Poll: GT4 or Mondial? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

1. 308 GT4

2. Mondial

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Couldn't agree more. How hard would it be for Ferrari to convert the 575 into a 2+2, given their experience with the 550 barchetta?

Even if you don't have kids to go in the back that extra(only!) luggage space always comes in handy for golf clubs etc.

2. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    what is it about that? not totally comparing my experiences, as it will be probly a year or two before i'll have my hairy butt in a ferrari, but that "raw" experience is always what i'm after, and it seems most other people just don't "get it".

a lot of the people i know keep "upgrading" (a-huh :( ) every 2nd year to the newest model boring deluxe. a while ago, when i got my current best ride, i had a choice between two models of X1/9 (yes, i know, a try-hard ferrari, but grins are worth 10 times what you pay for them), a 1978 twin-cam, and a 1989 low-mileage bertone. this '89 (i know, sounds old...) drove as well... strike that, BETTER, than any brand new (yeah commuter, but not many) cars i've driven.

my chick, she LOVED the comfort, the electronic windows/seats/stuff, leather targa, quiet, supple ride, nice easy closing doors. as a driver, it had good balance (a BIT too much inertia), the gear shifts were smoother than honey, the acceleration was hard, smooth and predictable, the driving position was high (for a 3'5" tall car) and everything werked.

then we took the '78 twin-cam out... it was noisy, stank of fuel (IDF's baby), had notchy but strong gears which had a BACKWARDS H pattern and often required double-clutching, was noisy, some of the switches had never been used and the owner didn't know what they did, and did i mention the noise? a set of IDF's right behind the driver's head is frickin amazing.

well, you can guess what car i went for. every now and then my chick bring's up "the bertone" and how i wouldn't have had half the troubles with that thing, i mention something about driving being something that should be fun, and her eyes glaze over.

being a programmer/gis/database guy, it's strange that i don't trust technology... or perhaps fitting... either way, when i get in a car, if it's not almost entirely mechanical in operation, i don't really feel comfortable.

obviously, i'm the one who just doesn't "get it".

3. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    oh, i vote Mondial.

for no other reason that as long as i've been lusting 'raris, i've been enjoying open top motoring, and not sure i can ever go back to tin-tops.

i also notice that at this time i am a very pivotal vote, and for that i feel honoured. :D

edit: just noticed, before i came along, it was 50:50... exactly. :D

4. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes

Looks like I get to make it 50/50 again, my vote goes to the GT4, looks much better than any Mondial.

Although both are great Ferraris.

Regards to all

Phil.

5. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    GT4, but then I am biased.
    Carbs, no cats most years, 70's metal and leather interior (the Mondial's interior always reminded me of a Fiero, probably just because it was the popular style in the 80's). Unfortunately the Mondial's (and any other car as well) plastic interior componets are going to degrade over time and will be impossible to replace. The Mondial is still a fine car, just not my cup of tea.

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I love that photo Mike! Now, just how fast have you gone on that nice straight road?... ;)

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Maybe a little difference...does anyone who likes the mondial like the interior more then the GT4? I dont..

8. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    The GT4 dashboard is unbeatable - at least by any Mondial. There is only one part of the Mondial interior which I prefer over the GT4 - the soft top ... ;)

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I really like GT/4 a lot, but from one owner's long term daily use point of view some Mondial engineering advantages (not as obviously sexy) that you don't see from the outside swayed me:
    Factory rustproofing, Nikasil cylinders, more room inside and factory rustproofing.

10. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Actually Pete, the straight road is behind the camera. About 2-3 miles perfectly straight and level, corn fields on both sides, no crossroads and only about 3 miles from my house. The centerline on the road is the Ohio-Indiana border so one can move (swerve) into another state (jurisdiction) if necessary.

I hope to get my car back on the road this weekend after about 6 months of casual work on the rear suspension, CV joints and exhaust system. I spent some time pulling out all of the factory seam sealer in the rear fender/trunk areas. No paint, just factory bare metal under the sealer. I studied the sheetmetal in that area and with the exception of the inner lip around the wheelwell, it is just flat panels overlapping each other and an occasional spot weld. It should be relatively easy to replace any damaged panels.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm getting in on this late; but I have always preferred the GT4, especially one with 16" QV wheels. That said, I also like the later Mondial t.

Dave

12. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Guess what I voted for....

13. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Guys, Let's compare apples to apples.

Since the GT4 never came as a convertible, we should only be comparing it to the Mondial Coupe.

With that said, My vote is for the GT4, with a pair of 16" wheels and lowered suspension. The look is classic, The carbs sound great and not everyone knows it's a Ferrari.

Ron

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I was... :)
    It's really pretty cool that the vote is essentially even...

15. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Some weeks ago someone posted the picture of a white 208 GT4 Cabriolet (aftermarket conversion, of course). If we had this picture in this thread the GT4 might have gotten more votes ...

16. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Well im just about to buy a GT4 over a Mondial so that answers the question!

17. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    #67 maurice70, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    #68 maurice70, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Enjoy it and dont look back.Post some pictures when you get a chance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    :) Your twin brother.

20. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    I really want to see that car.
    I have searched throught the treads but I can't find it.
    Anybody knows where it is? Please repost or PM me.
    Thanks.

21. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
  22. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I've got a Mondial, but when I bought it the GT4 was not even in the running. Mainly because I wanted a more modern looking car, and something with more rear legroom. I prefer the looks of the Mondial too, but I do think the GT4 looks good in the right colours.

Another thing. Now this is controversial.... I feel that Im too yound to own a GT4! In my mind its more for the older gentleman. Its like a Daytona or 330 etc would better suit someone who is mid aged than someone in their 20s. Similarly a 360CS is better suited (image wise) for the lower age brackets than the older ones. Not saying there is anything wrong with elder (with all respect) people driving them, but its all about suiting. Now i've put my foot in it!

23. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Damn, I must be an old Fart at 35! I must say though, I think I am the youngest GT4 owner that I know, so maybe you are right. I think the GT4 would appeal to an older driver, since it is more raw. Someone who can appreciate carbs. Still, I hate to think of myself as old.

Peter and Jay? How old are you guys? You strike me as being young also.

Dom

24. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Dom I'm 33 and bought my car when I was 31.I dont consideer myself as old or young.I'm in between if you know what I mean(I think that rhymes?).Ive allways been into older cars.When I was looking for a gt4 I couldn't find a good one so I bought a 74 maserati merak.I also had a 72 alfa spyder at the timeand then I came across the gt4 and I fell in love with it.So I sold the alfa and was going to sell the merak but didn't get around to it so I kept it.It makes a great partner for the gt4.I thought of selling both of them and getting a 246 but then I had a kid and he fits in the back of the gt4 in a childs seat which is also red and black and I think he looks so cool in it.So it has sort of become a second family weekend family car.To stay on topic the mondial never crossed my mind but I did look at a mondial t but it was too much money.

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I bought my Mondial at 30. :)

I bought my 365 GT4 2+2 at 23. :D