than in pictures.

Birdman

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ditto.

Pete

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Actually, the thing about the Mondial I don't like much is it's name; I think Ferrari would have had better luck if they had named it in line with the 12 cylinder precedent:
    The 308/328 GTC/4
    or a 308/328 GT Lusso

best
    rt
    Mondial 3.2M
    :)

21. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Birdman, thank you kindly! Those are 16" 3-piece Epsilon Wheels purchased in 87. I love the BBS look style, just my thing. 16X7 front, 16X8 rear. Car has not been lowered, but I rebuilt the entire suspension about 6 months ago. The BBS basket weave look grows on a GT4 for some reason. Not just any basket weave IMO, but the basket weave design that shows the 5 lug bolts, not the later design of the center cap covering the bolts. Looks too prissy IMO and detracts from the design greatly. Too bad the manufacturers stopped that design altogether.

22. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Personally, I love both. When I was getting into purchasing a Ferrari, I was looking for something that I could take my kids in and after owning 2 T cabs, I find the car practical beyond my expectations.

I think the GT4 styling handles the extended wheelbase better but judging by the comments, it did so by not really making room for people back there. I can take two sets of clubs, golf gear and another player to the course, make runs to Home Depot and generally use the car everyday without regrets.

We definitely have a practical sportscar in either case...

- JMG

23. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I voted GT4 for the blend of handling, sound, performance and ease of maintenance. The early Mondials were slower than the outgoing GT4 by quite some margin.

I think the Mondial looks better from most angles, especially front and back. I prefer the GT4's side view though.

24. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Just bought my first Fcar yesterday - needs some TLC so I won't be picking it up for a few days.

It had to be a convertible, so there was no other choice than the Mondial. Opted for 3.4t, 1990, before cats were fitted. :):)

25. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Nice, I came to the same conclusion :)

It´s about time for Ferrari to offer a 2+2 cabriolet again.